Threaded Studs for Schumacher CAT builds...

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CNA75
Approved Member

Threaded Studs for Schumacher CAT builds...

Post by CNA75 »

I need to get hold of more of the stainless steel threaded studs which are used for the Schumacher CAT SWB/XL/XLSs? They are typically of the following sizes: M3 x 12, M3 x 24, M3 x 35 and M3 x45.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of these? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

uzzi
Approved Member

Re: Threaded Studs for Schumacher CAT builds...

Post by uzzi »

I think these might be a bit difficult to find on their own. You might be better off getting treaded rod length and cutting then down to the sizes you have mentioned. Try the r/c aircraft section they normally have these in stock...if not the imperial sizes 4-40 is very similar......hope this helps.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, that's what I would do.

here is a typical example.

90024A040 -part number for a stainless steel threaded rod, 1m long. www.mcmaster.com less than 4 bucks here in the states. You should be able to find something even more easily in the UK.

when you trim them to length, use a grinding wheel and grind the ends with the length of the rod perpendicular to the face of the stone, grinding down into the center of the rod, and spin it while grinding. This will bevel the edge neatly, and should allow nuts to thread easily as the bur is removed and the rod gets lead in taper.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Thanks a lot for the info, which is helpful. It suggests being a bit more involved than I'd hoped for - I don't have a grinding wheel and was hoping to be able to avoid having to buy one.

If anyone knows where threaded rods/studs can be custom ordered, then please do let me know. Thanks.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Just use the Dremel cutting disk (Get the reinforced version as they do last longer and less likely to break) to do the cutting and the face to round off the edges. Remember to wear safety glasses 8)

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

Where do these go on an old CAT? Are these just turnbuckles without the reverse-threaded bit, or are they extra-long setscrews (with the hex drive in one end)?

if so, I remember finding a number of UK suppliers a while ago but the minimum order quantity was 100. I can try to dig out my bookmarks if I can remember which computer they were on...!

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Steering link x 2
Front stabilizer x 2
Rear stabilizer x 2
Ball studs for stabilizer x 4

Alternatively you could just cut them to a rough length using heavy cutters and just file them down to size.....they are only 3mm sizes.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, if you don't have a dedicated grinder, a dremel or similar with some stones will work just as well. If you don't have that, you could use a file. to make it pretty, you could chuck the all-thread in a drill lightly and spin it while holding the file to dress the ends.

your other alternative is to buy a bunch of 3mm screws as long as your longest length needed and trim the heads off to desired length. I have a bunch of really long 4-40 screws I use as tie-rods, clip the heads, and dress the end.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Thanks a lot for the responses. On the CAT SWB/XL/XLS these are used for the steering links and roll bars as Uzzi mentions above. On the SWB and XL they were fully threaded (certainly on the SWB, not so certain about the XL though). On the XLS, they were not fully threaded and were effectively versions of the turnbuckles you often see today - the XLS utilises and additional extra long rod which goes through the rear of the transmission and extends the upper suspension arms out wider using nylon spacers (this too was not fully threaded).

For the purposes of the turnbuckles and roll bars, I've managed to find some on the Schumacher website which are the right length (24mm,35mm and 45mm) and will do perfectly (see here for those that are interested: (look half way down this page: http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/abspage/8/category/Product_Category/searchbox7/Suspension/subcategory/Full_List/templateid/12.html)

For the remaining smaller studs, I think I will follow the dremel route (as I have one of these already). So far I have been cutting down sections of screws which I have found works quite well, although they are not quite as neat as the originals that I have.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

For the shortest stud you could see if you can find some 12x3mm set screws (or grub screws) if they were slightly shorter it will not matter as long as more than half the ball connecter is threaded through.