Make your own parts

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Drusky
Approved Member

Make your own parts

Post by Drusky »

Wasn't sure where to put this but since I'm interested in making some RC10T parts it seemed best to put it here.

I think this is most useful for vintage goodies that are out of production but there's scope for all sorts of things:

Here's where I learned the basic technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSH19G_6Yeo&feature=related

I use different casting materials because I live in South Africa and American products aren't exactly freely available over here. It's reasonably easy to do. I'm still experimenting with the concept. I will probably end up using some glass fibre to strengthen parts although it takes a lot of pressure to break the pure epoxy resin piece. I will also play around with resins that have different tensile strengths.

The nice thing about using silicon moulding resin is that once you have made your two part mould, you don't need to use a mold release agent for future parts (unless you try to cast a silicon part). Word of caution. If you are planning on painting your part, do not use a liquid silicon release agent during mold construction, rather use wax.
Attachments
So far I've only copied an RC10T lhs front A-Arm and an RC12i spur gear
So far I've only copied an RC10T lhs front A-Arm and an RC12i spur gear
My silicon moulds with some orange coloured epoxy resin curing inside them
My silicon moulds with some orange coloured epoxy resin curing inside them
RC12i spur gear, silicon mould gets every detail across
RC12i spur gear, silicon mould gets every detail across

vintage racer
Approved Member

Re: Make your own parts

Post by vintage racer »

Very nice work my freind.I have allways wanted to play around with making bodies and parts just like your doing,most people just couldnt be bothered which is problebly why I havent done it yet.Congratulations on your efforts.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

hmmm think of the looks you get running a vintage rc10. now think of the looks you would get will clear parts. :mrgreen:

looks great. seems like a lot of work though when a lot of the parts are obtainable though. but the crystal look would be so sweet for a shelfer. keep us updated on this i wanna see more. great job!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

This is very cool 8) . I was thinking of doing it but never move forward on it because I was concern with the strength of the parts. Keep us posted on any developments with the fiber glass future parts.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Oh YEAH, thats look NICE, and SCREAMS for you to look at it. VERY nice!!!

I have a pic somewhere of a Truck, I think, with the Chassis, Shock Towers, and Arms, all made from...lexan, I beieve. Pretty cool!!

Drusky
Approved Member

Post by Drusky »

:lol: TIA (this is Africa) I can buy RC10T parts on e-bay as cheaply as you but it costs a buck to get here and takes 15-30 days USPS international. That said casting my own parts will be more expensive than buying (combination cost, time, effort). It's fun though.

The best part of this is that I could potentially carve a unique part out of some soft material like wax and then cast a female mould of it and make resin copies. Custom mods within easy reach of the imaginative rc car guy!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

One thing you want to look out for when casting copies of parts is that the material shrinks as it cures, so the new part will end up being a few percent smaller than the original. There is a link to a Japanese site on here about making copies of a buggy body, and the end result was a few millimeters shorter than the original.

Might not be a huge problem, as long as you don't use a copy of the original, or a copy of a copy, to make a new mold when the old one wears out.

kistner

Post by kistner »

have you tested any of your parts on the car yet? I wonder how those arms hold up versus stock.

Drusky
Approved Member

Post by Drusky »

Nothing tested yet, I have decided to remake the a-arm mould with a difference that will make things a little easier, I will post a pic once I have been successful.

I know:
The A-Arm was lighter and stiffer than the stock part.

I'm pretty sure:
You can't beat nylon for tough, impact resistance not with epoxy resin only. Using some glass fibre may improve the durability of the copies but will also increase the PITA factor. Ideally I must find a tough nylon like resin.

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

I think that would work great for less strained parts like bulkheads, servo mounts, and transmission braces.

mark
Approved Member

Post by mark »

That's cool, but are the parts strong? What happened to the broken arm?

Drusky
Approved Member

Post by Drusky »

I gripped that A-arm in my hands and added pressure until it broke. Then I yelled like Tarzan while beating with bestial vigour upon my chest. If you read my posts carefully you will see that I comment on the awesome properties of our good old nylon parts. I would recommend this technique to the guy in Africa who does not have easy access to replacement parts or to the hobbyist who would like to construct something different.

Heffay
Approved Member

Post by Heffay »

Drusky, I just got back in the hobby and already have plans to build a vacuum forming machine.
Thank you for the confidence.
The items you've displayed are great!... shelf quality.
JRX2 in the late 80s... have since come to my senses with the RC10T, yes of course it's vintage! Wife is always destroying her Tamiaya LunchBox to call me her personal mechanic a few more times. Enjoying the fresh build of an RJ Speed Digger.

rawpwr
Approved Member

Post by rawpwr »

what a great idea! let us know how they hold up
RAWPWR

jdenison75
Approved Member

Post by jdenison75 »

those are looking good. If they were on a shelf with some light coming from the bottom i bet it would look like they glow.