Trinity Kinwald - my best motor!

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Trinity Kinwald - my best motor!

Post by DerbyDan »

So I've been after a Trinity Kinwald motor for some time now - to go into the Losi XX that I am to build from my NIB kit... the intention is to build this car as close as possible to the spec of the car I used to race.

The particular version of the Kinwald motor I used Bitd, was the white label with the green writing which I think (for the UK at least) was the first of the Kinwald signature motors avaliable to us. The one I had was a 15 triple & was one of my most reliable & dependable motors... it wasn't the most extreme motor in my box but it gave good all round characteristics & became my favourite for most tracks.

The other Friday - in the pub after racing, we all got onto the subject of old motors & what was your fav... memories of getting your first machine wound 'super' motor etc - I mentioned the Kinwald motor & one of my fellow racing buddies (Ben) said he still had one - albeit in rather grubby & rough condition & that I could have it! So on reciept of this sorry looking motor I took one look at the end-bell & recognised the way the capcitors were soldered on... & sure enough there was even the mark that I'd made for re-setting the timing - IT WAS MY OLD MOTOR!!! - it conspired that after the armature had expired I had given the can & endbell to a mate (my soon to be my best-man as it happens) who in turn had passed it onto Ben.

Anyway - here's a pic of the motor in question - after a good scrub/clean, I think Ben had been using WD40 to blast dirt out of the motor as it was so black with oily brush dust :|

Despite its condition - it might still find itself mounted into the back of a new built DoubleX

JK Racing

Re: Trinity Kinwald - my best motor!

Post by JK Racing »

I was given these the other day at the track...guy saw me running a vintage car, said I have some brushed motors would I like them, I said sure...he comes back with a big box full of motors, including these:

--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

JK Racing wrote:I was given these the other day at the track...guy saw me running a vintage car, said I have some brushed motors would I like them, I said sure...he comes back with a big box full of motors, including these:

Wow! Got to love that 8)

sheriff
Approved Member

Post by sheriff »

What are the odds Dan?? Blimey.

I have a Trinity Kinwald motor. It has 'Euro' on it, would you know the wind of that?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

how cool is that... 8)
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

sheriff wrote:What are the odds Dan?? Blimey.

I have a Trinity Kinwald motor. It has 'Euro' on it, would you know the wind of that?
JK Racing - its amazing how many of the 'old' racers have come back into the hobby - especially with with the recent resergence of 1-10th Off road. Many of these guys still have their old kit.... i've been given/brought quite a few old bits & peices after chats with fellow racers...

My latest buy from such a local returning racer was indeed another Kinwald motor this time a 'Euro' one.... like the one you have sheriff, with the brown label.... I believe these were the equivilent to the red labelled 'Kinwalds' (like the one JK has kindly been given) - both being epoxy balanced but were sold in more euro-prefered winds. All of these Trinity motors were available in a variety different winds - so you cannot tell the wind by the colour of the label on the motor.... but you might find that the armature inside is marked?

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Thats sweet! I've got one of those Dirtinator motors for my XXT Kinwald build, got it from someone in the states, only had one run so was pretty much new. As Dan says, these are similar to the ones we had in the UK, only labelled up differently.

You are very lucky!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

DerbyDan wrote:
My latest buy from such a local returning racer was indeed another Kinwald motor this time a 'Euro' one.... like the one you have sheriff, with the brown label.... I believe these were the equivilent to the red labelled 'Kinwalds' (like the one JK has kindly been given) - both being epoxy balanced but were sold in more euro-prefered winds. All of these Trinity motors were available in a variety different winds - so you cannot tell the wind by the colour of the label on the motor.... but you might find that the armature inside is marked?
Here's the Euro Dirtinator Kinwald that I scored :D

As you can see its in great condition!

Still has the packaging.... this one is an 11 Quint, but suprisingly this was one of the more 'mild' motors in the selection that he brought with him!!

This Trinity range of motors were 'the' motor to have in the mid/late 90s - I had a 12x2 of the Euro spec range like this one... so this will sit nicely in the back of my new-build XX 8) My racer buddy had another brown labelled Euro spec dirtinator - but also a handfull of the purple D2s all in nice condition & suprisingly still with decent magnets!

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

I'll have to dig out my US spec one, its mint like yours Dan!