RC10 Sand Scorcher

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

RC10 Sand Scorcher

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I finally completed my RC10 Sand Scorcher project. I started by taking a NIB black chassis and cutting 1 inch off the front. The front body mount is a chopped CRP RC10 truck body mount with a chopped body mount mounted to a Tamiya F201 body mount. It's got Losi aluminum bell cranks, Lunsford titanium turnbuckles, RPM front arms, Andy's rear arms and Technacraft wheels. The rear tires are Grasshopper tires, the fronts are vintage Proline. I used an oval lowering kit for the rear, because I didn't really want a big shock tower showing through the rear windows of the body. The tranny is an original Stealth, but it's got an aluminum case, the only one I've ever seen. It's dimensions are slightly different than the stock plastic case, in that the holes on the top are slightly more forward. So, I had to cut a custom tranny brace out of carbon fiber. Since there was no shock tower in the way, I extended the tranny brace forward to include a reciever mount. With an inch removed from the front of the chassis, I couldn't mount a servo up there. I ended up getting a micro servo, but even it would not fit in the smaller space. So, I mounted mid-way back on the wall of the chassis and took an old Tamiya link (I think from a Clodbuster) and bent it slightly to clear the battery cup. Believe it or not, this is a very effective steering set up, this car steers tighter than anything I've ever driven, including four wheel steering vehicles. The side body mounts are custom cut Kydex with Tamiya F201 body mounts scewed in to the side of the chassis.

I think that's pretty much it. Oh, the body is from a Blitzer Beetle kit. I'm very happy with the car and plan to run it. 8)
Attachments
RC10 Scorcher 5.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 5.jpg (263.22 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
RC10 Scorcher 5.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 5.jpg (263.22 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
RC10 Scorcher 4.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 4.jpg (188.39 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
RC10 Scorcher 4.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 4.jpg (188.39 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
RC10 Scorcher 3.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 3.jpg (208.51 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
RC10 Scorcher 3.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 3.jpg (208.51 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
RC10 Scorcher 2.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 2.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
RC10 Scorcher 2.jpg
RC10 Scorcher 2.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
RC10 Scorcher.jpg
RC10 Scorcher.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
RC10 Scorcher.jpg
RC10 Scorcher.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

So that's where all those cool bits you collected ended up! This looks amazing and I am really pleased to hear youre going to run it!

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

Just incredible.. I'm speechless! 8)

scollins
Approved Member

sweet work

Post by scollins »

NICE WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Were you inspired by my Scorcher RC10???

scollins
When in doubt, throttle out ...... scollins

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Damn, that looks hot. you know i am a sucker for those wheels

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

That looks great! I'm really liking these conversions, and really every one so far looks sweet.

8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: sweet work

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks for the compliments guys. 8)
scollins wrote:NICE WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Were you inspired by my Scorcher RC10???

scollins
Yes sir! Sorry, I totally forgot to credit you in the initial post. I had wanted to make a RC10 Baja Bug for a long time, your car was the first RC10 bug conversion I saw that made me realize it was possible to make a nice looking conversion without having a wheelbase that was too long. 8)

Also, I know I fogot to credit someone for the silver edged aluminum. I can't remember who did that, but I had to copy it too.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

awesome build :!: maybe my favorite conversion, the paint looks sweet, and I will not comment the wheels 8) love it

sk7
Approved Member

Post by sk7 »

....clean build , nice job .

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

Now this is really COOL - got to love anything with a baja bug body on it!!!

But you know to be rear suspension correct it should have trailing arms.....say like that company ...HUM :roll:
...now what was their name
... you know they made those aluminum pieces
....let me remember now....D&C... no
... B&B....no
oh yah! L&A manufacturing
that's it Lane and Allec MFG.
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

MONSTER
Approved Member

Rears

Post by MONSTER »

Should those rear tires be switched? Looks like they are made to "dig in" in the opposite direction, or is it "all in my head"?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Daryl Lane wrote:Now this is really COOL - got to love anything with a baja bug body on it!!!

But you know to be rear suspension correct it should have trailing arms.....say like that company ...HUM :roll:
...now what was their name
... you know they made those aluminum pieces
....let me remember now....D&C... no
... B&B....no
oh yah! L&A manufacturing
that's it Lane and Allec MFG.
LOL :lol: Hey, as luck would have it, there's one on ebay right now. Actually, two, but we're ignoring that one.

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Sand Scorcher

Post by Snake Plissken »

Came out really nice! I really love the body color and your choice for wheels & tires. I think that 1.5'' rears and 1.9'' fronts are the best for scale look. The only thing missing is a driver :wink:
MelvinsArmy wrote: With an inch removed from the front of the chassis, I couldn't mount a servo up there. I ended up getting a micro servo, but even it would not fit in the smaller space. So, I mounted mid-way back on the wall of the chassis and took an old Tamiya link (I think from a Clodbuster) and bent it slightly to clear the battery cup. Believe it or not, this is a very effective steering set up, this car steers tighter than anything I've ever driven, including four wheel steering vehicles.
The sharp steering is the result of the shorter wheelbase, I don't think the servo placement has anything to do with it.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

8) Thanks guys.

Daryl, I was seriously thinking about a trailing arm conversion. I had been working on this one on and off for about a year, and I finally just sat down one night and finished it. Do you sell the aluminum trailing arms without the full chassis kit?

MONSTER, yeah I was confused at first too. But, the steeper angle is actually facing forward, it's just that the side ridges point backwards and makes it look a little strange. They will get the best dig in this direction.

Snake, yeah I knew the shorter wheelbase would make it steer on a dime. But, I figured a steering rod that long and bent would create some noticable slop. But, it's tight as a drum. I actually have a driver that I'm planning to put in the car, I was just so excited to finally have it done that I posted it up before the driver was done. Once he's done, that will give me an excuse to take some outdoor shots. And of course action shots. :twisted:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

some rear window netting would be way cool too 8)