AE TF-10: An AE Top Fuel Hodge Podge

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

AE TF-10: An AE Top Fuel Hodge Podge

Post by morrisey0 »

Why be in the middle of one build when you can be in the middle of four? It eats up all that time you sit around waiting for parts, and paint to dry, etc.

My inspiration behind this one was thinking that I was an AE guy back in the '90s and I had a local shop / track where I raced dirt and oval (multiple scales). But, as was the times, the track closed. I turned to thinking how I could recycle a car and multiple parts into a vehicle that I could run without a track. So, I decided to build a dragster out of what AE parts I had sitting around. Sidenote: Flashforward 20 years or so and a similar guy did the similar thing with a Slash, and he created a whole genre!

One point here was to use only AE 90s parts if possible. Obviously the chassis will be new and custom, but try to keep as mush as possible AE parts.

So, I started with a RC10LS. These things come to me like a moth to flame for some reason. I own six RC10L variants, and five of them are small rear pod / twin front arm variants, and none of them are fiberglass. So, a RC10LS was the donor with the intent of only using parts from it, and really just "limo'ing" the chassis to stretch it out.
TF10 START 1.jpg
TF10 START 2.jpg
TF10 START 3.jpg

The plan was to go to a ~24" WB top fuel dragster. RJspeed still produces a cheap kit around this spec, so figured it was safe to hang around there, and would have a readily available body. RJspeed uses a main bottom plate with a vertical "backbone" along its length for rigidity, but I thought that was kinda a big waste of space. I decided to go with a dual deck chassis design, and use most of the space of the chassis for battery placement. This allows for some weight dispersement, and doesn't limit me to sticking a pack in the only place it will fit. The two chassis plates actually clamp down to the batteries, so the batteries become part of the structural support to a degree.

First plan was to mock it up and print it out. Literally had to print each plate out in three pieces as I can only print about 8" long.
tf10 build 1.jpg

Had to make a couple of changes to the original mockup along the way, but overall it stayed the same. Worst part was that I used 3000mah batts for mockup thinking subc was subc, but when I got the final 5000mah batts in, they were larger, so last minute design changes had to happen. But when close enough to happy, designs went off to Jeff a couple or few times because of errors on my part, but waalaa, real chassis parts arrive.
TF10 BUILD 2.jpg

With the build starting, I had to move away from strictly RC10LS. The front wheels changed to 12L, which will be narrowed by nearly half soon. The rear 10LS wheels are awesome as they are at about 2" / 50mm wide. The front suspension had to be changed to standard 10L for space sake, and the fancy 10LS movement wasn't really needed. Steering turned into RC10 half bellcrank system run off a micro servo to keep things tight. Not 100% on this one, but so far it works. I did print one part, and that is the shock mount because although it is effectively the same design as stock, I wanted more screw holes for chassis rigidity so it is widened some and has more holes. The rear pod plate shown is not the final one, as that one is on the way, as again I screwed up the design. :( The intent is to mount the ESC on top of the rear pod and just have that guy out there in the breeze. This is all really just mockup still, as once it is all figured out, everything will be torn down and built up properly.
TF10 BUILD 3.jpg
TF10 BUILD 4.jpg
TF10 BUILD 5.jpg

Next is figuring out the muscle end of it, which I have no idea about. I have a Zeta drag ESC and it can handle up to 20 cells. :shock: I have a cheap Reedy 15T to start with, and figure I will just figure it out from there. The chassis is designed around 11 cells, but more can be added if needed. :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Re: AE TF-10: An AE Top Fuel Hodge Podge

Post by Frankentruck »

You need a 100,000rpm Black Magic Voodoo motor.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

On 20 cells, that cheap Radon will probably do 100K (for a few seconds).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 pm On 20 cells, that cheap Radon will probably do 100K (for a few seconds).
With any luck, that is about twice as many seconds as I need! :mrgreen:
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Finally had a little time to break down the dragster and get the parts hydrated and whitened. Next project will be making up the battery, which I am really not looking forward to. :?
Attachments
TF10 BUILD 6.jpg
TF10 BUILD 7.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:50 pm Next project will be making up the battery, which I am really not looking forward to. :?
It isn't too bad.

Use a Dremel flapper wheel to scuff the ends of the batteries before tinning them and use a wide chisel tip in the iron.

Personally, I'd use 14 or 16 gauge silicone wire for the connections.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:18 pm
Use a Dremel flapper wheel to scuff the ends of the batteries before tinning
Brilliant! I wish this website was here 30 years ago. :lol: I always used an Xacto to make slashes, then rotate and repeat. Took forever just to prep a single 6 cell pack. :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Similar, I just use a dremel sanding drum, doesn't take much.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

The batteries I got had tabs installed, so I just used those for the most part. Couple of issues here and there, but it worked out well enough. I think I can safely say that this configuration of batteries has never been done before. Next problem is that the heat shrink I put on in place of the wrappers was so much thicker that the batteries are now ~1.5 thicker than they were, which doesn't sound like much, but it screws up a pretty long list of tolerances since the the chassis plates are designed to clamp down the batteries. I think I got most of it figured out, and have a new shock mount printing now, so hopefully it works out without major modifications. Just piss poor prior planning.
Attachments
TF 10 BATT PACK 1.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Have made a little progress lately, and although it has been a bit of two steps forward, one step back, I am good with it right now. :)

The front wheels came out actually better than expected. I had pulled aside a new set of 12L wheels, but remembered how well old AE nylon hydrates, cleans up, and whitens, and my old wheels did just that! Came out like new. The front suspension / steering is done at this point. The only real issue is that the suspension is mounted to the bottom plate, and the steering is mounted to the top, so for a separation of the two, I have to loosen and slide out the tie rods. Simple enough though.

The rear end of the car has just been mounting, and rethinking, and then remounting the electronics. I originally had a Rx pack in there, but remembered I had a leftover CC external BEC from my crawling days leftover, so it go added. I also ended up with a high voltage switch and a low voltage switch, so I waited on getting a DPST switch so I could simplify that matter with one. I think the ESC wiring cleaned up pretty well with the Rx pack going away. I still need to remove the motor again and reverse the tab wiring for fitment and add caps, but I have have enough soldering for one evening. The Anderson Power Poles came on the ESC, so I have just decided to run with them throughout, and I have to say that I like them very much so far.

More good news is that the battery pack is in the smart charger, and actually charging. No beeps, blinking lights, or alarms to tell me I screwed up making it. :wink:

Hopefully will get into testing the electronics in the next day or two, and then move on to the body and wing.
Attachments
TF10 BUILD 12.jpg
TF10 BUILD 8.jpg
TF10 BUILD 9.jpg
TF10 BUILD 10.jpg
TF10 BUILD 11.jpg

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

This is so badass great job bud.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Thanks Kid!

She is officially mechanically complete! Even put power on it and everything held it's smoke in! The Zeta ESC programming is pretty cool with all kinds of adjustability. Got the rear wing on which is a AE 7" wing, and the posts are AE also I think, 10LSS maybe? They saved a lot of time over trying to make posts out of wire, because the mounting holes on top of the rear pod are asymmetrical in two directions.

Next up is the body, which the body itself will be easy, but I am planning out a little something for the fake V8. I don't like the top end of motor made of lexan look. I got lucky as the USPS crushed the first body I ordered, and amain just sent me a new one, so I have had a mock-up body this whole time that I can screw up without messing up the final one.
Attachments
TF10 BUILD 13.jpg
TF10 BUILD 14.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Got the powerplant made up. It is definitely not a "scaler" engine, but passes fine from 2' away. And certainly looks better than the molded lexan stock engine. Even when painted correctly, it doesn't look that good, and I can't paint detail like that at all.
Attachments
TF10 BUILD 18.jpg

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

I think it looks great bud gives me motivation to get mine painted
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Finally trying to warp this one up. Don't know about the graphics, but I won't worry with it now. Time to move on to other things. I still haven't driven it on the ground yet though ....................
Attachments
TF10 DONE 1.jpg
TF10 DONE 2.jpg
TF10 DONE 3.jpg