Losi XX and a donor Kinwald

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mwg
Approved Member

Re: Losi XX and a donor Kinwald

Post by mwg »

Yep, I am planning to take it to Moulten next Tuesday when I am back at work! Be good to see another XX :-) You can be sure to point out all that is wrong with mine... New steering hardware will arrive tomorrow.

I did race this car... Back in 1993 when I was six! Suffice to say, I don't remember too much about it now.

I think with regards to the electronics and wiring - I will make do for the first few runs and then look to go Brushless/Lipo as soon as possible - and replace them all then.

A couple of questions if I may:-

Are you running Losi 22 wheels in your XX?
How much play do you have at the front wheels? I seem to have alot of movement (through toe) in the front wheels.

Thanks!

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

The movement you are refering to is probley due to worn out rod ends at the end of the links. RPM still makes replacement sets in different colours. short and long in 4-40 thread size. usually $5-6.

Not uncommon. :D
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

I think I am actually using the turnbuckles and rod ends from a 22. The Donor Kinwald had them and i have an adjustment spanner that fits them. :-)

I will look into the cause when the steering is reassembled.

But the consensus is that there should not be the play?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

tight as a drum.. isnt the 22 metric hardware?? IE ball studs?? did you change those too??
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

These:

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

The turnbuckle wrench sizes are the same on both cars, but the ball ends, turnbuckles are different.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

wiggle the front wheels back and forth and if you look real real close. you should see some movement between the ball studs and the rod ends. (Yes those pictured above) should be 12 in total in the front. thats where all the play is coming from, I assume without having it infront of me.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

losi xx uses Imperiel hardware IE 4-40 thread sizes. the new losi 22 uses Metric hardware IE 3mm-4mm etc. so if you installed 3mm rod ends on a imperial ball stud then thats probley why its sloppy

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

I'll look into it when the new steering is on. I seem to remember the play being there before, I'll get back to you :-)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

that might not be the case. The threads might be metric, but they could still be 4.3mm balls. I think HPI and Kyosho use something a little different, like 4.6mm or something. Maybe losi went to a larger ball, but it's hard to say without measuring them directly.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I have both cars here.
I'll check later if I get a chance.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

mwg wrote:Yep, I am planning to take it to Moulten next Tuesday when I am back at work! Be good to see another XX :-) You can be sure to point out all that is wrong with mine... New steering hardware will arrive tomorrow.

I did race this car... Back in 1993 when I was six! Suffice to say, I don't remember too much about it now.

I think with regards to the electronics and wiring - I will make do for the first few runs and then look to go Brushless/Lipo as soon as possible - and replace them all then.

A couple of questions if I may:-

Are you running Losi 22 wheels in your XX?
How much play do you have at the front wheels? I seem to have alot of movement (through toe) in the front wheels.

Thanks!
Wow - you were only six! Starting racing will be like starting all over again! When you go along next Tuesday try not to be put off by how quick & well equipped many of the racers are - you'll find that like myself most of the guys have been racing for more years than they would care to admit! Luckily the race organisers will put you in a race with others who are of similar ability.

I use either xxx or the 5 spoke xx wheels like yours, the xxx wheels are still available through Losi dealers, they are a direct fit, where as I'm not sure if the 22 wheels fit without further mods? The xxx wheels are wider both front & rear, tyres on the front need to be mounted inside the inner lip (I trim off the exposed lip that is left) - the tyres on the rear are mounted conventionally but stretched slightly, because the wheel is wider but the same offset as the xx wheel you need to cut the top inner link off the hub carriers.

The 'play' in your steering should only be a touch more than the play in your camber links - even fresh new balls & cups will have a bit of play.... contrary to what many people seem to think, some play is necessary to make an R/C car drive able, a car with no play is so twitchy! That said check that you have fitted the tiny little bearings/plastic bushes at the top & bottom of the steering bell crank & servo saver? The Kinwald that I'm running (came with ball raced steering) had a collapsed bearing causing the servo saver to flop about!

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

Having now rebuilt the front end (with new steering hardware and assembly) I can confirm there are two types of ball stud. When using the correct bull stud, there is significantly less play in the turnbuckles.

The two types are below: the larger (correct size, on the right) for the turnbuckles have flat tops.

Does anyone know if these are from a 22? I will need to get some more as I am one short!

Other than that, I will fit my race tyres in my original rims and take a new photo ready for Tuesday!

Thanks everyone.

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

She is now ready for Tuesday. - complete with original wheel discs.

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

Mmmm Lookin very nice indeed sir:)

Hope you have a good time tuesday.