SilverTriple's printing stuff...

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Re: SilverTriple's printing stuff...

Post by Dangeruss »

That come out extremely nice. Sure you didn't just set a molded plastic part on your printer bed for a glory shot? :wink: :P :lol:

All joking aside, that really is an impressive surface finish. 👍

...oops! Didn't expect my post to start a new page... Ya'll should page back and see his last print... it really is impressive! :P :lol:

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I was very pleasantly surprised by the print quality... All the more so as, it just relied on the lidar flow calibration... And even seams are really difficult to see... But wahat is really amazing is the material texture...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

One of the issues of my way of working is that I start to believe I love working in CAD way more than printing, or even building cars.... And the issue is now to find new cars to model...

Few cars I would love to put my hands on for full CAD modeling (off road buggies 1/10, EP, and trying to avoid car already model by others):
- Bandai/Monogram Mad Wolf (i'm not sure if I should thanks @GoMachV to have mentioned this one at some point in our discussions)
- RCL Incident

That being said, I would also love to model few GP cars, and among those, the Serpent Quattro chassis family is what come to my mind naturally...

Anyway, back to 3D printing... Some change may take place in my home fablab this year. I'm not sure what will take the priority but here is some of my current thinking/searches:
- a bigger FDM printer : multi material is a must, around 350x350x350 print volume, ideally dual extruder, direct drive, enclosed
- a 10inches SLA printer : Uniformation GK2 maybe filling all the ticks for this one (same criterias I used for the Photon M3, but bigger, with heating included).
- a desktop molding injection press : i've took some contacts to have price estimates, but it appeared far more expensive than what I was thinking initially, to the point an industrial press might be way cheaper, if I had the room for it (spoiler : it's big and heavy, and there is no way I get this stored at home). So this will have to be revisited later, or built in DIY...
- a Lathe or CNC mill... I know this is out of the 3D printing, but a step file is not that far from a STL file regarding modeling, and the more I do things, the more i'm tempted to approach the "complete designed and built by myself car"
(and it is obvious that due to the cost of some equipments, I should forget the list of dreamt car for CAD :-/ - all about choice and priorities...)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

It's funny... The other day, spoke about CNC mill and lathe with a friend on messenger, and since then, I have a lot of publication about Makera Carvera in my feeds... It's costly, too much to my current budget, but from what I see, it could be quite interesting for many of my use cases...
And I just discovered they plan for a lower cost offering which is supposed to launch at some point this year. This may change some of my priorities... Maybe at some point, I'll have to replace printing by making in the tittle of the thread...

For those with experience in CNC/lathe machine, any equivalent offering out there?

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Someone at the club had some ideas about putting together some printed parts to make a drift track, and we discussed his ideas... He was looking for some big parts to mark the walls of the track. He is a beginner in both 3D design and printing. He started to put some design together without thinking about printability (ease of printing, time of printing), and cost. His design required supports, and printing time would have been around 10 hours per part...

I made a very quick design on my own to explain him a few things.

there is 4 different parts (I may add some additional components in the collection later on).
- 1 straight component
- 1 turning 10° left
- 1 turning 10° right
- one connector

Printing 20 of them with 20 connectors would be approximatively about 8 hours (5% infill, strength settings), and would use about a third of a kilogram of filament, with no support needed. And that would be good to mark about 1 meters of track. 10 meters marker would be about 40 hours of printing.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Just published the first set of parts for the modular walls in case you want to build yourself a simple rc track :
https://makerworld.com/en/models/395252#profileId-296531

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

One of my work colleague knows i'm doing a lot of 3D printing and CAD activity. A few days ago, she contacted me and asked if I could do a part for her husband newly acquired Can-Am MY 2015. I told her I was not sure, but why not.
And the following day in the office, her husband came to show the trike and the issue he had with the luggage rack lock. He lost the left lock on the road. I looked at the part and thought I could do something about this as it is initially plastic part, with not much effort on it, and it should be doable with a print in PETG or Nylon (ABS is out of the picture due to the way it wears with UV exposition). I designed a part, and completed with another part so it's better than the original design, printed the two parts, and brought them to my colleague with a mission to test it over the week-end. They did 150km with the part, and iit worked, but there was something that could be improved, which I did.
I'l currently printing two sets and will get this delivered on next day in the office.

Another thing I did within the week-end was to print a TPU part. My daughter's car exhaust had an issue : the silent block (rubber) was broken, and the main exhaust tube detached itself from the collector. I had to find a temporary solution until we get the replacement parts (silent block and connector tube - which is currently out of stock at the same place, and they will only send both when they have them in inventory). I took the original part, modeled it and printed it in TPU shore 98A.
We mounted it yesterday with my son, and it works. Not sure how long it will work, but at least that's a temporary solution (I'm actually curious to know about how long it last).

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Found recently a video that caught me curious...

It's not yet on the market, it's small build volume, it's pricey, but SLS to that price it is still highly interesting and would give many possibilities... And if this works as advertised, it may just disrupt the market like the Bambu Lab X1C did, which could be quite interesting with a lot of evolutions in a very few years to come...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

My wife asked me if I could do some tick removers for the poney club...
I found one on Printables ( https://www.printables.com/model/153838-tick-remover ). It is easy to print, and my wife used a few already succesfully. I reworked it to include the poney club logo and a hole to be able to fix it to a ring, and printed a prototype.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I tend to procrastinate a lot when it comes to resin printing... The process is so cumbersome any reason to delay a print is a good reason...

I delayed so much that I can just throw an ABS like resin bottle away. I was about to launch some prints today. I shaked the bottle quite for a few minutes, and when I pourred it in the VAT, there was a lot of blobs... This resin is dead. Not sure when I got this bottle, but it might be a bit more than one year ago... Anyway, lesson learned, only order when you need the resin. I ordered another bottle as I need to print a few parts. And will probably print some tires as well soon. I'll print all the other parts first as cleaning the VAT is so much more easy than with the Flex resins...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I really only use my resin printer for miniatures for my daughter and detailed aesthetic parts very rarely .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:25 pm I really only use my resin printer for miniatures for my daughter and detailed aesthetic parts very rarely .
Well, I do have some driver figure heads missing for the Super Wheelie, and thought it could be a good idea to print two driver figures to put them there temporarily. (that definitely enters in the detailed easthetic parts).. And there is also the Hunter 1/20 on which I was intending to do a test print of the chassis to see what was requiring rework. But since the resin is too hold, this will be for later...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

As i'm trying to complete my Super Wheelies, I decided to use the resin printer to deal with part of the work...

Yesterday, I put a jerrycan and a driver figure (the same scan as I used earlier) in chitubox, set supports and sliced for Siraya tech Fast Navy grey...
I launched the print within the afternoon...

Yesterday, when going to bed I noticed that the driver side was off the bed... The Jerrycan was not finished so I let the print continue...

This morning, the printer was still working. The jerrycan is done, and the driver figure was still ongoing, very surprisingly...

I washed and cure the jerrycan and here is the result:

Beside this, a Revopoint Pop3 arrived yesteday. I checked quickly it works, I can see the potential, but I'll have to learn how to use it, and it may require some time... My first target is to be able to produce a proper printable file set for the SUper Wheelie driver. We'll see how it goes...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I played a bit with the scanner and the application...

Here is the result so far...

Few elements I can already note thru this exercice :
- the helmet is very difficult to scan completely, as when you turn around, form tracking is getting diffiicult as the surface is quite uniform (may be tracing a few lines on the helmet could help)
- the face seems quite easy to get properly
- moving around with the scanner is difficult while keeping the helmet in the scan area and avoid loosing tracking. I'll have to try with the turn table...

I believe I need to design and print a support with markers to hold the head on the turn table at a height which ease the scan : put directly on the turn table, it is going to be difficult to get the whole area inside the head...
So more work, but first result are quite encouraging...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Quickly designed a support to see if it helps...

I expect the spokes of the wheel to help the tracking. I will print this part in 3 different colors (White, Red, Black) to see how it helps....