JRX2 Parts on Shapeways

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

WriteDean
Approved Member

JRX2 Parts on Shapeways

Post by WriteDean »

Hi All,
Going to rebuild/restore a JRX2 (was inspired by the Mini that was just released). Has anyone used Shapeways? How are their 3D printed parts?

Thanks a bunch,
Dean

juicedcoupe

Re: JRX2 Parts on Shapeways

Post by juicedcoupe »

I have several. The fit is only as good as the designer made them. Some fit like originals, others require some fitting.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I've got a Shapeways shop myself , the plastic is on par with vintage parts for strength , not as good as modern carbon plastics , as above it really depends on the designer of the part , it works like this , I design a part and personally I home 3d print everything to be sure it's right , then I upload the CAD file to Shapeways , they put in their catalogue , the customer orders it , Shapeways print and post it and I get a comission payment . At no point do Shapeways check the part fits or does what it's intended to do , that's down to the designer .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

A part that was made to be injection molded will rarely produce a good strong 3D print part. If you are having parts printed for shelf duty you might look at resin prints. The quality is amazing. For strong parts that can be used, you will likely find the parts made thicker and bulkier all around.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

Shapeways parts are high quality but can get expensive pretty quickly. I haven’t tried any for the Jrx2 because I have wanted to keep those cars original. There are still a lot of common Jrx2 parts out there for restorations without resorting to 3d printed parts.
-Brad

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

BattleTrak wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:42 pm Shapeways parts are high quality but can get expensive pretty quickly. I haven’t tried any for the Jrx2 because I have wanted to keep those cars original. There are still a lot of common Jrx2 parts out there for restorations without resorting to 3d printed parts.
Not for long , with the 1/16 re re it's going to prompt a surge of interest in the full size car , parts are going to vanish as interest grows .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

Dadio wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:03 am
Not for long , with the 1/16 re re it's going to prompt a surge of interest in the full size car , parts are going to vanish as interest grows .
Yes..you do have a good point there. It is nice being able to find parts in 3D when not available elsewhere.
-Brad

WriteDean
Approved Member

Post by WriteDean »

Thanks, everyone. It’s gonna be a shelf car. The item I’m considering are original type shock collars and the original battery box.

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

WriteDean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:48 am Thanks, everyone. It’s gonna be a shelf car. The item I’m considering are original type shock collars and the original battery box.
Those are probably the two hardest parts to find originaI. I won’t mention how much I paid for a NIP battery box.. It’s a beautiful buggy when done though!

-Brad

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

WriteDean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:48 am Thanks, everyone. It’s gonna be a shelf car. The item I’m considering are original type shock collars and the original battery box.
Those are fairly simple designs that would be hard to screw up too far , I'd probably trust they would work .

WriteDean
Approved Member

Post by WriteDean »

BattleTrak wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:32 am
Those are probably the two hardest parts to find originaI. I won’t mention how much I paid for a NIP battery box.. It’s a beautiful buggy when done though!

[img] https://i.postimg.cc/fL3W15D5/D32-FB547-B56-D-4-A90-B759-5-DD8-DC176-B7-A.jpg[/img
That looks amazing!