Ruf-Trailing Arms - Aluminum

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Ruf-Trailing Arms - Aluminum

Post by Ruffy »

I would like to gauge by a response if you are interested in Houge Trailing arms and mounts, but machined in aluminum so there is no breaking. I am trying to work out some details with my machinist, and our very own JHarris here will be the test driver with the 1st unit on his Houge Chassis. I have also thought of designing and having made a different base, for those that have standard graphite chassis', to use the Houge Trailing Arms on a standard chassis as well, by using a drill template from the rear bulkhead holes in the chassis.

Once you buy a set of these you would probably never have to buy another set as they will be strong. I am working on the engineering drawings now and the machinist has already shown interest in following this project with me.

I will provide pricing as soon as he gives it to me, after the drawings are done. But let me know if you are truly interested in something like this to see if it is worth the setup costs involved.

JHarris
Approved Member

Re: Houge Arms - Aluminum

Post by JHarris »

Ruffy,

You and I had this conversation already but all I can say is HELL YES!! I honestly don't care what it cost, I want aluminum arms. Mine broke when I was driving it in Port Saint Lucie but it was running great just prior to the crash. That will give me another vintage runner that I could allow others to race. Once we can establish a class and spread the fever, it will catch on.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I am in... :D

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Funny enough, broken Houge trailing arms are actually what got me looking back into the RC scene....I had a set on my rc10, which broke, I repaired once, but they broke again after a hamfisted buddy crashed it, so I converted back to A-arms. fast forward a bunch of years, by some freak occurrence, I happened to search on a set on ebay, which i picked up for a very reasonable cost.

I would be interested in a set of arms, provided they are priced reasonably. I have a set of mounts, so with another set of arms, I could convert another car :mrgreen:

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

me too please :D

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

A little off topic, but somewhat related. With any luck Ruffy's machinist will also be making me some carbon parts for the Pro Radiant (frame rails, saddle pack chassis, shock towers and battery tray). As Ruffy explained to me a few days ago, it's easiest to stack the carbon and cut several at once, saving time and money. If that happens I will pass the joy on to the other Pro Radiant owners that are interested.

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Im in for a set if you have any produced.

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Is there any chance you would make a nice chassis available to go with those trailing arms?
RC10WORLD

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I would like to, but unless I can find someone to make a layup panel with the 30 degree nose in a flat quad-isotropic graphite stack that is 1/8" thick, then find a mfg house with a cnc thermwood mill table or equivalent to cut the graphite shape, then I fear I may not be able to.
I used to work for Composite Craft and this was the specific layup we made for the offroad chassis for the RC10.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ruffy wrote:I would like to, but unless I can find someone to make a layup panel with the 30 degree nose in a flat quad-isotropic graphite stack that is 1/8" thick, then find a mfg house with a cnc thermwood mill table or equivalent to cut the graphite shape, then I fear I may not be able to.
I used to work for Composite Craft and this was the specific layup we made for the offroad chassis for the RC10.
YGPM

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

I would be glad to be in but I have no graphite nor Houge chassis available home... .
RC10WORLD

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I am also working on possibly getting some chassis made too, so you never know. At least I know you are interested if you can also get a chassis.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
Ruffy wrote:I would like to, but unless I can find someone to make a layup panel with the 30 degree nose in a flat quad-isotropic graphite stack that is 1/8" thick, then find a mfg house with a cnc thermwood mill table or equivalent to cut the graphite shape, then I fear I may not be able to.
YGPM
I always thought reproduction or replacement nose plates (can and truck) would make more sense than new tooling for a graphite chassis with the kick-up molded in.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

A bit off topic? But can someone explain the advantage of running a trailing arm set up - certainly I cannot remember ever seeing anyone running such a set up back in the day :?

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Ruffy wrote:I am also working on possibly getting some chassis made too, so you never know. At least I know you are interested if you can also get a chassis.
Of course I am interested!? I love those trailing arms and making them available in aluminum is just great. About the chassis, if there is no way you can have that done, no big deal, I will cut one like SteveK suggest it. Certainly the occasion for me to draw a double deck chassis. A basic printed template for the mounting arms would be cool to have though.

Now, the BIG question... when? :mrgreen:
RC10WORLD