I just bought an xxx-sct some ?s

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

I just bought an xxx-sct some ?s

Post by longboardnj »

Just bought a xxx-sct(running brushless already), i gotta say i think its faster then my sc10 around the track Any tips to make the truck better? the big? that made me not want to buy losi. parts! how long till losi stops making parts? just seems like losi is a company that stops parts for there cars real quick.. i really like the 4x4 sc truck but i am scared ill spend $300 on a truck then i cant get a part.

JK Racing

Re: I just bought an xxx-sct some ?s

Post by JK Racing »

the best thing I did to my XXX SCT was graphite parts :)

The TLR tuning kit is supposed to be awesome, but I just found an old MF2 truck and robbed as much as possible off it that was graphite/titanium. If I would have known better, I would have gotten an MF1, then I could use the tranny/motor plate as well. The arms are unique to the SCT, so you really cant grab the graphite ones, you will have to settle for EA3 (Losi's new graphite replacement) arms. I am still running the RTR arms, when I break one, then it will be EA3 after that.

My truck is currently torn down and getting turned into the SCB, I have 3 other SCTs that I race regularly, not because they are better than the Losi, but that company is "helping" me, so I feel obligated :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

I have both a XXX-SCT and a SCTE 4 x 4; and I like them both a LOT.

The XXX-SCt received pretty much all of the 'Tuning Kit' parts before they were available as a package - the truck runs very well, handles as good or better (depending on circumstance) than my SC10FT. My advice would be to get a tuning kit, install it and enjoy the truck. There hasn't been any breakage on my part except for the hinge pin pivot in the rear and it's totally solid after replacing with the aluminum part.

The SCTE is my favorite vehicle of all time. It's durable beyond anything I have owned since 1986 - handles VERY well out of the box and only gets better as tuning parts are added. I just this week finally put the aluminum arm/pin mounts in the truck after running it for 1.5 years. I used a Tekin R 8 speed control and a Tekin 4 pole 4000 motor; lots of zip everywhere on the track. I can't recommend any other RC vehicle more than I recommend the SCTE!

Enjoy your trucks; they're fun, durable and depending on motor - fast as anyone could ask for!
Wherever you go; there you are!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

thanks for the info. so you guys think they will keep making the sct and scte parts for a long time? i plan on getting a scte and another xxx sct id just like to set my mind at ease before i get them

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

just got a scte 4x4 drove it in my parking lot and its great cant wait to get it on the track

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Buy a 22SCT :lol:

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

My *opinion* is that parts will be available for the XXX-XCT (meaning the entire XXX platform) for a LONG time - here are lots of this chassis around and Losi (Horizon) have always been good about supporting their vehicles after they have been discontinued. At this point in time I would not be the least afraid!

With respect to the SCTE, it's currently in production and is a 'current' vehicle; it's been out for a little over a year and a half and is EXTREMELY popular as is evidenced by your experieence! I would not hesitate to 'commit' to it at (as far as I'm concerned) the top of the pile and I don't see this changing for a long time!

AND, there's always the 22SCT as mentioned above which has very few common parts with the XXX series of vehicles. Is it enough better for the 'average guy' to justify dumping a XXX-SCT and jumping over there??? Not yet in my opinion, it's winning races because that's all the top level (sponsored and non) Losi drivers are racing. And it *seems* to be a good, solid platform but has not 'gone the distance' at this point. In my case, I'm NOT afraid of it; just don't see enough advantages to be riding the first wave. NOW, I'd feel completely different if I was racing on extra high bite tracks where the mid engine configuration is an advantage - carpet or SUPER high bit clay.

Enjoy 'dat SCTE, it's my favorite RC vehicle of all time!
Wherever you go; there you are!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Buy a 22SCT :lol:
i do want one, would love to run it mid motor setup :twisted:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Chris K wrote:My *opinion* is that parts will be available for the XXX-XCT (meaning the entire XXX platform) for a LONG time - here are lots of this chassis around and Losi (Horizon) have always been good about supporting their vehicles after they have been discontinued. At this point in time I would not be the least afraid!

With respect to the SCTE, it's currently in production and is a 'current' vehicle; it's been out for a little over a year and a half and is EXTREMELY popular as is evidenced by your experieence! I would not hesitate to 'commit' to it at (as far as I'm concerned) the top of the pile and I don't see this changing for a long time!

AND, there's always the 22SCT as mentioned above which has very few common parts with the XXX series of vehicles. Is it enough better for the 'average guy' to justify dumping a XXX-SCT and jumping over there??? Not yet in my opinion, it's winning races because that's all the top level (sponsored and non) Losi drivers are racing. And it *seems* to be a good, solid platform but has not 'gone the distance' at this point. In my case, I'm NOT afraid of it; just don't see enough advantages to be riding the first wave. NOW, I'd feel completely different if I was racing on extra high bite tracks where the mid engine configuration is an advantage - carpet or SUPER high bit clay.

Enjoy 'dat SCTE, it's my favorite RC vehicle of all time!
thanks i took it to the track and it was a ton of fun. im sad because the track was slick(kinda packed clay with a bit of dust on top perfect for me to drift a 4x4 with)but when i went this time they had rugs in the corners and a ton of traction. oh well still a ton of fun. as for the 22sct too much cash for me.. plus im real lazy now and dont think i want to spend $400 then build the car.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

I raced a XXX-SCT for a while and am currently running a SCB in a buggy class.

I've owned SC10s, blitz, slash and for me, the XXX-SCT was the best truck on the track.

As was pointed out above. Your best bet is to buy a XXXT MF1 or CR. Steal the following
shocks
titanium stuff
aluminum bulkheads
ball diff
rear carriers

Then swap the xxx-sct stuff back into the XXXT and resell it (obviously let it be known that it has a gear diff etc). You basically end up with a TLR truck minus the arms for dirt cheap.

The ONLY parts that ever gave me any long term issues was the rear bulkhead (it works loose and can strip) and the rear carriers (with a high powered brushless motor it would blow the bearings and the carrier).

The EA3 arms are DEFINITELY a nice upgrade, but you can replace them as you break them.

Also spare parts will be around for a while both in produced parts as well as being able to buy a cheap roller off ebay.

I sold a TLR XXX-SCT with spare set of tires and it went for $130. Someone could've bought that, and sold a non-TLR for $110 easily.