Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter

Post by XLR8 »

Great work Dadio. I wasn't aware until recently how important it is to prevent loctite from contacting plastics.
And thanks for posting the videos. The car runs great and it's very quick for running a basic 27t brushed motor. Did you run it on 2s?
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It was running on NiMH 7.2v , the motor is a 21 t I put a fake Yokomo sticker on it but its just a cheap modern one .
I've been starting to get more aggressive with the car and had a couple more failures , the significant one was the front lower right suspension arm failed at the rear inner mounting , again that's where I'd used Locktight , its now sporting a pair of nylon bottom arms .
The second failure is only due to my cheapness , I've had a pair of front one way roller bearings fail , they really were cheap though :wink: so I'll have to try and source some better quality ones .
Other than that its been great fun ripping around my front garden doing some little jumps , liberating to drive it harder than I might if I had to scour the world if I broke a part !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I shredded the third of the four one way rollers that I had so testing is over until replacements arrive ,I now have the lower arms and C hubs in nylon :D
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Your nylon arms look great. How is the printing going? I have always heard nylon was a pita. Are you using an enclosure with it?

I have just now went to PetG and I’m really tired of the stringing already lol. Ready to try something else
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I do use an enclosure and printing at 255 c on a 90 c bed with Esun EPA nylon , some Elmer's glue stick on a regular Ender 3 bed surface and for the arms I'm using a 6 mm brim , that seems to make a nice print , with the gears its the same but no brim and it can be a bit hit and miss weather they warp , I saw a good tutorial on printing nylon gears where he added a brim into the model file but the brim only touched the tips of the gear teeth not into the bottom of the trough , like a skirt that touches the tips of the teeth and that peeled off well without having to cut it away with an exacto knife .The one thing with Nylon is to keep it dry ! I keep mine in a sealed plastic container that I've made into a spool holder , I fitted it with a Bowden connector and a length of Bowden tube that I can insert into my extruder so it has minimal air exposure , I've seen tutorials that recommend sticking brand new rolls into the oven to dry at 70c for a few hours before using them , I thought that when mine arrived sealed in a vacchumed bag with desiccant it would be OK so I went ahead and started printing , after a couple of days I thought I'd dry it out in the oven and boy what a difference ! From now on I will dry mine in the oven from new as well it made such a difference !
I'm completely disillusioned with PET-G , its stringy to print and still shatters on impact , its OK if there's no shock load I guess but I find ABS is much easier to print ,in fact it prints nicer than PLA , is not brittle and has some flex , it can be drilled , tapped sanded , painted or vapour smoothed . You should try drying your PET-G though before you give up on it , stick it in the oven at 75°c for two or three hours and try it again , the finish is better and its less stringy , its well worth a try .
If you have an all metal hot end then try some ABS , an enclosure doesn't have to be much , a big inverter cardboard box would work .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Fully Nylon front suspension and TPU body , the PLA body started cracking and it rattled something awful so made the new one in TPU a flexible plastic , sorry about the colour its all i had .

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Dadio wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:38 pm Fully Nylon front suspension and TPU body , the PLA body started cracking and it rattled something awful so made the new one in TPU a flexible plastic , sorry about the colour its all i had .
Very nice!! The nylon parts look great and should hold up better than the previous versions.

No apology necessary. Could the body be painted?
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

No the TPU body is so flexible you can screw it into a ball and it just pops back , no paint will stick to it , a permanent marker pen is about the only option for colouring it .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Oops , looks like another part needs the nylon treatment , this broke landing a jump :cry: Next month I'll get some carbon fill nylon , its easier to print as it warps less , its more rigid and its black so its going to look right as well.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Just free hand , I've never seen in the flesh the real parts and i adapted it a bit , the trailing arms to mach are on their way.
it surprising how much it reduces play in the rear arms , i used a nut and bolt through the arms and bearings not just a rod and having slight tension through the axis takes away all the wobble .
If anybody has the real Delta Desert conversion and could give me three measurements i could make it closer to original shape .
1 the overall height from the chassis to the top of the shock mounting beam
2 the height from the chassis to the top of the trailing arm pivot housings
3 the width of the top shock mounting beam at its widest point where the shocks mount
I'd be very grateful and you should be able to measure these points without taking anything apart .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I think its finished , now I just need to print another complete set of parts to make sure all my alterations work together ... Not sure I can face it right now :roll: .
I guess before that I should fully stress test the prototype , I had what I'm hoping will be the last part failure today , the last piece of the transmition not made from nylon , the front chain sprocket lost its teeth , it was only a PLA test fit piece that I'd not got round to replacing yet , I kind of forgot about it and I'm stunned it lasted as long as it did , probable 15 runs !

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Stress testing continues , the last piece of PET-G failed , it was a reasonably hard hit on the fence in all fairness and it was the direct copy of the original not the stronger design , its now being printed in nylon to the stronger design , the hit also broke a nylon C hub on that corner but its only half broken , it kind of shows the difference in strength , the massive PET-G bulkhead shattered , the tiny C hub only partially broke !

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Really cool stuff this project 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I previously mentioned that I was having one way roller bearings failing , well I tried some more expensive ones , they failed too , now I've got to look at slightly wider ones , I think I can squeeze 8 mm wide ones in .