A&L Ultima build(s)

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

alane
Approved Member

A&L Ultima build(s)

Post by alane »

This is my first project in the garage on the RC side. Looking through some random boxes I found 6-8 graphite A&L chassis and after looking around at other spare parts I found a Kyosho front bulkhead that matched the hole pattern on all of them, so I’m guessing Ultima. Someone correct me if I’m wrong! There was one unused chassis, but all the rest were runners. The plan is to build up two cars in parallel and play around with the runner for a bit.

The true start of this project for me was building a Lethal Weapon transmission, something I’ve been meaning to do for a while now. There are just so many small parts in the garage I had to start somewhere. I located new components form various boxes and bins, squinted real hard at the high-res 1990s instructions I found in the garage and went for it.

With that complete I started looking at the two chassis. For the new chassis, I gathered what new parts I had currently with me and threw it together. I need to see if there are some new front arms in the garage somewhere, the extra set I have don’t look great. I'm also not confident that's the correct front shock tower but the hole pattern lined up with the Kyosho bulkhead, so on it went.

I took some parts from a couple different runners and combined them into one. I’ll have to go back through and clean it all up later, I just wanted to consolidate what I had from the multiple chassis.

More to come in the coming weeks..

Frankentruck

Re: A&L Ultima build(s)

Post by Frankentruck »

This is actually the first Lethal Weapon transmission that I've seen the inside of. Thanks for doing a build thread with one. Looks like it will be a cool set of buggies.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Hey Adam, lookin good! The front tower is correct, and as far as arms go you are in luck- the recently rereleased ultima parts will bolt right up. Perfect for a runner. The arms you have on the second car are Ultima Pro XL which has not been rereleased and likely wont be.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:42 pm This is actually the first Lethal Weapon transmission that I've seen the inside of. Thanks for doing a build thread with one. Looks like it will be a cool set of buggies.
I've got a few more to do for other builds, I was thinking about doing an actual step by step of it. You haven't lived until you've tried to get the 3-48 locknut lined up inside the outdrive!

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

GoMachV wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:02 pm Hey Adam, lookin good! The front tower is correct, and as far as arms go you are in luck- the recently rereleased ultima parts will bolt right up. Perfect for a runner. The arms you have on the second car are Ultima Pro XL which has not been rereleased and likely wont be.
Pro XL would just have a wider front wheelbase? I think that was pretty common on Chris and my dad's race builds.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Best tranny ever! First time i see one apart too! Wow
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

When this gets entered in botm we're all toast!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

coxbros1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:23 pm When this gets entered in botm we're all toast!
Lol we'll see, some of the builds on here are pure perfection! I think I'll need to clean up the 6 wheeler and submit that on behalf of my pops first.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

alane wrote:
Pro XL would just have a wider front wheelbase? I think that was pretty common on Chris and my dad's race builds.
Yes most of the ones I have seen were using the XL arms but they can be tricky to find
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

I got to work on the cars a little more this weekend and after looking a bit more at the Pro XL arms I have they were in pretty good shape, just dirty. I cleaned them up and stuck them on the new chassis with Ti buckles for now. I’ve got another special build that will need a set of these arms so I’ll have to dig a little and see if there’s another set somewhere. I also played around with the anodized washers a bit, still not totally decided on the color combo for that.

The rear bulkhead is a little rough on this car so I’ve got a new one on the way. For the runner I bought some regular Ultima arms and stuck a rebuilt lethal weapon trans on it. I need to get back up to my parents house to get some steering stuff, Kyosho shocks, and finish the trailing arms out. Progress is stuck for the time being.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

Wow that is so interesting looking. Great build so far !

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

This build is so amazing. The way that tranny looks is killer. The coloring is perfect. The fact thats its NOT an rc10 (sorry brian). U make sure u get it entered in BOTM before december. Clear shot to win BOTY!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

TheDiamondOne wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:51 pm This build is so amazing. The way that tranny looks is killer. The coloring is perfect. The fact thats its NOT an rc10 (sorry brian). U make sure u get it entered in BOTM before december. Clear shot to win BOTY!
Thank you!
I've got two bodies on the way from Penguin in UK, per Jeff's recommendation. One is an ultima pro, the other is a viper. I saw an Australian guy with a kyosho pro xl on youtube running a viper body and I couldn't resist. Not sure if it's blasphemous to you guys so that may end up on the runner lol.

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

New shock day. I had four front platinums but didn't see any rears so I went with the new golds that I had.

I'll get some proper pics later but here's a quick shot with the shocks and rear axles in. It's starting to look like a car 8)