So Cal member with RC in the blood

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

alane
Approved Member

So Cal member with RC in the blood

Post by alane »

I wanted to introduce myself to everyone. A couple of you already know who I am, and maybe remember my sisters and I running around M&M Raceway as a kids picking up little parts (some broken), packaging them with my dad’s equipment, and trying to sell them back to you.

I’m Daryl Lane’s son. Most of you know he lost his battle with Leukemia last year, and my family and I have appreciated all the kind words you’ve said and sent. Most of you also know he really loved helping people, here, and in other areas of his interest like the vintage BMW scene and the off-roading industry. I’ve gone through and showed my mom all the threads dedicated to him on multiple platforms and it’s meant so much to us, she had no idea the amount of people he reached on a personal level.

I see that he wasn’t very active on here for the last 4-5 years, mainly because of family, not health. My sister and her husband bought a ranch in the Tahoe area around that time and he could FINALLY let his inner cowboy out.. He bought a Stetson and all. Every year for the last 5 years we did at least one family 1-2 week "overland" camping trip, Baja, Death valley, and all over the eastern Sierra mountains. We have a lot of great memories as a family.

One memory I still have is growing up at the track. My mom was an RN, so that meant three days a week after school we were at the track. To this day the combination of cigarettes and wet dirt is an immediate memory trigger for me. I was too young to race at the time but when I was old enough, we stated racing on road together mainly because he was heavily into stock car and BTCC at the time. My first real car he got me was a Losi Street Weapon and at the time he ran a Yokomo YR-4, both of which are still in the garage. I never got to race off road with him besides the dirt oval track we made in the backyard which was still a blast. I had a few cars before the street weapon but I honestly don't remember what they were, I just know they were entry level since he knew I'd be breaking a lot of parts.

Once I turned 16 we switched to real cars and were racing autocross in a 1980 BMW 320iS that he got from my Uncle for $1. We did that together for about 15 years until we switched to camping which was more inclusive for the growing family.

Here I am today with little to no RC knowledge, and a garage of parts and cars to take care of for my mom. My plan is to build some, run some, keep some, and sell some. I’ll likely need a lot of help from y’all to figure out what’s what, so please be patient with me!

There will be plenty of car pics to come.

Adam

alane
Approved Member

Re: So Cal member with RC in the blood

Post by alane »

Some of the very first racing I've done

This was my dad's velodrome top speed car, he had a different one for the multi driver races.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Welcome , I didn't know your dad but lost mine recently too , there is a ton of knowledge here so just ask , it's a very friendly forum and we are all happy to help get these old cars back to their former glory .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Welcome to the boards. I have always admired your fathers contributions to the hobby, and was sorry to hear of his passing.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Welcome. I never got to know your father but he certainly had an outsized effect on RC. I certainly understand the desire to connect with family by sharing in their passions. Don't be afraid to be a beginner, ask all of the questions and we will do our best to help. Some things have changed, but I think you'll see that things RC will come back to you.

Do you have a project in mind to start?

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

Thank you!
JosephS wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:49 pm Do you have a project in mind to start?
I've got about 12 projects in mind? Ha, ya there are a couple things I'm looking to get going on soon. The first one up is an Ultima build that I just started because the parts were conveniently together in a box. I just made a thread on it to document the process and ask questions if they came up.

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

Hey Adam...what were you racing at the Hobby Shack parking lot races? Was it a Bolink Legend spec car? I remember you racing with us but can't remember what car...lol...

alane
Approved Member

Post by alane »

RPMfieldtester wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:16 pm Hey Adam...what were you racing at the Hobby Shack parking lot races? Was it a Bolink Legend spec car? I remember you racing with us but can't remember what car...lol...
Good memory, Dave! That was the first car my dad got me. I’ve got pictures of it somewhere. There was one car between that and the street weapon that I did a few races with. I don’t ever remember racing the Bolink at an event but it was a long time ago. I had a car with the Renault Espace F1 body that my dad made, I just can’t remember what it was.