Best Liquid Mask product?

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Best Liquid Mask product?

Post by Coelacanth »

A few comments based on my own experiences, trial & error...

-Don't buy an HVLP gun unless you have a hefty air compressor. Those guns need a LOT of air volume to atomize paint properly, and pancake compressors are far too weak. For better results, buy an LVLP gun, which are pretty similar except they will function much better with smaller compressors. I had no end of problems with my paint projects, terrible orange peel with paint and clearcoats using a few different HVLP guns and a pancake compressor until I discovered this.

-I use FasMask, I think it works as good as any liquid mask. Make sure you brush on at least 3 coats though, or it'll be too thin and a righteous pain to peel off; it'll only come off in tiny bits at a time.

-I still use tape masks for various things, including straight lines...the only tape I've found that works really well without paint bleed is Tamiya's yellow masking tapes, that come in various widths. Expensive but works better than 3M Fine Line tape (the blue stuff) or any other masking tape I've tried. The Tamiya tape is thinner and can be curved or bent a bit better, or simply cut your lines into it with an X-Acto knife.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I use a pancake compressor for my mini hvlp and have had zero problems with the liquid mask. You spray several light coats letting each coat dry between so it has no problem keeping up.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:40 pm A few comments based on my own experiences, trial & error...

-Don't buy an HVLP gun unless you have a hefty air compressor. Those guns need a LOT of air volume to atomize paint properly, and pancake compressors are far too weak. For better results, buy an LVLP gun, which are pretty similar except they will function much better with smaller compressors. I had no end of problems with my paint projects, terrible orange peel with paint and clearcoats using a few different HVLP guns and a pancake compressor until I discovered this.

-I use FasMask, I think it works as good as any liquid mask. Make sure you brush on at least 3 coats though, or it'll be too thin and a righteous pain to peel off; it'll only come off in tiny bits at a time.

-I still use tape masks for various things, including straight lines...the only tape I've found that works really well without paint bleed is Tamiya's yellow masking tapes, that come in various widths. Expensive but works better than 3M Fine Line tape (the blue stuff) or any other masking tape I've tried. The Tamiya tape is thinner and can be curved or bent a bit better, or simply cut your lines into it with an X-Acto knife.
Thanks so much for the detail! I did get the chance to use the Tamiya masking tape just recently, it came with the Bus body for the window masks, it is very tacky and stays put.

Good to know Fasmask works well also.

I got my Proline Liquid Mask today:

Have to decide whether to brush it on, or get the HVLP mini.

I do have access to a large compressor, but I was hoping I could buy just a nice airbrush set, and be able to do both the liquid mask, and RC body paint with just the airbrush. Sounds like if I want to do it right, I need both the HVLP mini, and an airbrush set.

What are your guys favorite paints to use with RC body, and airbrush?

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Liquid mask won't spray well through an airbrush. You are better off brushing it or spraying with mini hvlp. I bought my mini hvlp at harbor freight for 40.00 I believe. The one they have that is around 15.00 is junk.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

mikea96 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:30 am Liquid mask won't spray well through an airbrush. You are better off brushing it or spraying with mini hvlp. I bought my mini hvlp at harbor freight for 40.00 I believe. The one they have that is around 15.00 is junk.
Understood, thanks! Who makes the best paints for airbrush?

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I don't know who has the best but I really like the proline paint. I just scuff the body first before painting since it is water based paint to help with adhesion. I know Createx make a spray on adhesion promoter but I have not tried it.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

mikea96 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:25 pm I don't know who has the best but I really like the proline paint. I just scuff the body first before painting since it is water based paint to help with adhesion. I know Createx make a spray on adhesion promoter but I have not tried it.
Thanks!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

mikea96 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:37 pm I use a pancake compressor for my mini hvlp and have had zero problems with the liquid mask. You spray several light coats letting each coat dry between so it has no problem keeping up.
You would definitely notice issues spraying 2K clear and an HVLP gun with a pancake compressor...but fortunately we don't need to clearcoat our Lexan bodies because the Lexan is the clearcoat. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3