Egress re-release !

The place for all things re-release Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: Egress re-release !

Post by rccars4sal »

I remember runnin an avante on the street. It was built using full bearings, which probably came stock? Used some kind of cheap mod motor and a regular old 6 cell nicad pack. Of course first things that gave were the front knuckles. After waiting for ages to get new ones,, the second thing that gave was rear gear box right where that tiny littl bearing seats to support the bevel gear I believe. Just melted away! Thats when I too realized that avante wasnt really any kind of serious contender,, just a very cool and complex play car. I think third thing that gave,, after getting a new rear gear box was the support for the center ball diff. I remember it being supported by a sliding plastic plate that keyed into the motor plate.

Thats pretty much why I didnt collect them any more. Molded plastic. No good for long term survival,, even if you dont run them.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

This is an amazingly informative thread with your input! I still haven't started a thread for my re-re Avante but when I do build it, I had been thinking about running it a little for fun. But this advice makes me reconsider that for sure!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Tomas Karlsson
Approved Member

Post by Tomas Karlsson »

I love your posts Tamiyadan! This is the truth when racing them, i raced an Evo for a short while and some astutes, parts where a big problem and Tamiya havent succeded to find good retailers in many countries.

Thanks again for sharing, i am happy to own two undriven egresses and will not buy a rere because there is a lot better machines to put out on a track, as you mentioned the Top force, i haveone in my pipeline atm for vintage competitions.

Regards

Tomas from Sweden.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Tomas Karlsson
Approved Member

Post by Tomas Karlsson »

Thanks again! Youre a true Tamiya source.

A thread is on it´s way so i can get the proper support there:)

//Tomas

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

tamiyadan wrote:top force is a good car, the TA chassis was decently strong, shaft drive with little torque steer, the parts are reasonably tough as well. the complaint was the tolerance was TERRIBLE and you had lots and lots of play in everything.

The TA allowed you to do some interesting things.

The Ta-02,01, was basically tamiya lego the Ta-03 was terrible by comparison.

The standard Top force is pretty lacking on i would say needed upgrades.

I would recommend swapping the plastic Motor mount for a metal one, it helps with alignment and heat and is a must if you plan on a motor hotter then 20 turns.

There is a Speed tuned gear set that has better ratios for lower turn motors as well.

I would recommend the center mount oneway, they called it a torque splitter, but you can also use the front one way to the same effect, a TL-01 version could be made to fit.
TA-03 Ball diffs are a good swap because you will reduce rotational mass and gear face friction.

I'm going off memory its been 20 years but there are also many ways to lighten the chassis.
Carbon fiber gear shafts.
there was a cast aluminum upgrade for the ball diffs that massively save rotational mass but at the cost of strength you could strip out the diff output shafts.
Fiberlyte still makes carbon shock towers, and sway bar setups.
Titanium hardware is a good thing as well.

now i remember there was 2 step ups for the gear box.
the top force came with Solid steel shafts for the gear box,
the Evo came with hollow steel shafts.
and the upgrade was to carbon fiber.

MY evo i upgraded with carbon shafts, added the metal motor mount(tamiya didn't include it) and i upgraded the hub carriers to duralumium also, i also ran the aluminum diff hardware and i used the narrow diff gears, TA03 style. the evo came with the speed tuned gear set the top force didn't, i have to take a look at my car i know i'm forgetting a ton of stuff.

As a quick Hack jump down to the local sporting goods store and buy carbon fiber arrows. the shaft size of the arrows matches the tamiya 5MM shafts and you can quickly shave some weight off the chassis.

There was also a couple of different ways to shave weight with titanium hardware,,, thing is tamiya stopped making some of the parts they had titanium ball joints and they also had Coated ball joints with Teflon. those were awesome because the thickness tightened up the steering linkage.

if you use titanium you can shave another 5-20 grams off the chassis.
I would leave the Shock hardware as steel titanium will bend and snap easy since it is brittle.

oh i'm having a flood of memories on the top force and evo... The ball bearing support steering was a good upgrade on the top force as well.
you can get GPM parts to get the top force near evo spec and sometimes surpass it. i would stay away from the alumium suspension arms,
and i would not use aluminum steering knuckles. the alumium front uprights were a good upgrade because it gave you 2 caster options i think one was 10 degrees and the other was 20 degrees, when you flipped them plus they were bearing supported,,, can't 100% remember would have to get my evo paper work out again and have a look.

Great, great stuff, Tamiyadan. Absolutely fascinating and very eye-opening.
I never paid much attention to the Egress when it originally came out but eventually got caught up in the hype a couple of years ago as an adult. After seriously contemplating paying the outrageous price for an original Egress, I ended up adding a much less expensive and more capable YZ-10 to my collection a little over a year ago instead and I think your comments support my opinion that it was the right decision.

I think it's safe to conclude that the Egress/Avante is/are fascinating bits of engineering to study and are fine if mildly modified for backyard bashing and/or club events but nothing beyond that. Kinda sad since I'm sure many enthusiasts wished that the Egress was a legitimate performer that could hold up to the abuse of competition but it's just not the case.

I think the Egress is a very cool car but my practical side makes it impossible for me to justify the ~$650-$850 for an original assembled Egress that would never be run nor can I do so for the re-re at ~$560 so I don't think an Egress will be making its way into my collection.

rctodd1624
Approved Member

Post by rctodd1624 »

Does anyone know where these can be bought? Looks like they are already gone!!! Crazy

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

rctodd1624 wrote:Does anyone know where these can be bought? Looks like they are already gone!!! Crazy
Not even out yet! :wink:

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

rctodd1624 wrote:Does anyone know where these can be bought? Looks like they are already gone!!! Crazy
T has delayed flooding the market to avoid being overshadowed by RC10's re-release.

;)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

tamiya wrote:
T has delayed flooding the market to avoid being overshadowed by RC10's re-release.

;)
I thought they'd been flooding the market with re-re's for the past few years now...you mean they temporarily stopped? :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

Coelacanth wrote: I thought they'd been flooding the market with re-re's for the past few years now...you mean they temporarily stopped? :P
Afraid so, until they can regain full attention from their old timer staff.

'Cos all their olde fartes have bought RC10 Classics (they didn't believe it could happen either)
& right now are too busy building & reliving their youth rediscovering how a proper race car works. :D

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Respect. Tamiya's staff is flesh and blood. And hella respectful.. The RC10 may not be theirs but they know what it did.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

knixdad wrote:Respect. Tamiya's staff is flesh and blood. And hella respectful.. The RC10 may not be theirs but they know what it did.
or too busy reverse engineering it :P

Wondering how such a piece of golden bedpan can run rings around hitech spaceframe design of the Subaru Brat.