Aluminum idler gear

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R6cowboy

Aluminum idler gear

Post by R6cowboy »

Are there advantages/disadvantages running an aluminum idler gear? Please post your opinions and/or experiences.

I recently just picked up an aluminum idler gear for a 2.6 trans on ebay. It can be used in my RC10 T4 brushless basher or in a shelf queen. My original thought was it would have an advantage of being stronger then the stock plastic idler gear in my T4 basher with a Hobbywing 4000kV brushless system. But this maybe unnecessary for a smooth well built trans, and could possibly cause increased friction or heat within the trans...?? Also, with a steel top shaft, aluminum idler and plastic gear differential, this could make the plastic gear diff the weak link in the trans. Thoughts..? I do keep the trans gears lightly greased and routinely maintenanced.
-Jerry-

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Aluminum idler gear

Post by GoMachV »

in my experience the steel topshaft wears the aluminum idler which then takes out the diff gear. You can try to keep them greased, but also beware that the grease makes the aluminum powder into abrasive toothpaste.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I concur, even the glass filled nylon tends to eat the aluminum over time.

I've run some crazy power through the stock T4 gearbox, never stripped a nylon gear, never greased the gears and ran the slipper basically locked down. Obviously just be smart and don't keep the throttle pegged when you land off a jump.

The hobbywing 4000kv is a 4 pole motor? That's a heavy motor with a lot of torque.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

RC10th wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:25 pm The hobbywing 4000kv is a 4 pole motor? That's a heavy motor with a lot of torque.
It is 4 pole and slightly heavier at 216g compared to the 211g Reedy 3300kV 4 pole motor that it came with.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

What are thoughts regarding a hardened steel idler gear like the Robinson Racing idler? Just now noticed that one.

Anyways, I'll be keeping the stock nylon idler in the brushless T4 runner. The aluminum unit will be installed in one of the B4 or T4 shelfers.
-Jerry-

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I dislike aluminum gears. In my experience they wear down and then with shortened teeth they strip out the mating nylon gear.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:17 pm in my experience the steel topshaft wears the aluminum idler which then takes out the diff gear. You can try to keep them greased, but also beware that the grease makes the aluminum powder into abrasive toothpaste.
I guess it goes to say that the disadvantage is that you should be rebuilding your gear box often so that you don't make grinding paste from oil and aluminum oxide.

If every couple of run you disassemble, clean and re-grease the box it should not wear out much faster than a nylon gear.