Rpm rc10bum

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Re: Rpm rc10bum

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:19 pm Bare aluminum oxidizes and dulls over time. Basically the same as anodizing, just without pigment. They could also have been purposely clear anodized.
I hadn't even thought that the screws would have aged.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Are there any questions that anyone would have about this kit, or anything else RPM that they may want asked?(and hopefully answered)

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Took a field trip to ask some questions and get some answers today.

C06DE8C8-BBF7-4F6A-B208-5710CF8922E0.jpeg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Did you get to meet Richard?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:34 pm Did you get to meet Richard?
Yes and he was extremely generous with his time. He took about 1 1/2 hours out of his day to show me the factory and the process of parts creation from mold creation though packaging. That process is intense.

I also got to hear a lot of stories about the early days in rc and specifics on the ultra molded buggies and trucks.

The whole crew over there was very kind.

Although I asked nicely there isn’t going to be a re-release of the ultra molded cars. Remaking the mold would just be too much trouble.

I had my chassis factory modified.
4EFF2416-B7D0-4A3C-A826-EC794EAC49AE.jpeg
I think he is done with signing chassis after this one. He mentioned that he only signed one other.

There wasn’t anything left from that far back. Richard was kind enough to give me a part I did not know I was missing and isn’t on any sheet.
527494CB-9C74-4D26-911C-8317DB0EAF1A.jpeg
These are the specific Acetal pivots that are used on the front with the shocks. The rear uses the same pivots as the truck.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

They would have come with that chassis kit, including the shock rod ends and spring cups. Front only.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

scr8p wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:25 am They would have come with that chassis kit, including the shock rod ends and spring cups. Front only.
Do you mean there were only rod ends and spring cups for the front? Are the pivots compatible with the AE RODS ENDS.

Do you happen to have a list of everything that it would have come with? This kit seemed pretty complete but it looks like there are a number of pieces missing.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Also came with the “team arms”

Instructions are here, however no pics or parts list
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=28575
Attachments
C85A0B71-7B08-4345-9A84-A238C98A3715.jpeg
C1D3740B-9D4C-4DDF-B6D8-83BFF16A04F0.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

JosephS wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:10 pm
GoMachV wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:49 pm AE sourced the blue screws from fastener express. They do offer natural screws as well. Might have a look and see if those are the ones they used.
I'll have to figure out how to take a proper picture of the differences. I am beginning to think that the screws are hard coated grey.

Normal aluminum screws look like the 'Bright' finish. The screws I'm looking at are more like the 'Matte.'

It's hard to see in a picture, but it's grey and not shiny like a natural finish.
The aluminum screws that were used on the Ultramold build are the AE packaged ones. They were random dull colors. I still have several in my pit box from bitd.
The official TX SKUNK

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

JosephS wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:48 pm
jcwrks wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:07 pm JosephS, I believe I have a white trans brace.
Great to know. I want to see about getting a full parts list together before I start buying but the offer is nice.

It looks like it’s missing
  • transmission brace
  • motor mount brace
  • 1.5 degree rear arm mount
  • delrin shock pivots
  • original instructions
  • header card
To add to your list, as scr8p pointed out, it's also missing the translucent white front shock cups, shock shaft rod ends, and the preload spacers.
The official TX SKUNK

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

4DB5DF10-032F-4499-9BC8-07BAC7810D69.jpeg
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

MarkyDents wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:32 pm 4DB5DF10-032F-4499-9BC8-07BAC7810D69.jpeg
Thanks! I have a feeling that the 3 bags in the kit were the chassis, Worlds front and Worlds rear kit. It's nice to see all the parts laid out so clearly and see that it came with pins. Apparently even though this was a short run vehicle the picture show the early version front shock tower that was made by associated. The manufacture later shifted somewhere else and those towers don't have the nose tube holes cut in them.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

So in some random notes:

All of the RPM parts to this day are made of Nylon6. (not 66 nor glass reinforced) Same as associated parts. Apparently there are a number of additives that can be mixed in with the plastic as it is injected. RPM is using an additive that allows for better abrasion and impact resistance. It would be something like this
Dow impact resistance additives It wasn't mentioned which exact ones they use. Associated also used an impact resistance modifier from dupont. (forget the exact name)

The Ultra Molded chassis utilized glass reinforced PA-6. This was so that it could be stiff enough.

The entire chassis was designed and drawn by hand without computer aids.

This additive is likely why the RPM and associated parts need different methods of whitening.

The lower mounting holes on the shock tower are for the mounting of the original1.02fronts. Oval racers would mount a.71 interior and 1.02 exterior shock.

The initial front shock towers were made by associated an included holes for the nose tubes. Later versions were made elsewhere and had no holes for the nose tubes.

RPM also manufactures plastics for medical devices.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

JosephS wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:49 pm So in some random notes:

All of the RPM parts to this day are made of Nylon6. (not 66 nor glass reinforced) Same as associated parts. Apparently there are a number of additives that can be mixed in with the plastic as it is injected. RPM is using an additive that allows for better abrasion and impact resistance. It would be something like this
Dow impact resistance additives It wasn't mentioned which exact ones they use. Associated also used an impact resistance modifier from dupont. (forget the exact name)

The Ultra Molded chassis utilized glass reinforced PA-6. This was so that it could be stiff enough.

The entire chassis was designed and drawn by hand without computer aids.

This additive is likely why the RPM and associated parts need different methods of whitening.

The lower mounting holes on the shock tower are for the mounting of the original .56 fronts. Oval racers would mount a .56 interior and 1.02 exterior shock.

The initial front shock towers were made by associated an included holes for the nose tubes. Later versions were made elsewhere and had no holes for the nose tubes.

RPM also manufactures plastics for medical devices.
I was almost positive the lower front tower hole was for .71 shocks.

The RPM World's front and rear kits came before the Ultramold kit. The nose brace tube holes in the tower was mandatory for the front kit. The Ultramold doesn't use the holes, so it is possible they had someone else cutting those towers.
The official TX SKUNK

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

JosephS wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:36 pm
MarkyDents wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:32 pm 4DB5DF10-032F-4499-9BC8-07BAC7810D69.jpeg
Thanks! I have a feeling that the 3 bags in the kit were the chassis, Worlds front and Worlds rear kit. It's nice to see all the parts laid out so clearly and see that it came with pins. Apparently even though this was a short run vehicle the picture show the early version front shock tower that was made by associated. The manufacture later shifted somewhere else and those towers don't have the nose tube holes cut in them.
rpm_8080_ultramold_buggy (2).jpg
The official TX SKUNK