My Works 93 Runner Project. Should be fun!! ;)

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Re: My Works 93 Runner Project. Should be fun!! ;)

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well - there goes a few hours of my life I wont get back - just as well it turned out ok!!

Man - the previous owner LOVED super glue - but in all the wrong places. They used it to hold the servo down, bulkheads - even the battery straps!! :lol: :lol: I basically had to sand (as much as I dared) the entire top of the chassis to get rid of it all. Then I actually did what they should have done instead: I sanded all the edges carefully to get a nice radius on them and then superglued the edges of the chassis to stop it de-laminating. It had started to de-laminate in a couple of places - nothing to major, but I just wanted to make sure it was as perfect and as strong as I could make it.

Then I got a bit dissapointed at how rough it still looked - so I busted out the 3-Racing carbon decal sheet and stuck it on the chassis and top plate...........it actually looks pretty good, not something I would normally do, however this is a special car - so I want it to look good as well as go well. Once the decal was down, I trimmed carefully and re-superglued the edges again to get a good seal. I went over the edges with a permanent marker and the result is pretty good....not a replacement for a genuine carbon chassis - however this is a runner - and the standard chassis was actually excellent in my opinion and did not need changing - even back in the day.......................

Anyways - onto the suspension and drive-train over the next week or so now!!

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Bullfrog
Approved Member

Post by Bullfrog »

looks good Daz, keep it coming

cheers Rob

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice! and that back plate for the TCS looks as bad as the center hub :shock: This puppy was well run! 8)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Nice! and that back plate for the TCS looks as bad as the center hub :shock: This puppy was well run! 8)
:lol: :lol: Yep - this was a well run car thats for sure. It's pretty sound though - so it should be ok. Spent a tonne of time making sure the chassis was good enough, other than a few extra holes (which are now filled) it is golden. I am still struggling to work out how the heck they managed to get half way worn through the chassis around the rear pulley area - mistifying as to how and why it happend.

Anyways, I am very happy with the integrity of the chassis - or I would not have continued. There is no way I would try and finda 93 chassis, let alone pay the dollars for a new one!

Hopefully I will get a bit more done today and this week.

Cheers - and thanks for the comments as always - even if they do hurt..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Id say they must have had stock in the Belt brand lol

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yeah you would think so - but thats the weird thing, the wear "troughs" are in completely the wrong spot for belt rub or wear.......This one really has me scratching my head as to how and why the wear marks are there.......

Either way - they will be filled and cleaned. Already sealed all the edges with superglue to prevent further or any de-lamination.

Cheers

Darryn

Bullfrog
Approved Member

Post by Bullfrog »

hi mate

is this what you are chasing ??

cheers Rob
Attachments
MPP - MY07 - one way hub a.JPG

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Wow Rob - I am guessing it could be!! Although I dont think I need the one way on the slipper - this is for a YZ10 I think (could be wrong - either way - it will be very useful!!;) )

LOL You have been a bit of a source for me lately havent you!!

Give you a call later mate for a general catch up! :)

Cheers

Darryn

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well, elbow grease has resulted in some relatively good results. I dont want these parts highly polished for display, I just want them nice and clean - as it is going to be a runner!

Just for kicks, after I cleaned up the standard alloy rear bulkhead - I decided I would weigh it and compare it with the weight of a new in packet magnesium bulkead.....quite a huge difference actually - expecially seeing that the alloy one was "lightened" by the previous owner (really badly too!! LOL)

The bearings are completely "toast" - so they went straight in the bin - could not even get them to move!! Plastics are still undergoing "treatment" - and I am yet to tackle that lump of rust and dirt that is the differential.........I think I will have to replace the pulleys at least - as I am wanting/hoping to get those new layshaft pulleys. I have some nice carbiode balls ready to drop in should it be worth it. This will be running an 8.5 mod - so I want it to be just right.

Anyway, I will let the pics do the talking for the moment:

Thanks again for your comments, appreciate the conversation!! :)

Cheers for now

Darryn

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Update:

Well - it is "on like donkey kong" now. Things have gotten serious!! :lol:

I dont know how long I have spent of getting the gunk off these parts and polishing plates and diff balls and cleaning plastic parts - but the effort is starting to pay off.

I decided to really challenge myself and try to salvage as many parts as I possibly could from this rebuild - as I dont really want to break into my NIP parts cache unless I have to. This car is going to be a runner - so anything that still has reasonable life in it still has purpose. Parts are not easy to come by and I would rather have every bit of use I can without risking failure. I threw away all the bearings from the rear end - they were just totally trashed. Also had to throw away the rear bulkhead cap as it was split in several places and I was not confident that it would hold up to to much abuse. Surprisingly, under all that gunk, the diff was actually pretty good once I thoroughly cleaned and polished the plates and balls. There was of course a decent groove in the diff ring - but I simply flipped it over and polished the other side and it is just ace! The balls were actually in really good nick, they polished up well. The pulley took ages to get all the gunk out of, however it turned out to be pretty good too, just alot of time spent cleaning. I could have saved alot of time by using new parts - but hey - waste not, want not!!

Anyways - enough of me talking - here are some pics:

Really starting to take shape nicely now.

Time to hit that front end!!

Cheers

Darryn

p.s - if anyone has a complete 93 layshaft with pulleys - or just the pulleys - please let me know!!

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

wow taking shape nicely now 8)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

before: yuk
after: yum!

Elbow grease really does miracles doesn't it? ;)

good job!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yep - I am starting to think I need to buy shares in this elbow grease stuff! Especially when I look at the 870C I have to do as well!! :shock:

Its all good, I know its worth the effort.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Darryn

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Great work as always Darryn. The carbon fibre decal sheet had me looking twice! I thought it looked that good!

When building my diffs I employed the use of some decals which I cut into circles. I didnt invent this idea and to be honest it could have been you that told me about it at one stage. Anyway I find it keeps the diffs cleaner for longer. Ive used this idea on both my 501X and 870c and it really makes such a difference.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

bormac wrote:Great work as always Darryn. The carbon fibre decal sheet had me looking twice! I thought it looked that good!

When building my diffs I employed the use of some decals which I cut into circles. I didnt invent this idea and to be honest it could have been you that told me about it at one stage. Anyway I find it keeps the diffs cleaner for longer. Ive used this idea on both my 501X and 870c and it really makes such a difference.
Thankyou, the chasis does look ok, you wont be really able to tell until you get really close. It is more for looks as it is rather better looking than beaten up graphite! It may be a runner, but it still has to present well.

I remember talking about it with you and others at a meeting at some stage in the past.....its not a new idea - but a really good little trick. I used to use really thin lexan or margarine containers for the discs BITD!! :lol:

I actually had them cut out already - but forgot to put them on in the excitement of getting the thing back together. Was something we used to do back in the old days, as the diffs really do get gritty quickly in certain conditions.

Doing the front diff over the next couple of days - so we will see them on there then.

Cheers

Darryn