Alex B's Yokomo WCS 93 build thread (January 2016 update)

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Alex B
Approved Member

Re: Alex B's Yokomo WCS 93 build thread

Post by Alex B »

DerbyDan wrote:Thanks for those pictures.... the variations of those parts are pretty much as I would have expected, I must admit that on my build I never thought i'd ever find the correct ZD-409 WCS parts - so used the later parts but installed black socket head 8/32" screws instead of the gold AE Ali screws to get a more authentic 'look' - great find in getting your parts!

You'll be pleased to know that when I drew the profile for the chassis - I left the holes at the smaller (original) size & Fibrelyte's data should also include the correct countersinking for the WCS screws.... I had to open up the holes in my chassis & deepen the c/sink to suit the 8/32 screws :wink:
Thanks Dan. What I find interesting is that the earlier WCS rear mounts seem to the extra mount taken off by hand, why make a mold with the extra mounting points when the WCS chassis design had no call for them?

Perhaps to speculate, maybe Yokomo had an issue with the molded rear bulkhead (that would eventually show on the 94 YZ-10) and for whatever reason couldn't get the issues sorted prior to the worlds and used the modified works style bulkhead or even issues with the rear outdrives?
:shock:

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

Gary

Got the parts today. Thank you very much. PM me and I'll reimburse you the postage.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

Alex B wrote:Gary

Got the parts today. Thank you very much. PM me and I'll reimburse you the postage.
no prob's! sorry for late reply used up my internet quoter :oops: enjoy your special build :D

Alex B
Approved Member

Re: Alex B's Yokomo WCS 93 build thread (big update)

Post by Alex B »

I have had a bit of free time the last day or so, so I decided that I would do a mock up of the parts that I have got for this build.

Still a fair way to go, but at least a few of the unique parts will soon be arriving at Alex B towers 8) .

Attachments
18052012242.JPG
18052012241.JPG
18052012240.JPG
18052012239.JPG
18052012238.JPG
18052012237.JPG
18052012236.JPG

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

This is looking great Alex.... keep up the good work, nice to see that rear tower being built into a car :D

Would be nice to get your magnesium parts media blasted to clean them up? :wink:

P.S; I have new bumper envy :mrgreen:

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Aha, so that´s what the evil bulkhead cutting was about.
Looks very cool. Was the WCS edition very limited, I´m thinking, since an original bulkhead hasn´t been sourced?
Gone fishing

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

DennisM wrote:Aha, so that´s what the evil bulkhead cutting was about.
Looks very cool. Was the WCS edition very limited, I´m thinking, since an original bulkhead hasn´t been sourced?
Shamelessly stolen from Dual's 'sticky' Yokomo Timeline thread;

'November 1993: Yokomo World Championship Special (W.C.S.)
An EXACT replica (right down to the titanium and aluminium hardware) of the car Masami Hirosaka used to win the 1993 IFMAR World Championships. A real departure from the earlier Works '91/'93 models and famously sported the white G.R.P. shock towers and upper deck. First Yokomo to sport a true carbon fibre chassis (as opposed to graphite) and did not use the Magnesium/Aluminium front bulkhead as on previous models instead had a new design nylon front bulkhead. New design chunky front and rear arms and front upper link. Also included the troublesome 2mm fine pitch belts because that is what Masami had on his car. This model had to be reserved/special ordered (deposit put down in full) and it was only ever released in very small numbers. Definately one of the rarest and most sought after Yokomo's ever produced.'

I spoke to Jason Varley at CML distribution (Yokomo distributers for the UK) Who reckoned they got about 40 kits imported - this doesn't include those cars brought over for the World Champs that were given to team drivers for use during the event & weren't returned.... (I believe my car was one of these)

Despite this aparent rare-ness - there's now quite a few owned by members on this forum - I have also seen a fair number of WCS specific spares for sale which helps people like Alex build up cars from scratch.... i've actually seen more 93WCS cars than very late 97 YZ-10s or YMP MX4s :?:

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

DerbyDan wrote:
Shamelessly stolen from Dual's 'sticky' Yokomo Timeline thread;

'November 1993: Yokomo World Championship Special (W.C.S.)
An EXACT replica (right down to the titanium and aluminium hardware) of the car Masami Hirosaka used to win the 1993 IFMAR World Championships. A real departure from the earlier Works '91/'93 models and famously sported the white G.R.P. shock towers and upper deck. First Yokomo to sport a true carbon fibre chassis (as opposed to graphite) and did not use the Magnesium/Aluminium front bulkhead as on previous models instead had a new design nylon front bulkhead. New design chunky front and rear arms and front upper link. Also included the troublesome 2mm fine pitch belts because that is what Masami had on his car. This model had to be reserved/special ordered (deposit put down in full) and it was only ever released in very small numbers. Definately one of the rarest and most sought after Yokomo's ever produced.'

I spoke to Jason Varley at CML distribution (Yokomo distributers for the UK) Who reckoned they got about 40 kits imported - this doesn't include those cars brought over for the World Champs that were given to team drivers for use during the event & weren't returned.... (I believe my car was one of these)

Despite this aparent rare-ness - there's now quite a few owned by members on this forum - I have also seen a fair number of WCS specific spares for sale which helps people like Alex build up cars from scratch.... i've actually seen more 93WCS cars than very late 97 YZ-10s or YMP MX4s :?:
YMP productions only released in Japan, very few of them collecting by overseas collectors. I think the rarest list is 870C worlds replica>YMP MX4>mx4 worlds replica>WCS

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

DerbyDan wrote:This is looking great Alex.... keep up the good work, nice to see that rear tower being built into a car :D

Would be nice to get your magnesium parts media blasted to clean them up? :wink:

P.S; I have new bumper envy :mrgreen:
Thanks Dan, I have most of the parts now, just the fibreltye bits and some from Jose in japan to arrive. Should be complete within the next two weeks :)

I'm leaving the mag motor mount as it is as I prefer the patinated look.

That bumper came with a WCS 95 I bought from Germany around 3 years ago :P

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

DerbyDan wrote:

Not least your chassis mold Dan

I'm lucky I now have both the WCS 93 and WCS 95!!

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Alex B wrote:I'm lucky I now have both the WCS 93 and WCS 95!!
What version is the WCS 95?

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

fakiee wrote:
Alex B wrote:I'm lucky I now have both the WCS 93 and WCS 95!!
What version is the WCS 95?
Pavidis as it's commonly referred as.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Alex B wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:

Not least your chassis mold Dan

I'm lucky I now have both the WCS 93 and WCS 95!!
Chassis mold?
Now there´s some explaining to do :-)
Gone fishing

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

DennisM wrote:
Alex B wrote:

Chassis mold?
Now there´s some explaining to do :-)
I'll let Dan answer that one!

Alex B
Approved Member

Re: Alex B's Yokomo WCS 93 build thread (90% complete)

Post by Alex B »

Almost there!!!!

Attachments
02062012263.JPG
02062012262.JPG
02062012261.JPG
02062012260.JPG
02062012259.JPG
02062012258.JPG
02062012257.JPG
02062012256.JPG
02062012255.JPG