Lazer ZX-RR shock parts help

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MonkeyFish

Lazer ZX-RR shock parts help

Post by MonkeyFish »

Hello, I've just joined this forum as I'm trying to resurrect my old Lazer ZX-RR. I've most of the info I need from this and other forums, but I have some broken/worn parts for the RR variant that I was hoping someone could help me with!

Ultimate shock mounts - Shock part no.s are W-5098 and W-5099, and just found the plastic part no. I need is W-5127 'plastic parts' (https://rc.kyosho.com/en/w5127.html).

Got those part no.s from here, thanks! https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=36716&sid=34eb151ae94592057fac5c4a31d0d83f

The problem I have is the top mounts (is that the right term?) keep popping out of the top of the cap, as they no longer have the wider flange attached. It's item 11 in the above post.

Getting an actual pack of W-5127 seem rather a lot of money delivered from the US to the UK...

Does anyone know of any other parts that will fit? Or alternatively some other caps entirely that will fit the shock case?

I measured the diameter of the top mount, and that needs to be 9mm. Case diameter (not including thread) is 12mm, if that helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kll-tVf_hWog8yOz14xAlMehXfLXZKZl/view?usp=sharing

It's the sort of thing I would normally just walk into a hobby store for and try them all until I find something that works, but that can't happen right now for obvious reasons.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX-RR shock parts help

Post by adam lancia »

Can you post a picture of the threads at the top of the shock body? I'm wondering if Kyosho gold shock caps or Duratrax gold shock caps might thread on. They might not be as tall as the stock pieces but if they thread on, you should be able to make them work.

There are a few Lazer groups on Facebook, have you tried asking there? They've been a great help to me in answering some modification questions.

MonkeyFish

Post by MonkeyFish »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QCghyzWXkZCdfr0MNGNy6uODrGwng76P/view?usp=sharing

Here it is with the cap off, hopefully you can access this, shared from google drive.

I don't know the thread size other than it isn't M12, as the shaft without the thread is 12.1mm. The outer diameter of the thread is 12.9mm. 1/2" maybe? Is that a standard size for shock caps?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

How bad are the shipping and fees?

Here, they are $8 (US) shipped.

Have you checked sources other than Kyosho direct? I found them available from several places, all cheaper than Kyosho.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

MonkeyFish wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:10 am https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QCghyzWXkZCdfr0MNGNy6uODrGwng76P/view?usp=sharing

Here it is with the cap off, hopefully you can access this, shared from google drive.

I don't know the thread size other than it isn't M12, as the shaft without the thread is 12.1mm. The outer diameter of the thread is 12.9mm. 1/2" maybe? Is that a standard size for shock caps?
They just might thread on, but the problem you'll run into is that the gold shock caps are meant to seal the bladder between the top edge of the shock body and the roof of the cap. Your equalizers have a shoulder that will probably prevent the gold cap from threading on all the way and sealing the bladder to the roof of the cap. If you have one on hand to try then great, but if you have to buy one (or a set) that could end being a bit of a gamble. Plus you'll need different upper shock mounting bushings for the gold shock caps.