The ultimate Mini JRX2 thread

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: The ultimate Mini JRX2 thread

Post by JK Racing »

RogueIV wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:46 amI really need to ditch rattle cans, the inconsistency with them is killing me.
I was the same way until a painter told me to heat the cans. Bowl with hot water, drop the can in. Be careful, as it may actually be too warm to pick up. Evens the spray and reduces 'spitting' and clumps associated with rattle cans.

If you are already doing that and hate them, find a great painter :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

[/quote]

I really need to ditch rattle cans, the inconsistency with them is killing me. That and masking that decides to pull up on me mid painting is another thing that never fails to boil my blood.
[/quote]

Very timely post! Last night I ruined a truck body due to the inconsistency of rattle cans. :lol: I had a nice fade going and suddenly the can puked up large splotches of paint. Instead of blue slowly fading to red, I now have red and blue polka dots. :lol: Oh well. It is a runner and a racer, so the body will die a painful death in due course. :twisted:

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

JK Racing wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:58 pm
RogueIV wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:46 amI really need to ditch rattle cans, the inconsistency with them is killing me.
I was the same way until a painter told me to heat the cans. Bowl with hot water, drop the can in. Be careful, as it may actually be too warm to pick up. Evens the spray and reduces 'spitting' and clumps associated with rattle cans.

If you are already doing that and hate them, find a great painter :)
Yeah I do that. My main annoyance is spray patterns being bad and the sputtering that can happen randomly.
1911Colt wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:32 am
I really need to ditch rattle cans, the inconsistency with them is killing me. That and masking that decides to pull up on me mid painting is another thing that never fails to boil my blood.
[/quote]

Very timely post! Last night I ruined a truck body due to the inconsistency of rattle cans. :lol: I had a nice fade going and suddenly the can puked up large splotches of paint. Instead of blue slowly fading to red, I now have red and blue polka dots. :lol: Oh well. It is a runner and a racer, so the body will die a painful death in due course. :twisted:
[/quote]

Same here, translucent blue decided to start puttering all over the place and insult to injury one of the masks lifted and bled. Now I have to figure out how to strip the paint from the body.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I have stripped old paint of a Protech 2 body with brake fluid before.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Just finished up the Mini Nationals here at RC Madness and while I completely bombed my jrx2 and jrxt A mains i had a great time.

The mid motor JRX2 held up well and is starting to handle good. I realized that my modification to the rear hub actually shortened the rear track width. Despite that i got it to handle pretty well and have already printed out lower offset wheels to fix the width issue although I couldn't source tires to mount to them. I also found that flipping the front jrx2 wheels around brought the front track width to the maximum allowed width of the mini 1/16 buggy mod class During the first 2 qualifiers i noted that the rear inside wheel was lifting through the corners and oversteering. I swapped to Copper mini b front springs which fixed the issue I ended up taking 3rd in c main with it against a field of all Mini Bs. Ill write this off as a win considering I'm not the best driver and still held my own and didn't break it all weekend.

I fell in love with the Mini JR-XT. This thing handles the carpet and the jumps great and and very easy to drive. Earlier in the week i identified and issue with the ballcups on the steering being malformed. Replacing them with new ones resolved the issue and have had one pop off since.i took 1st in the first club race on Thursday but, sadly, some small mistakes kept me from landing a podium during the A main of the Nats. Only ended up 8th. Considering i was going up against people above my skill level it can't complain too much.

Stock jrx2 was pretty solid all weekend other than having issues with landing 1 particular jump onto a table top which haunted me all weekend. I should have tried tuning around it more. Ended up finishing 5th in the A. I need redemption. hopefully this is still a class next year.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Anyone tried Mini B Universals, yet? I gather they're too long, but wondering if a sleeve can be used to cut them down.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

RogueIV wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:40 pm Just finished up the Mini Nationals here at RC Madness and while I completely bombed my jrx2 and jrxt A mains i had a great time.

The mid motor JRX2 held up well and is starting to handle good. I realized that my modification to the rear hub actually shortened the rear track width. Despite that i got it to handle pretty well and have already printed out lower offset wheels to fix the width issue although I couldn't source tires to mount to them. I also found that flipping the front jrx2 wheels around brought the front track width to the maximum allowed width of the mini 1/16 buggy mod class During the first 2 qualifiers i noted that the rear inside wheel was lifting through the corners and oversteering. I swapped to Copper mini b front springs which fixed the issue I ended up taking 3rd in c main with it against a field of all Mini Bs. Ill write this off as a win considering I'm not the best driver and still held my own and didn't break it all weekend.

I fell in love with the Mini JR-XT. This thing handles the carpet and the jumps great and and very easy to drive. Earlier in the week i identified and issue with the ballcups on the steering being malformed. Replacing them with new ones resolved the issue and have had one pop off since.i took 1st in the first club race on Thursday but, sadly, some small mistakes kept me from landing a podium during the A main of the Nats. Only ended up 5th. Considering i was going up against people above my skill level it can't complain too much.

Stock jrx2 was pretty solid all weekend other than having issues with landing 1 particular jump onto a table top which haunted me all weekend. I should have tried tuning around it more. Ended up finishing 8th in the A. I need redemption. hopefully this is still a class next year.
Congrats on the placements RogueIV- really cool!
-limestang

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:56 pm
Next we'll all have to see who got the lowest number. Lol!
IMG_0755.jpeg

Kind of wishing now that they would have numbered the mini JRX2s as well :mrgreen:

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Aren't they just practicing on the first ones built, just to see if they can put together a good one later on? 😁
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

I just want to mention we had 2 full heats of JRXTs at the Nats. It was amazing!

Some video from the live feed over the weekend:

JRX2 A main https://youtu.be/aJ7DBvAiRnI?t=24720

JRXT A main https://youtu.be/aJ7DBvAiRnI?t=25972

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:02 am Anyone tried Mini B Universals, yet? I gather they're too long, but wondering if a sleeve can be used to cut them down.
Yes they're too long, The min drag car ones may work though, I'm waiting for my LHS to get some in for me to test though.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I was able to buy number 295.
20230322_220125.jpg

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Well the Flyin' Brick (Mini JRX2m) managed to [barely] TQ on Thursday, granted it was a light day on drivers for the Mini B mod class. I still blew it in the Main, but that was a ME problem. I'm pleasantly surprised on how well the resin printed stuff is holding up even after some ridiculous attempts to clear the Quad. The lower offset rear wheels to get my rear track width back to where it should be worked out well and have a cool translucent grey look. tried printing front but had some technical issues so just kept the flipped front wheels on. The zip tie trick on the rear links works pretty well in keeping my rear shocks from twisting the link and also reduces a bunch of slop.
IMG_20230408_155215272.jpg
IMG_20230408_155250416.jpg
Funny thing about the rears on Thursday is I tossed the tires on quickly the week prior to test fit but completely forgot to glue them and had to abandon the first heat. I also didn't have foams in them. I glued them on anyway and it actually seemed to work out quite well even without the foams. The car's handling is a lot more progressive now.

The JRXT continues to be a fun car to race in stock form and the class for it at RCM is pretty well packed, there is a lot of chaos in it though. and the front turnbuckles popping off is definitely a common issue among the field. In typical me fashion I TQ'd only to completely botch the Main again. Maybe 1 day I'll stop messing up hahah. (probably not). The Gurney flap I made out of an old buggy wing looks right at home.
IMG_20230408_155133305.jpg
I made slicks out of some worn out JRX2 tires mostly for my own amusement and tossed them on my Stock JRX2, kinda as a joke but turn out they work pretty good on the Black CRC carpet with traction compound. My car has always been kinda edgy on that track but with these it's more of a progressive feel, it still slides a bit but is predictable. Got stuffed in with the stock mini b class as there wasn't enough JRX2s to make a class at the start. It actually keeps up decently with the Bs. Not sure if I would have been faster with my regular set of tires, but I'll have to test a bit.
IMG_20230408_153108075.jpg

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

RogueIV wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:07 pm
The JRXT continues to be a fun car to race in stock form and the class for it at RCM is pretty well packed, there is a lot of chaos in it though. and the front turnbuckles popping off is definitely a common issue among the field. In typical me fashion I TQ'd only to completely botch the Main again. Maybe 1 day I'll stop messing up hahah. (probably not). The Gurney flap I made out of an old buggy wing looks right at home.
I remember turnbuckles popping off being an issue from the get go racing my full scale JRXT back in the day. The solution then were the old Rocket City Specialties' rod ends from the RC Plane section on the outers. Might still have them on my LXT since I haven't tried to rework it for modern wheels. Not sure how practical they would be on the Mini JRX.
614Uhi-5oZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nice touch on the spoiler! Those and the "Side dams" to keep debris out of the chassis were the only things I was wishing for on the finished model.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

I forgot to mention it but i actually did make some side damns out of a mini jrx2 body, i'll take pics of that when i get home