How is Fibre-Lyte as a seller?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

3trxvintage
Approved Member

How is Fibre-Lyte as a seller?

Post by 3trxvintage »

I cannot find any positive feedback about the company so I am curious how are they to do business with? I was also curious what types of payment do they accept?

Thank you

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: How is fibre-lyte as a seller?

Post by flipwils11 »

They were great to deal with for me, shipping was within expectations for overseas. They make everything to order so they don't have it sitting around so you have to be a little patient between when you order and when they ship it.

They take credit card or paypal.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

They were very helpful when I ordered a few bits a while back. Excellent communication as I had a 13 e-mail exchange with them. If you're in the US, they will remove the VAT, so it will save you a few bucks.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

RichieRich wrote:They were very helpful when I ordered a few bits a while back. Excellent communication as I had a 13 e-mail exchange with them. If you're in the US, they will remove the VAT, so it will save you a few bucks.
Thanks, what is the VAT?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

VAT is a tax on the value added to a product. It's complicated, but removing the VAT saves you some bucks. It's kinda like ordering something on Amazon and not paying sales tax, unless you live in a state that Amazon has a warehouse, headquarters or whatever.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

RichieRich wrote: It's kinda like ordering something on Amazon and not paying sales tax, unless you live in a state that Amazon has a warehouse, headquarters or whatever.
this is exactly VAT :D
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Great to do business with and their products are top notch. I would, and probably will buy from them again.

peetbee
Approved Member

Post by peetbee »

3trxvintage wrote: Thanks, what is the VAT?
20% sales tax effectively, we get charged it on almost everything these days :(

I've ordered a few things from fibrelyte and they've always been good

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Stands for Value Added Tax...... I'm yet to find the 'value' in it though? :|

Fibrelyte have been great in the past - i've brought a few parts as listed on their site, but also had parts specially made, most notably the chassis plate for my 93 WCS Yokomo, I saved some money by making my own mould & preparing my own cutting program, but they helped me out along the way.... my only 'gripe' I suppose was that they then offered this chassis part on their website for general sale - yet i'd done all the donkey work (including paying for a 1st prototype chassis made prior to refining the finish for the 2nd final chassis). I guess it could have been a communication missunderstanding as I did at one point state that I didn't mind if certain 'other' enthusiasts had a WCS chassis made by them from my mould + drawing - i.e guys on here that knew that the chassis could be available through knowing what I had done :(

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

DerbyDan wrote:Stands for Value Added Tax...... I'm yet to find the 'value' in it though? :|

Fibrelyte have been great in the past - i've brought a few parts as listed on their site, but also had parts specially made, most notably the chassis plate for my 93 WCS Yokomo, I saved some money by making my own mould & preparing my own cutting program, but they helped me out along the way.... my only 'gripe' I suppose was that they then offered this chassis part on their website for general sale - yet i'd done all the donkey work (including paying for a 1st prototype chassis made prior to refining the finish for the 2nd final chassis). I guess it could have been a communication missunderstanding as I did at one point state that I didn't mind if certain 'other' enthusiasts had a WCS chassis made by them from my mould + drawing - i.e guys on here that knew that the chassis could be available through knowing what I had done :(
I have to agree Dan, you busted your ass getting that done and perfecting it. As far as I'm concerned that was your work and brains that went into that.....and furthermore the chassis would not even have been available to anyone if not for you. AND you paid gobs of money to execute it. That was total bullshit, and I won't purchase anything from them as a result-

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

DerbyDan wrote:Stands for Value Added Tax...... I'm yet to find the 'value' in it though? :|

I find this really interesting. I can see your point definitely, but they are a business and I very much doubt they made any money from the chassis or ever will compared to the time they did put in. Yes, as most of the work was yours and maybe there should have been some compensation for that, but ultimately I think what they do for the RC community is very good, and a lot of that has been a direct result from the relationship with RC10Talk.

If I asked them to replicate a chassis, I would expect them to be sell it, although I would not be doing anything more than supplying CAD diagrams. Moulds and other bits should be their doing, surely?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I'll let Dan clarify- but he made and or paid for the mould as I recall-

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

Fibrelyte are great to deal with, great comms and always polite. Parts can take a while to be delivered as they make them to order, as per Flip.

As for Dan's comments, thanks again! Without your hard work I could not have built my WCS, but I do understand your position!!!
:shock:

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Hmm. Didn't know anything about that situation Dan. That is really a raw deal. If you provided the capitol for that mold development, you should HOLD the mold.... and before they make inventory with it. At least they could have done some kind of royalty for you..

Anyway, The fiberlyte stuff looks nice, but the price has always made me hesitant. If they take out the VAT maybe there's more value to us out of the Eurozone. Even UK shipping is high priced to me though. :(

I hope to see the resurrection of Composite Craft develop into something. I'm wondering if the 'new' CC would be willing to do something similar to what Fiberlyte has done, by building an inventory of CAD files based on customers submitted items. Then they could do one-off productions on demand. :?:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Alex B wrote:Fibrelyte are great to deal with, great comms and always polite. Parts can take a while to be delivered as they make them to order, as per Flip.

As for Dan's comments, thanks again! Without your hard work I could not have built my WCS, but I do understand your position!!!
No worries - to be honest knowing that its only going to be real enthusiasts (like yourself) that will know about the 93 WCS... & go to the trouble to source all the parts to build one makes it worthwhile :wink: .... & is the reason why I haven't complained to Fibrelyte.

When I first enquired about re-producing the WCS chassis, fibrelyte gave me a quote for producing the mould themselves - the mould itself was going to cost (from memory) around £200 - £300 + the extra for actually producing the chassis from the mould..... which is why I set about making my own. My mould was a simple wedge onto which the carbon could be laid to form the kick-up in the chassis, I paid about £80 for the first chassis to be made from my mould, but was unhappy with the finish to the U/Side of the chassis, which was rough & undulating due to the filled bags they they used to hold the carbon down on the mould whilst it cures. On explaining this to Fibrelyte they suggested they make another carbon 'blank' from the mould which would effectively make a top part to achieve the same finish on both sides of the chassis, they made this bit for no extra cost.... but I paid for a 2nd chassis to be made, which turned out great!!

Now all along I must explain that Fibrelyte were incredibly helpfull & polite - & swift at turning the parts round.... they did offer to send the mould back to me at the cost of the postage (quite high for the heavy mould) which is where I think the miss-communication came in. Whilst I was in the process of having my chassis made I had a number of enquires from some guys on here about getting chassis' made for themselves aswell - I suggested they contacted Fibrelyte direct & in turn I passed on the names of these people to Fibrelyte explaining that I didn't mind my mould (which I said they could keep) & CAD program being used to produce chassis for them - but I wasn't expecting to see it offered for general sale on their website :|

I was particularly dissapointed to see the modified profile of Masami's WCS chassis appear on the site, that i'd drawn up especially for Reggie's replica car - I kind of wanted that to be a one-off for his excellent build.