Why is the lazer series so few of around????

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Why is the lazer series so few of around????

Post by Mad Racer »

I have been a Kyosho Fan since the MID came out.

I have 2 Mids and now a Lazer ZX. Which has been a lot more harder to get parts for.

I have noticed that there are plenty of MIDS around but very few Lazer's .

Maybe because the 2wd boom started to hit around 1990???? That's all i can think of.

Has anyone else noticed this??????
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Why is the lazer series so few of around????

Post by Coelacanth »

Interesting you should ask that...I was searching for Kyosho Lazer parts on Tower Hobbies, and was shocked...there's nothing there! A search for "kyosho lazer" has 0 results! Not a *single* part...looks like they wiped the slate clean of Lazer stuff. :shock:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Tower didn't wipe their site clean of Lazer stuff, they dropped Kyosho when Kyosho announced they were going to setup an American distributor independant of Tower. Tower had a huge fire sale on Kyosho stuff and probably tossed what didn't sell in the dumpster.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

adam lancia wrote:Tower didn't wipe their site clean of Lazer stuff, they dropped Kyosho when Kyosho announced they were going to setup an American distributor independant of Tower. Tower had a huge fire sale on Kyosho stuff and probably tossed what didn't sell in the dumpster.
or ended up in some other HS nearby :lol:

This is all very interesting!

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

adam lancia wrote:Tower didn't wipe their site clean of Lazer stuff, they dropped Kyosho when Kyosho announced they were going to setup an American distributor independant of Tower. Tower had a huge fire sale on Kyosho stuff and probably tossed what didn't sell in the dumpster.
Ahh you're right; I did a search for Kyosho there and had lots of results. But I checked again now and the parts are all 3rd-party, non-Kyosho manufacturers.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Twelve years back i new this would be the case hence why ive had every conceivable flat part copied by fibre lyte in the uk. All varieties of chassis, top decks, shock mounts, servo plates, L braces, steering plates and motor plates are all available. Belts are being made as well and are on ebay. Shells also from kamtec in the uk and he does the parma tomcat which is the best zxr shell ever and the zxs shell which is narrower and what i use. The zx5 ujs fit but do get the two correct ones out of the 8 sizes out there. Ive also a friend who makes molds but has had to take time out at the mo. Ive also redesigned the spur gear so you can use the B4 slipper pad or the option of the SC10 extra torque pad is preferred as this fits like a dream. The spur also can be used with the ZX with either the balls or using the slipper ball plates you can add the slipper pads and works well and also it fits the ZXR Mk1 and Mk2 with the hyper clutch. Available at RW racing very shortly. There is plenty out there as i wanted to continue running this car as so far nothing is as good.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Here is the spur gear I designed. SC10 extra torque slipper pad is the best option for using on a ZXR mk1 slipper but this will screw straight onto the hyper clutch on the Mk2 and if you take the balls out and add the pads this will be a direct fit onto the ZX slipper system wth the two metal plates on either side. This is what I am using now and gives me the option of the third ball diff if I feel the need for it.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

[quote="Kyosho Fan2"] continue running this car as so far nothing is as good.[/quote]

aren't you pushing it a bit??? ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I think there are plenty of Lazer ZX and ZXR cars and parts around. Sure, you may not find them ALL the time on eBay or the for sale threads on all the big sites/forums but if you employ a little bit of patience stuff comes up. Heck 3 of those Hyper Clutches popped up out of no where and thats when we both snagged one each. Previous to that I was under the impression I'd be lucky even to peice one together from spares.

I think all vintage cars can be hard to find but its the wait which makes it soo interesting at times.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

In the US, 4wd stock was dropped by ROAR. Most people start in stock class and "graduate" to modified. Because of this, even the mod class suffered and people began to focus more 2wd.

In addition, the results of the 89 worlds shifted focus to the yokomo yz10. There was a small artice about the Legend prototype, but when the Lazer was finally released, it came with planatary gear differentials. When our shop first got them in (and we were one of first), I liked the longer suspension arms, but that was about it. An optima mid SE came with more upgrades and was less money.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Lonestar wrote:
Kyosho Fan2 wrote: continue running this car as so far nothing is as good.[/quote]

aren't you pushing it a bit??? ;)

Paul
Nope, unless your on about my age. The zx5 is crap, drivetrain on shaft drives goes on a regular basis. The trf511 is good but lacks steering and wishbones are brittle, horrible spur gear placement and slop galore. The zxr has almost zero slop, wishbones that are reinforced with kevlar so even at well over 30mph they wont break when you hit a steel chair leg. Drive train is more free as well, easy to replace spur and pinions and motor. Ease of maintanence and changing belts are a doddle compared to the trf511, five minutes is all you need for the rear belt on the zxr. Its also got more top end than the trf511 on the same gear ratio. Its also fun to drive.

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Just remind me what year did the ZXR win the world championship :?:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Hmm, me thinks never.

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Really :P that must have been down to the drives but you would have thought after 20 years of being the best car available it would have won at least one world title. I guess the lack of world championship success doesn't mean it's not the best just like Jimmy White :wink:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028