My CL 10T tribute build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Andybellus
Approved Member

My CL 10T tribute build

Post by Andybellus »

Like many of you I grew up drooling over the RCCA article of Cliff Letts Team Moo RC10t. I was fortunate enough to get a 10t in 92 as a kid but never the funds to duplicate that dream truck till now. 😃

I was browsing OfferUp awhile back and I was in the right place at the right time to score this gem and parts for 50$ Needless to say I was elated with the buy and it’s thoroughly sent me down the vintage RC rabbit hole.

The truck is mostly completed at this point but I wanted to document its build here and give back a little something to this site which has been invaluable with information for me.

I will continue to update this as my time permits but here it is in all its “glory” when I bought it..
Attachments
311679D0-7780-4D43-BB53-D22261EA9E44.jpeg

Frankentruck

Re: My CL 10T tribute build

Post by Frankentruck »

Team Moo trucks are always cool! Sounds like a great project.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

So when I showed up to get the truck the guy surprised me with a bunch of spare parts that he had as well as this cool old Stealth trans box 😳
Attachments
7D13B2D3-4849-4AE3-B887-198F1471B556.jpeg
BF01749F-B83A-47A8-BD58-2E0FB7ADEF4B.jpeg
DC803BF8-3852-462A-B2DA-585B1812B169.jpeg

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

So I started the teardown process to clean up what I had and identify parts that I needed as some were missing…

-Front bumper was missing
-Inner slipper clutch hub was missing
-Steering servo arms were both cracked and needed replacement
-Tie rods were all rusty, one was broken and need replacing

Little simple green and warm water did wonders… Then I read about the peroxide process here and did that as well. This Pic doesn’t do them justice, they came out like new!
Attachments
D5D0CE0B-8178-4F99-A30C-CB7F20954B4C.jpeg

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

So I had my “shopping list” and went about paying way to much $$$ for those missing parts on eBay and other FB pages but I didn’t care I was building my childhood dream after all… This is where I started taking liberties as I wasn’t building a exact replica of Letts truck but what I wanted it to be today… I wanted it to be a runner and race it at a local backyard track “The Farm” which ironically I’d never been to and still have yet to go…

So over the next couple months I bought and stock piled a bunch of rad stuff for the build:

- The missing front bumper, dog bone and clutch hub
- Jconcepts steering setup, nose piece and 10T body
- Lunsford super duty 3.5 titanium tie rods
- VintageRC carbon towers F/R and rear brace
- RPM arms F/R, rear hubs, rod ends and gear cover
- Set of OG front skinnys and rear wheels/tires in great shape at a surprisingly good price compared to some of what I bought..ahahaha
- MCI decals
- KNK screw kit

Also during that time was researching PC colors so I could get the chassis done….. Boy was that an ordeal…

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

At this point I had most of the parts for the build I just needed the chassis PC’d that iconic fluorescent red…

After searching looked like there were two options that seemed close to the original color going by pics.
PPG fluorescent red and a shop out of Florida, APP that had a “Luminous Neon Red” that seemed more vibrant than the sample PPG I got, so I went that route…

Note: I bought the PC myself because the local PC shop I was going to use didn’t have this color and I could source quicker than they quoted and they adjusted price accordingly.

Anyway, dropped off the PC, chassis and two nose plates the off. Week goes by and I get the call there done! Get down there and the nose pieces were really lite colored and not a consistent color compared to the chassis. So I take the chassis and they will redo the nose pieces… Another week goes by and I get the call, they look better-ish so take em home and once I put them next to the chassis NO GO as you can see in the pic… they just coated over the first stuff they did so they were WAY too dark and weren’t even the same between the two..

So back I went again, another week and they matched the chassis and looked good enough for me… sorry no pics tho
Attachments
F95D6705-1A29-48FD-A8AF-5D6C8735DD2F.jpeg
D9F742D6-FCEF-4FEE-AE17-E1A965CEC987.jpeg
BCD3BF5C-1166-4608-BED3-1BCC542ED9B9.jpeg

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

Almost forgot about this… here is a pic of the nose piece and chassis finally matching..

Also found some more parts:
-Jconcepts motor plate
-T4 top shaft and VTS slipper
-Reedy Mr A’s motor
-Novak 410-M1c

And pics of how it sits currently. Still looking for a couple stickers and a Novak receiver but in no hurry as I’ve got several other projects going right now…
Attachments
EA829033-7BD1-4C4C-9027-DDA634AA96EF.jpeg
8A616205-7C5C-4EB6-B7A0-B0EC79A8AEC1.jpeg
89287379-12EE-4A9E-96BC-CD621BE2BADF.jpeg
86683A5A-005A-4936-B110-A0F7AE9614FD.jpeg
BDA3A694-9A8D-4514-9403-7853F556517E.jpeg
64013783-D925-440D-8E46-2430DA1D5C92.jpeg
CB251FF9-FFDA-4280-A6F6-5B810C34C1BE.jpeg
0CAFC686-0ADE-4597-90B1-56A4355B5334.jpeg

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

That came out really pretty. I like the mix of red white and carbon. Two thumbs up! 👍👍

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Great looking Lett truck! Such a classic. Something about the red chassis on a RC10T just looks so good. Great work!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Andybellus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:36 pm At this point I had most of the parts for the build I just needed the chassis PC’d that iconic fluorescent red…

After searching looked like there were two options that seemed close to the original color going by pics.
PPG fluorescent red and a shop out of Florida, APP that had a “Luminous Neon Red” that seemed more vibrant than the sample PPG I got, so I went that route…

Note: I bought the PC myself because the local PC shop I was going to use didn’t have this color and I could source quicker than they quoted and they adjusted price accordingly.

Anyway, dropped off the PC, chassis and two nose plates the off. Week goes by and I get the call there done! Get down there and the nose pieces were really lite colored and not a consistent color compared to the chassis. So I take the chassis and they will redo the nose pieces… Another week goes by and I get the call, they look better-ish so take em home and once I put them next to the chassis NO GO as you can see in the pic… they just coated over the first stuff they did so they were WAY too dark and weren’t even the same between the two..

So back I went again, another week and they matched the chassis and looked good enough for me… sorry no pics tho
Sorry for chiming in late but what was your PC cost? I'm in So Cal and want to get some older chassis rehabbed.

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

JosephS wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:28 pm
Andybellus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:36 pm At this point I had most of the parts for the build I just needed the chassis PC’d that iconic fluorescent red…

Sorry for chiming in late but what was your PC cost? I'm in So Cal and want to get some older chassis rehabbed.
Was a 100 minimum charge(seems most are around this cost) but I ended up sourcing the PC so they charged me 60… With all the hassle and issues with them getting it done/matching I’m not sure I’ll go back to them..

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Andybellus wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:09 pm
JosephS wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:28 pm

Was a 100 minimum charge(seems most are around this cost) but I ended up sourcing the PC so they charged me 60… With all the hassle and issues with them getting it done/matching I’m not sure I’ll go back to them..
Thanks for that. it's a good rough guide.

Andybellus
Approved Member

Post by Andybellus »

I’ve waited quite some time for this RCHR sticker…
It’s all that more sweet knowing I ran there as a kid bitd…😃

If anyone has a scan of or a sticker of the “USA” sticker I’m missing on the roof I’m VERY interested thx!
Attachments
1BE0118A-9C5D-4293-ABDB-7F3F8B38CD68.jpeg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Nice build !

I made one, it's not perfect but better than nothing...

20240425_103905.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !