JRX2 Build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

chriswolfson
Approved Member

JRX2 Build

Post by chriswolfson »

Hi all,

I'm new to the board - I think this is only my 2nd post. I've been enjoying looking at all the vintage cars and builds. I've been racing since 1987 and have probably wheeled every one of the cars on these boards at one time or another. It's a great walk down memory lane.

I'm still a pretty competitive person and race weekly. Unfortunately, I didn't save any of my "old" cars or equipment at any point. My current stable of cars is a TLR 22, Team Losi XXXT CR, Team Losi XXX4 G+, Losi XXX SCT, and a TLR 8ight 2.0. Despite having a great lineup of cars, I've always wanted to own a vintage car. I'm probably the type that wants mine to be a runner, unless of course I can find a mint chassis where it could become a shelf queen.

I just found out that we took the plunge tonight when my dad e-mailed me that he purchased a vintage JRX2 from e-bay. I could really use some advice from people who have restored these cars on where to find parts and how to restore old parts to a better condition. Some of the questions on my mind before I even receive the car is how to re-build the diff - can you still get that sticky, purple diff grease that the JRX2 used? Can I find the older style cartridges for the shocks or am I better putting newer, threaded shocks on the car? I'm ok with using modern parts to upgrade the car in spots as I really would like to make it a runner. Honestly, I'd like to set it up to run brushless and Lipo in the stock class with modern sized wheels and tires.

Any tips and advice anyone could give me would be highly appreciated. I'm looking forward to the project and am sure I'll have a lot of questions to ask in this thread.

Here's a few pics of my current stuff to give you the idea of the level of neatness and cleanliness I want to get out of this vintage ride.

TLR / Horizon Hobby / Spektrum / Tekin / MIP / JConcepts / VooDoo

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Re: JRX2 Build

Post by losiXXXman »

I'd say that that old purple stuff isn't worth using. To me it wasn't worth it back then either :lol: Anyway, just rebuild the diff the way you would now with silicone lube on the main balls adn rings, and black or white grease on the thrust bearing. My .02... Welcome to the board, and to vintage RC!

kenooze
Approved Member

Post by kenooze »

Hi

Welcome on board.

No worries, it's not so difficult to find curently the JRx2 parts, may be excepted the original and sucking shock collars.

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

What about shock cartridges? Can the current shock cartridge fit on the car? Is there a correct size of the current shocks to put on the car? I'm guessing somebody has tried both ideas. Let me know how/if anybody did it?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The pre 22 cartridges work fine-

What part of Pittsburgh are you in?

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

Charlie don't surf wrote:The pre 22 cartridges work fine-

What part of Pittsburgh are you in?
South Hills, actually.... Not too far from Greentree.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Cool, I ran the business side of Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry in 03' during the PA helmet law repeal and rode to city hall with everyone else in my underwear and my helmet to protest with a couple hundred others. And I lived right across from the Seminary in North Hills- I miss Pittsburgh, last time I flew into there for a layover I was depressed for leaving again.

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

Cool... I'm familiar with where that bike dealership was! Near the Cranberry Hobby Depot! :D

Another question - what's the best way to put current size wheels/tires on a JRX2 or JRX Pro runner?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

I think that you might be thinking of Gatto Cycles, but I did some searching of my old place to not see a current website......................which gives me a bad feeling :| . This was right off 279

There is a thread about running 2.2 setup on a JRX series here, I'll see if I can find it

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

Charlie don't surf wrote:There is a thread about running 2.2 setup on a JRX series here, I'll see if I can find it
I did look - I just couldn't find the thread. I saw that Duratrax wheels are an option, but not ideal? The JRX2 showed up today and I am looking at a JRX Pro at the moment. Hoping to put together a 5 link shelf car and a JRX Pro as a runner. I'm going to try and run it in the 2wd Stock class at our track. :D

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I'm basically building a Pro-SE and an original JRX2 from parts right now as well. I've got enough parts lying around to build several cars and probably have every possible suspension combination ever made so I have options. I too want to race it at the track. Something is telling me I can teach some new dogs some old tricks!
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

Got over to my dad's tonight to look at the car. All in all, a pretty great car. The transmission is in great shape - smooth diff, new bearings - fantastic.

Chassis is rough along with the turnbuckles and screws.

Battery holder is junk.

I've looked - anyone know of any decent chassis - no holes drilled - can still be run, though. How about a battery holder?

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

chriswolfson wrote: I've looked - anyone know of any decent chassis - no holes drilled - can still be run, though. How about a battery holder?
Once you obtain BST access post a wanted thread, I would be most surprised if the members can't turn up a runner chassis and something to hold your batteries in for you :wink:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

Well, I was able to pick up another car on ebay...

I grabbed a JRX Pro in really good shape. Plan for that car is to make it a runner with 2.2" wheels, threaded shocks, brushless, and LIPO. Hopefully going to put a 13.5 in it and run it next winter in our 2wd stock class at our home track. Looking forward to getting this car.