Anniversary Trip

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stonecalbon

Anniversary Trip

Post by stonecalbon »

In this summer I'm gonna make a trip to celebrate my 26 anniversary with my wife. All my life me and my wife dream of making this trip so we are calling it ''The Anniversary Trip''.

This are the places that Im going: (the plan is to go from Orlando to New York and return to Orlando again)
1. Orlando to visit Disney and Daytona to see the Nascar race
2. Take the 95 road until Charlotte in North Carolina
3. Stop in Richmond, Virginia
3. Manhattan area, New York
4. Going back to Orlando I'll just stop in Wachington, DC

Now that you know the route that Im taking I will appreciate if you could recommendate some places to eat, visit, shop, stay, see, some tracks, hobby shop or other awesome places to visit. This is the fist time that Im going to New York so I will like to make this trip unforgettable.

Thanks,

Bryan Olivo

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Anniversary Trip

Post by kaiser »

well there's nothing to do rc related in nyc, thats for sure. but there's plenty to do.
i don't even know where to start.
if you are only going to be in nyc for a couple of nights i highly recomend staying at the waldorf astoria, the most historic hotel in nyc. it's really cool. a few years back i took the wife to see a show and suprised her when we didn't go back to the train station, instead the taxi pulled up in front of the waldorf. i had gotten a "jr suite", it was huge, 4 rooms, and about 250 per nite. i told them it was our anniversary (it wasn't really) and they had champange and chocolate cover fruits waiting in our room for us, free of charge.
food, museums, tours, ferry tours, so much to do...did i mention the food?

hell, i enjoy a day just sitting in a park (washington square, hippies :wink: )taking it all in. i grew up down there but rarely get time to visit anymore, the people watching alone is a riot and worth the trip.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Contact rc10johnny hes in richmond area,he can recommend and show you the rc racetrack there ND PLACES TO EAT.

95 is great to travel just avoid area rush hours its hell.DON

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

also avoid anything that has alot of billboards, south of the border was the worst stop i ever made. got ripped off so bad. lol

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

You can forget about finding the mega "NYC style" hobby store in Times Square or anywhere in NYC since we are the most RC unfriendly place on earth. But you might find hobby stores outside NYC and surrounding NJ areas.
BTW, happy anniversary.
(sorry to my NY people, but it's the truth)

jb

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

North and south carolina look for where the semi trucks are parked for good eating. I am not sure if it is still there but in charlotte there is a place called athens its a 24 hr greek place good food nice for breakfast but the crowd starts getting weirder after dark. Also if you hit I77 to come up and you want to check it out just south of rockhill s.c. you could check out the hobby stop.
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I second the Waldorf Astoria stay in NYC idea. When I got married in February, we stayed there for 3 nights, it was incredible. It's not cheap, but no hotels in NYC are. Definitely worth springing for the couple extra bucks to experience it. And if you don't stay, try to make a trip over for a walk thru the lobby, it's gorgeous.

Going up in the Empire State Building is pretty cool. Spring for the extra $15 a ticket and go up to the 102nd floor. It's as high as you can go in NYC and there are a lot less people up there than there are on the 86th (I think it's the 86th) floor. The Metropolitan Museum is incredible. Everything from Van Gogh to a hall of knights to Egyptian and Roman artifacts, it's incredible. It's also right next to Central Park which is nice to take a walk thru. On the other side of the park is the American Museum of Natural History. Also very cool, I love the dinosaur collection in there.

I always tell people to head down to Katz's deli for a pastrami sandwich. My wife and I split one and it fills us up, it's huge. That place is a NYC institution and there is nowhere else like it. It's also one of the very few places in NYC that serves Moretti, which I really like too.

There's millions of things to do. I've been here 13 years and still haven't done them all. Those Grey Line double deck tour busses are a nice way to see the city without getting exhausted. The downtown loop has the most cool stuff on it, but if you've never been here you might like the Brooklyn and uptown loops too. The guides are a bit hit and miss on them though, if you get a good one, stay on the bus for the whole ride, if you get one who isn't telling you much useful in formation about NYC, get off and wait for the next bus and try your luck.

Don't eat at ANY chain food places. We've got the best food in the world, from all over the world, try it!

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I second the Waldorf Astoria stay in NYC idea. When I got married in February, we stayed there for 3 nights, it was incredible. It's not cheap, but no hotels in NYC are. Definitely worth springing for the couple extra bucks to experience it. And if you don't stay, try to make a trip over for a walk thru the lobby, it's gorgeous.

Going up in the Empire State Building is pretty cool. Spring for the extra $15 a ticket and go up to the 102nd floor. It's as high as you can go in NYC and there are a lot less people up there than there are on the 86th (I think it's the 86th) floor. The Metropolitan Museum is incredible. Everything from Van Gogh to a hall of knights to Egyptian and Roman artifacts, it's incredible. It's also right next to Central Park which is nice to take a walk thru. On the other side of the park is the American Museum of Natural History. Also very cool, I love the dinosaur collection in there.

I always tell people to head down to Katz's deli for a pastrami sandwich. My wife and I split one and it fills us up, it's huge. That place is a NYC institution and there is nowhere else like it. It's also one of the very few places in NYC that serves Moretti, which I really like too.

There's millions of things to do. I've been here 13 years and still haven't done them all. Those Grey Line double deck tour busses are a nice way to see the city without getting exhausted. The downtown loop has the most cool stuff on it, but if you've never been here you might like the Brooklyn and uptown loops too. The guides are a bit hit and miss on them though, if you get a good one, stay on the bus for the whole ride, if you get one who isn't telling you much useful in formation about NYC, get off and wait for the next bus and try your luck.

Don't eat at ANY chain food places. We've got the best food in the world, from all over the world, try it!
If you hit Katz deli, you may as well head over to e7th street and have a beer at McSorleys.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yep, just try to get there as early as possible.

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

Now I'm hungry. I'm heading to Katz for lunch today!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

don't forget the kinish! nothing like a katz pastrami with a kinish and a root beer.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

While there is a discussion going on, has anyone here been to a live taping of SNL or the Late Show? Something I've always wanted to do, but didn't know how easily it could be done.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I saw a live taping of Conan when he was on NBC. Will Ferrell was the guest and it was a lot of fun. The warm up guy was hilarious, it was that guy who used to be in a lot of Conan's sketches, like Preparation H Raymond. I think getting tickets to Late Night is pretty easy. I'm sure if you go on their website they will have instructions on how to get them. SNL on the other hand, that's a nearly impossible ticket to get. At least to the general public. I know you can stand in line the day of the show in hopes that something opens up, but I don't know how well that works. From what I understand it's one of the hottest tickets in NYC, mostly VIPs, friends of the cast, industry people and whatever.