The "My Current Version of My First Car" Thread

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

The "My Current Version of My First Car" Thread

Post by morrisey0 »

Based on GoMachV's current thread of his great recreation of his RC car, I thought it would be neat to have a place where people can show off their actual first cars if they still have them, or a vehicle that they have purchased or restored that is based on their first car/truck. Of course, having pics of your original rig is an awesome bonus! So, show your current version of your first RC car! And a little story telling doesn't hurt either! :D

My first car was a FX10. No pics of it exist as far as I know. When I was 12, my parents bought me a Nikko Dictator (or II, not sure). I broke it quickly, and they took it back to Toys R Us, and we headed to the LHS. Walked out with a FX10, a KO Propo radio (which I thought was ironic for a Futaba car), and a cheap battery and charger. I was "sick" the next morning, so got it built quick. Grabbed some white Rustoleum paint from the garage to finish the body up. Ran it around the yard for some time, and jerry-rigged a few fixes, and did get legit parts for other fixes. At the time, I thought GTP pan cars were the coolest things in RCCA, so I soon bought a body, and slapped some blue paint on it, and limited the "shocks" with fast food straws (I was 12). After that, it was just a driveway racer, and not a very good one! :D Like so many things of our youth, I have no idea what happened to it ultimately. I know I bought a well used RC10 when I was 14, so it may have just gotten stuffed in a box and then thrown out after that.

A while back, I did a full restore on multiple FX10s, and one was box art, just like my first car on the day I built it. Maybe if I come across enough FX10 parts for another build, I'll put one together with a blue GTP body on it and straws on the shocks. TBH, that would be pretty cool. :wink:
Attachments
FX101 F.JPG
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: The "My Current Version of My First Car" Thread

Post by Dadio »

Not a replica of my original but my modern reimagining of it , its been on BOTM , my Sand Rover.
20230609_090347.jpg
20230604_161104.jpg
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Well shoot, I never considered starting a thread for em. This is great as I'm not a big fan of the gallery. What fun is it to not have questions and answers.

Anyway, here is mine again since my gallery will never get bumped :mrgreen: :lol: The original featured AJ's rear foams and proline fronts, a Parma Grasshopper body with very custom 10-32 rear body posts, and a Futaba boat radio from my uncle. The servos were waterproof and large enough that they bulge out the chassis. I ran the car for months with the throttle reversed since this was before servo reversing and I didn't understand that the Tamiya speed control didn't care which was forward and which was reverse. There are a few minor differences with my 2023 build but hardly noticable. And no I'm not going to make the toe and camber like my OG pic :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screenshot_20230929_145709_Gallery.jpg
20230929_173246.jpg
Screenshot_20230929_145754_Gallery.jpg
20230929_171258.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:58 pm . I ran the car for months with the throttle reversed since this was before servo reversing and I didn't understand that the Tamiya speed control didn't care which was forward and which was reverse.
My second ESC was one way only and with my Acoms radio I had to pull the stick in reverse to go forward , I hadn't thought about that in a very long time .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:58 pm I ran the car for months with the throttle reversed since this was before servo reversing and I didn't understand that the Tamiya speed control didn't care which was forward and which was reverse.
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one. Not for months but it felt like forever.

My OCD wouldn't allow me to plug the red and black wires together (Kyosho). But I was able to configure the linkage crossways to correct it.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I run the original pics through my phone's remaster function. One of them cleaned up nicely.
Screenshot_20231001_110004_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231001_105850_Gallery.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's my original Kyosho Optima. It started out as a regular Optima. Me and a buddy who both worked at a LHS got into racing, he had a Turbo Optima. We bought a Kyosho Salute as a parts car (he wanted the body, I wanted the Turbo Optima upgrade parts), so I upgraded my Optima to a Turbo Optima. I then bought the Option House Gold Celebration chassis and completely rebuilt the car. It ended up getting modded (quite badly most would point out) to an onroad car with a '69 Charger body. I unfortunately don't have pics of that car with body, but the body looked fantastic, and hid all of this mess: :P

Way back when I dug it out of my nice silver-and-purple Kyosho RC car bag to set about rejuvenating the car, and the original reason I joined this forum so many years ago, I needed and received some great advice on restoring the car. Along the way, and LONG before vendors were re-releasing the Gold chassis components, I set about finding every gold upgrade part I could find and make my Optima look like it had the Midas Touch. I even found a gold-plated screw set from T-Works! Here it is with my original Zebra-painted body from the late 80's. This was way before the "Moo Cow" body paint job became a thing, for the record. 8) I still have a few more gold parts that I haven't installed yet, and need to take some updated pics, I just haven't been into RC lately--working on other hobbies like upgrading and painting Fender Stratocaster guitar clones.

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

morrisey0 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:45 pm Maybe if I come across enough FX10 parts for another build, I'll put one together with a blue GTP body on it and straws on the shocks. TBH, that would be pretty cool. :wink:
I think I may have run across my opportunity to do this!! I just got off the phone with an older gentlemen who has a FX10 on craigslist (remember craigslist???), and I should soon be in ownership of a NIB FX10! :shock: According to him, he has had this on CL since 2021, and he is asking just about what people are starting to ask for well used, unrestored versions. If this works out, I will build it and this one my "box art" car, and my current box art car may become my 12 yo version of my FX10. :D Literally can't stop smiling! Man I hope this works out..............
new fx10 1.jpg
new fx10 2.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:58 pm Anyway, here is mine again
You could have just asked and I would have sent you a black servo horn! :D