This great Hobby, I get to enjoy

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

drbelleville
Approved Member

This great Hobby, I get to enjoy

Post by drbelleville »

As most of you, I have been in this Hobby for a long - long time now. I can not say that I see it getting old at all. When I was a kid, you could say it kept me away from any other sort of bad influences that could have happened upon me. Many family members or friends may not "get it" as they just see them as toys, but how is it that when they see some-one assemble a Wooden ship / boat it is a different story? I was fortunate enough to get introduced into the hobby through my uncle and hope to pass it on to my kids some day. The Hobby is a means to: relax, decompress, get focussed, tinker , etc. We have read enough R/C magazines that we can recall which cars we really liked, and if we ever had enough money and the means to - replicate if possible. Now we all have a bit more means and can rely on our fellow members to lend a hand or come through with a good bit of advice. Advice that is helpful when it comes to completing a chassis or ID-ing parts etc. Being a die-hard on-road guy (1:10 235mm & 1:8 IC Pan), I still had my favorite Off-Road Racers - Mike Dunn and Rick Vehlow. While a new class peaked my interest - Dirt Oval with the Landgraffs, Snuffy Smith, John Gudvangen, and so on. All in all this hobby has been good to me, even when times get a bit "Hobby-unfriendly" i.e. no Hobby-cash, we all still have something to dig out and wrench on.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone on here that has in some way or another lent a hand or word of advice.

May the next 34+ Hobby years be just as great ,

Maurice

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: This great Hobby, I get to enjoy

Post by kaiser »

well said.

i can't wait to share this hobby with my son, he's only 15 months old right now so i have a pretty long wait. it will be worth it.

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

I shared the hobby with my 4 year old. Handed him the keys to my XXX. Wide open throttle with a bunch of doughnuts for 45 seconds. The foundation to the house was next. Priceless. Well worth the repairs. Now all I hear is "daddy-you have a crazy car!" Couldn't be the driver...hmmm?

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Nicely put, Maurice! This hobby has provided me with untold hours of enjoyment and helped me make friends all over the planet of people I never would have talked to. It keeps me busy all year around and can be done as cheaply or extravagantly as my wallet can afford. My wife likes it because it keeps me home and my family and friends think I'm going through a second childhood, which is fine. :mrgreen:
Gary