NIB Rally Weapon score

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tim W.
Approved Member

NIB Rally Weapon score

Post by Tim W. »

Picked this up a few weeks ago! it's sealed NIB and in perfect shape.

Vintage rides: Worlds car, RC10T, RC10GT, XX, Rally Weapon
Current rides: B5M CE, T5M, SC5, MBX7, MBX6-T, 8IGHT 2.0, K1

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: NIB Rally Weapon score

Post by DerbyDan »

Excellent - these weren't very popular when they were first released so you have a real rarity! I'm very jealous! :P

I wonder how these went on the rough stuff, I think it would have to be a fairly smooth dirt track for these to work well?

Rich Trujillo
Approved Member

Post by Rich Trujillo »

Nice find. I can give you a little background on this car. While I was the Team Manager for Losi way back in the day, I was fooling around with some extra Street Weapons we had sitting around. For fun I decided to build a rally car. If I remember correctly, Brandon Upshaw who was our machinist made me the shocks and shocks shafts and having access to our sticker machine I made up the Rally Weapon logo. Built it strictly for fun.
Pops thought it was silly that I had put this together. Ironically we had one of the Car Action editors come to visit us about a new product we were about to release (I cant recall what it was) and the editor caught me messing around with my Rally car in the parking lot during break. He loved it and couldn't stop talking about it LOL. Pops was a little mad at me for letting him see it since thats all he seemed to want to talk about LOL.
With that visit and our partners in England saying they'd love to have a Rally car, we decided to use the remaining parts we had from the Street Weapon and produced the Rally Weapon. I guess that was truly my first project for Losi before I became an official product manager. I still have my original car in my garage, I'll bust it out and take some pictures if you guys want to see it.

The Rally Weapon didn't sell like gang busters but we did move some of our inventory of SW stuff and Pops seemed to be ok with that.

Thanks for the pics and for jogging my memory,

Rich
Rich Trujillo
Sr. Product Developer
Horizon Hobby
Vaterra/Losi

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I would love to see some pics of that Rich, Huge fan of the Losi products from back then. The JR-T is what got me started in the hobby.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

there was one for sale in the BST a few days back... was it this one?

Rich, thansk for the extra info. Was the RW just a SW with a different body and shocks, or were there some other suspension mods?

Anyways, it's cool :) One of the best-suited rally cars, with fully enclosed transmission!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Rich Trujillo wrote:Nice find. I can give you a little background on this car. While I was the Team Manager for Losi way back in the day, I was fooling around with some extra Street Weapons we had sitting around. For fun I decided to build a rally car. If I remember correctly, Brandon Upshaw who was our machinist made me the shocks and shocks shafts and having access to our sticker machine I made up the Rally Weapon logo. Built it strictly for fun.
Pops thought it was silly that I had put this together. Ironically we had one of the Car Action editors come to visit us about a new product we were about to release (I cant recall what it was) and the editor caught me messing around with my Rally car in the parking lot during break. He loved it and couldn't stop talking about it LOL. Pops was a little mad at me for letting him see it since thats all he seemed to want to talk about LOL.
With that visit and our partners in England saying they'd love to have a Rally car, we decided to use the remaining parts we had from the Street Weapon and produced the Rally Weapon. I guess that was truly my first project for Losi before I became an official product manager. I still have my original car in my garage, I'll bust it out and take some pictures if you guys want to see it.

The Rally Weapon didn't sell like gang busters but we did move some of our inventory of SW stuff and Pops seemed to be ok with that.

Thanks for the pics and for jogging my memory,

Rich
Wow, thats just soo cool, thanks for sharing this with us Rich, its funny to know how the Rally Weapon came about!

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

I loved my Street Weapon, it was my first foray into 190mm, and although we had a shaky start to the relationship, we soon got on very well lol. The rally weapon, its still blooming cool...i cant recall, but was it a 200mm stance?

lee

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

ralphee wrote:I loved my Street Weapon, it was my first foray into 190mm, and although we had a shaky start to the relationship, we soon got on very well lol. The rally weapon, its still blooming cool...i cant recall, but was it a 200mm stance?

lee
Same as the SW at 190mm I believe...

Tim W.
Approved Member

Post by Tim W. »

Lonestar wrote:there was one for sale in the BST a few days back... was it this one?

Rich, thansk for the extra info. Was the RW just a SW with a different body and shocks, or were there some other suspension mods?

Anyways, it's cool :) One of the best-suited rally cars, with fully enclosed transmission!

Paul
This one was off of eBay! I seen it and had to have it!

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Lonestar wrote:there was one for sale in the BST a few days back... was it this one?

Paul
Thats the one Bob had for sale, i am sure he said it went down-under, mate :lol:

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

The new still in the shrinkwrap one I had did go to Australia. The other new, but unsealed kit went to Wisconsin. 8)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

I knew I had seen one ;)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Rich Trujillo
Approved Member

Post by Rich Trujillo »

Paul
I'd have to look at mine but I think it was just the longer shocks. Body I believe came from Parma for the production vehicles and for the life of me I can't recall where we sourced the tires...but i'm going to bet someone here probably knows :)
Rich Trujillo
Sr. Product Developer
Horizon Hobby
Vaterra/Losi

Tim W.
Approved Member

Post by Tim W. »

Rich Trujillo wrote:

Paul
I'd have to look at mine but I think it was just the longer shocks. Body I believe came from Parma for the production vehicles and for the life of me I can't recall where we sourced the tires...but i'm going to be someone here probably knows :)
I can't wait to see a picture of your prototype car Rich!

Rich Trujillo
Approved Member

Post by Rich Trujillo »

Well it took quite a bit of digging but I found it LOL. For some reason i took the electronics out of it a long time ago. the prototype Red anodized shocks I had originally done for my Truck but had them resized for the Rally Car. I had forgotten that we did them in red for the production car :)

It's a shame it just sits in my garage, I may have to list it one day so it can go to someone that will appreciate it

Rich
Rich Trujillo
Sr. Product Developer
Horizon Hobby
Vaterra/Losi