Project Red Hotshot (11th Mar,2010 updated)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Project Red Hotshot (11th Mar,2010 updated)

Post by minimini »

In the old days..........as a school children like me........just started playing R/C cars...........only able to afford something like Tamiya Grasshopper/ Marui Golden Eagle Jeep .........all aftermarket products were impossible to reach ........:( .........Hot-trick was one of them..........& they used to produce many good upgrade parts/ kits for different cars............ :)

Really great to hear that there is a Taiwan company (RC-LOHAS) recently made a repro hot-trick kit for hotshot .........found no reason to resist buying it........... :)

Having searched in the web for more info about this wonderful kit...........got some idea to build one up now.......... 8)

picture courtesy of http://www93.sakura.ne.jp/~time-tunnel/ & http://www.ebay.com

more info can be sought from
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14569
http://www.rc-lohas.com/index.html
Attachments
hot trick 22.jpg
hot trick 22.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
hot trick 22.jpg
hot trick 22.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
hot trick hotshot manual.jpg
hot trick hotshot manual.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
hot trick hotshot manual.jpg
hot trick hotshot manual.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Re: Project Red Hotshot (2nd Mar,2010 updated)

Post by minimini »

With great help of tiger1@rc-evo for purchasing the conversion kit from rc lohas...........plus some option parts from yahoo.jp & LHS in HK............we are going to have a joint project of this car..........:)

after receiving the conversion kit........I can only say ..........GORGEOUS !!.......FANTASTIC !!......:D

apart from the hotshot kit..........here are the stuffs in my hand now........ :)
- pink label Trinity motor
- Yokomo wheel adaptors
- old-style red yokomo rims with foam tyres
- Phoenix optional centre shaft with slipper
- aluminium steering bell-cranks
- aluminium steering knuckles
- Top Force wing mount set
- aluminium servo mount

Project Red Hotshot is ready to start..........stay tuned......... 8)
Attachments
123 005.jpg
123 006.jpg

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

minimini was very nice to purchase a nicely priced brand new hotshot, after market mid-shaft with slipper with oneway, ball bearings, GPM Ta01 front hubs and aluminium rear hubs. He also de-anodized the hubs for me so the front and rear hubs match.

I just get the conversion kit for us. The kit quality was fantastic.

Over some email and phone conversatons (we are living only about 3000km apart) we figured out that we can do something to modify the rear hubs with modern day aluminium parts. Stay tuned. :)

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Those RC Lohas kits do look top quality! Gotta love the wheels sets that they are producing now too ( 8) 8) ): http://stores.ebay.com/RC-LOHAS

minimini
Approved Member

Post by minimini »

when you compare this lohas kit with the original hot trick kit............you will notice that the servo mounting position is different............the original hot trick kit got the servo at right side (as you can see in the first photo)..........while the lohas kit is at the left........:)

if you are going to mount the esc on the lower chassis plate.........then the new design will be more convenient for motor wiring........on the other hand.........if the esc is hanging on the rear shock tower..........it makes no difference.......:)

emerson_shih
Approved Member

Post by emerson_shih »

minimini wrote:when you compare this lohas kit with the original hot trick kit............you will notice that the servo mounting position is different............the original hot trick kit got the servo at right side (as you can see in the first photo)..........while the lohas kit is at the left........:)

if you are going to mount the esc on the lower chassis plate.........then the new design will be more convenient for motor wiring........on the other hand.........if the esc is hanging on the rear shock tower..........it makes no difference.......:)
I'm glad you notice the steering servo position. We change it because we believe it gives help to balance the central gravity. It should be better than put them at the same side. 8) Please let me know if you have any issue when assemble it. Thanks for your support. Enjoy!

Best Regards

Emerson
Too early to know 'bormac', too late to know 'mrlexan', just in time to know 'murphy3428'.
http://www.rc-lohas.com

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Personally, I think ESC shall always be on the chassis plate but not on tower. It is simply lower CG. And in this case, better wiring and cleaner looking as well :)

minimini
Approved Member

Post by minimini »

emerson_shih wrote:
minimini wrote:when you compare this lohas kit with the original hot trick kit............you will notice that the servo mounting position is different............the original hot trick kit got the servo at right side (as you can see in the first photo)..........while the lohas kit is at the left........:)

I'm glad you notice the steering servo position. We change it because we believe it gives help for weigth balance. It should be better than put them at the same side. 8) Please let me know if you have any issue when assemble it. Thanks for your support. Enjoy!

Best Regards

Emerson
many thanks for your reply in this thread........:)

by making this thread more fruitful.........really hoping that more people will love this conversion kit.......... 8)

minimini
Approved Member

Re: Project Red Hotshot (6th Mar,2010 updated)

Post by minimini »

overheating of motor was a common problem in the Hotshot series...........many racers in the old days did experience melting of the rear gear box because of the great heat generated by the motor..........horrible.........:(

in view of this.........I prepared two pieces of motor insulator plates........plus a metal heat sink (from a kyosho car) in between.........make it like a piece of Orio......... :mrgreen: ...........hope to improve a bit........:)
Attachments
123 005.jpg
123 006.jpg

minimini
Approved Member

Re: Project Red Hotshot (6th Mar,2010 updated)

Post by minimini »

just have a quick look at the pit box........found a few pieces of Technacraft tie-rods........which fit this project........:D
Attachments
123.jpg

minimini
Approved Member

Re: Project Red Hotshot (8th Mar,2010 updated)

Post by minimini »

spent an hour today.........completed the steering bell-crank .............smoooooooooooth !!..........I personally not like the original coz' it does not have any bearings........ :(

also fixed the universals......... 8)
Attachments
123 009.jpg
123 008.jpg
123 007.jpg

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Minimini, I thought you were using that silver color alloy bellcrank.

BTW, which universal are you using now? :lol:

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

nice build im likeing the lola

minimini
Approved Member

Post by minimini »

tiger1 wrote:Minimini, I thought you were using that silver color alloy bellcrank.

BTW, which universal are you using now? :lol:
initially I did try the silver one...........but the height of the bellcrank was too high ..........after adding the ball studs........it will hit the front gear box..........:( ............fortunately I got another set which was very thin.........& problem solved......... :mrgreen:

concerning about the bellcrank........as the steering servo is at the left side.........that means the L-shaped handle of the bellcrank should be at right side........... which is opposite to the conventional RC10 configuration........

I am using the DF03 universals now........... :)

minimini
Approved Member

Re: Project Red Hotshot (10th Mar,2010 updated)

Post by minimini »

finished the gear boxes & four legs today...............but the gears inside are so terrible......... :shock: ......... bearing holes too big .......gear diff not smooth...........which need a lot of fine tuning with shims & collars............another point is that..........Tamiya is very generous to include four "identical" rear hubs in the kit.........but in fact only two of them got the bearing holes in the correct alignment..........:(

bought a red color multiplex servo in a LHS yesterday...........perfect for this project........ 8)

btw, any inputs for the choice of esc & controller which are period correct ??........many thanks !!
Attachments
123 007.jpg
123 008.jpg
123 010.jpg
123 009.jpg