Tire/wheel recommendation

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

EmptyHand
Approved Member

Tire/wheel recommendation

Post by EmptyHand »

Total newbie here. RC10 brain trust: What are the go-to tires (and maybe replacement wheels) for neighborhood bashers? I’ll be running the 40th re-re as I would have 35 years ago in a mixed urban environment (parks, ball field, streets, curb jumping, etc). My Hornet and Frog knobbies were half bald in weeks. Just looking for something that’ll get thr RC10 up/over/through it all a little better.

Talk to me like a 10 year old. I know nothing.

juicedcoupe

Re: Tire/wheel recommendation

Post by juicedcoupe »

Some JC Racing 2.2 wheels and modern tires will be your best bet. They'll probably look a little odd on a short arm car.

Just note that the fronts are available in two widths. The narrow looks more "correct" on a vintage car but tire selection is limited.

The wide front has a large selection of tires. A 4WD front tire can even be used, although it will balloon a little.

Jconcepts has some tires and wheels in the 1.7/1.9 sizes (they don't fit the factory wheels!) but they are smaller versions of their race tires. They are soft and will wear fast.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

EmptyHand
Approved Member

Post by EmptyHand »

Thanks @juicedcoupe

I see the brand JConcepts popping up a lot on searches.

My TT-02B has Tamiya Dual Block K tires, which look somewhat closer to the J Concepts Double Dee or Barcode tires. The Tamiya tires seem not great on any particular surface I run but acceptable on all of them, but that could also be that its my first 4WD car and as such is a lot easier to control.

On the other hand, the Frog and Hornet knobby tires are simply horrible the moment I transition to any hard surface like asphalt, cement, or even hard packed dirt really when I full-speed-ahead the throttle.

Probably a rally type tire is best as a jack of all trades, master of none... but I'm not seeing anything quite like that for the RC10 wheels sizes, so looks like I may be venturing into a new wheel set to accommodate something bigger up front.

The search continues....

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

EmptyHand wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:44 pm Thanks @juicedcoupe

I see the brand JConcepts popping up a lot on searches.

My TT-02B has Tamiya Dual Block K tires, which look somewhat closer to the J Concepts Double Dee or Barcode tires. The Tamiya tires seem not great on any particular surface I run but acceptable on all of them, but that could also be that its my first 4WD car and as such is a lot easier to control.

On the other hand, the Frog and Hornet knobby tires are simply horrible the moment I transition to any hard surface like asphalt, cement, or even hard packed dirt really when I full-speed-ahead the throttle.

Probably a rally type tire is best as a jack of all trades, master of none... but I'm not seeing anything quite like that for the RC10 wheels sizes, so looks like I may be venturing into a new wheel set to accommodate something bigger up front.

The search continues....
I am running 2.2" wheels on my rc10 with traxxas anaconda tires for general bashing. The size looks weird, but the extra ground clearance make for better bashing. A&L (factoryworks) makes real wheel 1/4" axle to 12mm hex adapters so you can run modern hex rear wheels without having to modify the buggy.