RC10 Gold Pan - C stamp?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jcwrks
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Gold Pan - C stamp?

Post by jcwrks »

WD40 also works well for removing sticky servo tape and other residue.

I would use the Rooster since it's still period correct. If you had an early 6 gear non-CE then I can see using a msc. By the mid 90's esc's were extremely common and affordable.
The official TX SKUNK

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

I’m going Rooster, that’s what’s going in mine as well.
Oh and install bearings while you got it torn down if it doesn’t already have them. This way it’ll roll nicely on the shelf 8)
You can use the bushings for what they’re good for….
Spacers for house projects :lol:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

If using the Rooster, I'd verify body clearance first. It is rather bulky compared to many other esc's. I typically use them in trucks.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

jcwrks wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:55 pm WD40 also works well for removing sticky servo tape and other residue.

I would use the Rooster since it's still period correct. If you had an early 6 gear non-CE then I can see using a msc. By the mid 90's esc's were extremely common and affordable.
That's what keeps going through my mind too, it's last version they made, might as well lean in to it . :D Thanks for the vote!
MarkyDents wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:16 pm I’m going Rooster, that’s what’s going in mine as well.
Oh and install bearings while you got it torn down if it doesn’t already have them. This way it’ll roll nicely on the shelf 8)
You can use the bushings for what they’re good for….
Spacers for house projects :lol:
I know there are bearings in the front wheels, definitely saw those already, and I probably put every bearing you could fit in it. You could always count on Chester, "Harry Chet" Wold, of Wold's House of Hobby's, to keep you apprised of the latest upgrades, he would up sell with the subtlety of a certain Tolkein wizard. The man had four names on his Business card, still have it somewhere :lol: .

I'll pull the Stealth and take a peek for the bearings.

And thanks for the ESC vote! Also looking forward to seeing your thread, do you have one?

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:45 pm If using the Rooster, I'd verify body clearance first. It is rather bulky compared to many other esc's. I typically use them in trucks.
Excellent call, will do. I never mounted the body, so I should have some wiggle room to improvise if need be.

I would love to paint the body, but if I'm 100% honest and blunt, the box art for my late black Stealth CE, is ugly and not Edinger level. This makes me want to shelve it unpainted, to appreciate the vintage gold pan transparent look. Not sold on that idea entirely yet.

Thanks for looking out for the fundamentals, regarding fitment, but again, I have a #6011 kit, the #6014 of that same era and series, really their flagship kit, came with the Rooster ESC:

It should fit.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Let's see it with the bus body!
Self described chronic hobbyist

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Burniefloyd wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:42 pm Let's see it with the bus body!
:lol: Never thought I would hear that request, here, I figured most thought it was heresy or blasphemy to run an aftermarket body on an RC10.

Here's the last shots of the '63 Parma VW Surf Delivery Panel Bus on the RC10, that a friend custom masked the windows to make it a 21 window like my real Bus; this was from the late 90's:

This Bus body will be going on the shelf, or will be on the USA-1 Nitro Crusher on the left, the orange one, if it's not too goofy looking.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Getting things cleaned and ready. Lost my correct size socket for the SAE clutch slipper nut, so this is all I can do for tonight.

Was wrong about the Reedy Mr Outlaw motor, got the DS Spec:

Also wrong about the bearings, so far only the front wheels have bearings, the rear hubs are bushings, I assume the Stealth is also bushings in there.

I pulled what I had thought was a massive hairball out of my Stealth, turns out it was a felt pad that went between the Stealth and the gold frame. Those little tie rod felt discs all turned in to dust too.

What do people do about those felt parts these days?

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

GreenBar0n wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:42 am What do people do about those felt parts these days?
These are neoprene...

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48398
Hope you're doin' something fun.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Sorry no thread for that car yet from me. I’m really good at finding what I want, getting it, figuring out what I need for it, getting it and then not doing anything with it but look at it every now and then :lol:
You’ve made progress in a couple days with your car then I have with any of mine in a couple years :oops:
As for the lil foams that go on the ballstuds to stop dirt from getting into the ballcups, I wouldn’t worry about them. I’m pretty certain your not going to be blasting this car around a dirt yard or track after you go through all this trouble getting cleaned up and straightened out. For that matter it really doesn’t need the trans felt either. Totally up to you though of course. There are remakes of the felts on the bay. Back in the day there were aftermarket ones made out of a closed cell foam available. There are remakes of those as well.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:27 am
GreenBar0n wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:42 am What do people do about those felt parts these days?
These are neoprene...

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48398
I emailed the OP of that thread, didn't see any other way to get one. Have you used one of these?

Thanks!

MarkyDents wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:34 am Sorry no thread for that car yet from me. I’m really good at finding what I want, getting it, figuring out what I need for it, getting it and then not doing anything with it but look at it every now and then :lol:
You’ve made progress in a couple days with your car then I have with any of mine in a couple years :oops:
As for the lil foams that go on the ballstuds to stop dirt from getting into the ballcups, I wouldn’t worry about them. I’m pretty certain your not going to be blasting this car around a dirt yard or track after you go through all this trouble getting cleaned up and straightened out. For that matter it really doesn’t need the trans felt either. Totally up to you though of course. There are remakes of the felts on the bay. Back in the day there were aftermarket ones made out of a closed cell foam available. There are remakes of those as well.
Much thanks! You're right, this is going on the shelf, but I would like to have that peace of mind that everything is in order. I'll not worry about the tie rod foam/felt discs, but get the Stealth one though.

Thanks again, guys!

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

My 31st post, I'm an approved member officially, dark blue name status! Look out B/S/T :D .

I ended up finding another 1/4" SAE socket and got the Stealth apart, looks like new in there still:

I think I do want the bearings for the rear hubs and Stealth, I have the front wheel bearings only. Does anyone sell a bearing kit for the RC10 anymore, that's reputable?

Thanks!

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

GreenBar0n wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:10 pm As luck would have it, I have a large bottle of Naptha that I used for guitar necks/fretboard inlay repair.

Also worked incredibly well on that tape:

Switch tape too:

Thanks guys!
Nice! My workbench gets shared with guitar repair too.
-Brad

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

GreenBar0n wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:59 am I think I do want the bearings for the rear hubs and Stealth, I have the front wheel bearings only. Does anyone sell a bearing kit for the RC10 anymore, that's reputable?
Worlds and CE will use the same bearings. If you just want inexpensive Chinese bearings then Avid is very reputable. You can also buy the individual bearings.

https://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=849&kitname=RC10+Worlds+Car
The official TX SKUNK

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

BattleTrak wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:56 am Nice! My workbench gets shared with guitar repair too.
Right on! Been playing guitar longer than with RC cars :lol:
jcwrks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:56 am Worlds and CE will use the same bearings. If you just want inexpensive Chinese bearings then Avid is very reputable. You can also buy the individual bearings.

https://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=849&kitname=RC10+Worlds+Car
Thank you so much! Ordered the Avid kit. I never would've been able to get the right bearings for this otherwise, really appreciate it!