Traxxas Sledgehammer Refresh

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Traxxas Sledgehammer Refresh

Post by morrisey0 »

I picked up this Sledgehammer a while back, and it has finally ended up in the work queue. Bought it form the original owner who lived a couple of hours away. I could tell he loved the truck, and it came with a tackle box full of spares, and I could tell he really cared for this thing. Was not surprised that after cleaning it up a bit, it was in great shape. So far, mechanically, the only issue has been a single fractured rod end. Literally, not a single other mechanical issue. The only other purchased parts have been mechanical replaced for aesthetic reasons, body, tires, screw set, bearings, and electronics. Oh, and shocks, but that wasn't the trucks fault. :roll:
SH PRE 1.jpg
SH PRE 2.jpg
SH PRE 3.jpg
SH PRE 4.jpg
Started the build as usual. Starting with a breakdown and keeping parts organized.
SH BUILD 1.jpg
SH BUILD 2.jpg
Then plastic / nylon parts are placed in bags filled with water and dawn. This rehydrates and starts breaking down the gunk.
SH BUILD 3.jpg
Wheels had been painted as some point in time, so they went into brake fluid.
SH BUILD 4.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Re: Traxxas Sledgehammer Refresh

Post by morrisey0 »

For the existing electronics, the 2013 servo had a lot of play in it, so it needed help. I did some looking around, and the current Traxxas standard 2018 servo looks almost identical to the 2013, so I just cheated and swapped stickers between the two. I didn't notice until I started putting it together that the only part of the servo that you actually see is the bottom, and the newer servo has a no recycling stamp on the bottom. The old one would obviously have not had this, but oh well. The 2001-R Rx had a cut antenna so I went into it to see what it would take to replace, and found it rusted out pretty bad. I couldn't find another, but the more modern 2019 is readily available ...... and is the same case. So, easy case swap and I have a more modern 27mhz Rx.
SH BUILD 5.jpg
SH BUILD 6.jpg
SH BUILD 7.jpg
SH BUILD 8.jpg
Around this part of the process, I screwed up bad, and am still pissed off about it! :x I moved the bag of front or rear shock plastics "somewhere" and I removed a single shock body to see if I had tools that would completely disassemble it. I did and I sat that single body off to the side. Then when we got to the whitening process. the rest of those four bodies (with collars, stops, ends) were nowhere to be found! I have 4-6 hours of searching this house for those shocks, and nothing. I did, stupidly, have my trash can hanging out right in front of my work area at that time, and all I can come up with is that they ended up there, and I discovered this hours after trash pick up. Finding original white Sledgehammer shocks is pretty impossible I found out. Luckily, at least as of the 1997 Parts List, black aluminum 4760 shocks were listed as an optional part. These are readily available still, and are on the way. These won't be completely original out of the box, but I think them being an option is acceptable.

After days hydrating, white plastics went through a peroxide whitening process. The suspension arms reacted the best to this. The rest of the parts did pretty good, but not great. The diff case did not like it, and started chalking.
SH BUILD 9.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Then, after getting all parts cleaned up and whitened if needed, the build begins. The original SC did not exist in the truck, so I tracked down an XL-1 and found a NIP super awesome heat sink. The original tub was acceptable, but I found a new one for a price I couldn't pass on. New skid plates are front bumper are also included. It is pretty cool finding parts that would exist in 1989 still available, and some at your local hobby shop. The servo saver of course, the body washers, the motor heat sink, and shocks are all standard parts today. I am sure there are more, but these are all I looked into.
SH BUILD 10.jpg
SH BUILD 11.jpg
SH BUILD 12.jpg
SH BUILD 13.jpg
SH BUILD 14.jpg
SH BUILD 15.jpg
SH BUILD 16.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Oh, this is my #1 tip for anyone that wants to rebuild a Sledgehammer. Take lots and lots of pics, and measure your turnbuckles before disassembly! So far, I have found one online manual, and that is care of tamiyabase.com, and props to them for hosting it, but it is not very clear. I whipped through demo on this thing assuming a clear manual would be available, and I wish I had taken more time with it.

The TB manual has text and it is 80% clear, but there is a lot of "as shown."

This is typical of what is shown. Orientation of parts is nearly impossible to determine. All pics are just various shades of grey.

Oh, and the manual is based around a planetary diff, and mine is ball. And it lists the front suspension turnbuckles to be 92mm c-to-c, and you will find that is way too long.
Attachments
SH BUILD 17.jpg

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

sweet
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I am going to chalk up the losing of the shocks as a blessing in disguise! Because, although I think the cheap plastic white shocks are most true to an original build, they ultimately look cheap. The black shocks also make it look a little like a second version whereas mine is a first version and I want it to look that way. BUT, IMO, the black anodized shocks look so much better than the white plastic ones! And then the weird part is that I ordered four pairs of the black shocks, and two came with gold shafts, and two came with silver shafts. :? I was just happy that it wasn't 3 pair vs 1 pair, and now each corner has a gold and silver shock.

Mechanically about done outside of the body posts. I have some stock spring material I am going to cut to length for those. Then on to body and decals. Paint will be single one color job.
Attachments
SH BUILD 18.jpg
SH BUILD 19.jpg
SH BUILD 20.jpg
SH BUILD 21.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Pro tip #2: If your body post springs are in need of replacing because they have seen way too many rollovers or are rusting, this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LD2S71C?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 is all you need. Ignore the fact that the description calls them compression springs, these are expansion springs and are pretty much the exact dimensions of the originals (except for length if that was not clear). The originals are about 20.5mm at their tallest point, so just cut to length. I used snips to cut them long, and then a cut off wheel on a Dremel to make the final cut.
Attachments
SH BUILD 22.jpg
SH BUILD 23.jpg
SH BUILD 24.jpg

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Looking brand new ! Well worth the effort 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

That is one fantastic looking Sledgehammer here!!! great job!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Peter Gabriel would be proud !
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Managed to get a little time over the weekend on the final details. It is complete and operational with the original Traxxas radio that came with it.

Couple of small complaints on the TBG / MCI combo. The lexan is .03" nominal, but gets thinner in stretched parts. Behind the rear fender wells, the body is .19" with ~5 coats of paint on it. When trimming it, it was like cutting paper. I actually had to hold the lexan taut because it didn't have any strength on its own. And then the MCI decal set came with the "Hedman Hedders" sticker overlapping the main line decal. This is legitimately how it is scanned and printed. I appreciate what MCI does, and I will continue to be a customer of theirs, but something like this can be fixed in P'shop in minutes. I asm leaving the Hedders sticker on for now, but may trim it out in the future.

And my other complaint is about Traxxas themselves. This body is based off an '80s C/K10 (or some other '80s PU), so why does it have like a 1940s front bumper??? :D Back bumper looks correct, front bumper half a century off.

As with any and all of my bodies, if you see a decal that is straight, plumb, and in general looks placed correctly, that was just a happy accident. :mrgreen:
Attachments
SH DONE 7.jpg
SH DONE 6.jpg
SH DONE 5.jpg
SH DONE 4.jpg
SH DONE 3.jpg
SH DONE 2.jpg
SH DONE 1.jpg

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Wow! Looks great! Nice idea with the spring body posts. Traxxas sure used alot of nylon back then and still do. They cleaned up rather nicely.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 am And then the MCI decal set came with the "Hedman Hedders" sticker overlapping the main line decal. This is legitimately how it is scanned and printed. I appreciate what MCI does, and I will continue to be a customer of theirs, but something like this can be fixed in P'shop in minutes.
That might be how the original was. In that case, I could see trying to keep the original design.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:17 pm
morrisey0 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 am And then the MCI decal set came with the "Hedman Hedders" sticker overlapping the main line decal. This is legitimately how it is scanned and printed. I appreciate what MCI does, and I will continue to be a customer of theirs, but something like this can be fixed in P'shop in minutes.
That might be how the original was. In that case, I could see trying to keep the original design.
Definitely not original. I have never seen another SH with that Hedder sticker there.
Attachments
original decal sheet.jpg
original decal sheet.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
original decal sheet.jpg
original decal sheet.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 2289 times