Back into the scene!

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Back into the scene!

Post by USAPaulo »

Hi All,

I'm a Brit but I'm now living in Middle Georgia and having had a few Tamiya RC kits in my youth I recently decided to get back into the RC car scene for something to do. In the 80s I used to have a Grasshopper, Hornet and Fox (2wd was more hardcore in those days LOL!) but I always looked on enviously at the Kyosho crowd because they were WAY more expensive than my budget allowed in those days.

Anyway, turn the clock forward a few years and I figured it was time to have a crack at a Kyosho re re of the Turbo Optima, which Fed-Ex says is on its way to me...although I may not have the time to build it until Christmas. Really looking forward to getting started (I'm an engineer so I usually find the build as much fun as the driving!) but I will almost certainly be asking for some help, especially with suitable brushless motor, ESC, LiPo battery specs, etc as my dim and distant experience was all about brushed motors and rotary speed controllers!

This looks like a really informative and friendly forum so I'm looking forward to getting involved.

Cheers,

Paul

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Back into the scene!

Post by Dadio »

Hi Paul
Welcome to the forum, it's a very friendly forum, never seen a troll here. Like you I was strictly Tamiya in the 80's and now keenly filling my boots with everything else from way back when.

Gav
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

Thanks Gav,

It certainly seems like a genuinely enthusiastic and informative bunch from what I;lve read so far. Looking through everyone's builds has me spending a fortune in my head buying other kits that I wanted as a kid...man, I ran that Fox into the ground! Next time I'm back in the UK I'll check to see if it's my patent's cellar, rebuilding the old thing could be fun too.

Thanks again and hopefully I can get my knowledge up to speed enough to offer some advice rather than just seek it (I'm not sure anyone needs any mechanical speed controller set-up tips for a Hornet any more :lol: )

Cheers,

Paul

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

USAPaulo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:10 pm Thanks Gav,

It certainly seems like a genuinely enthusiastic and informative bunch from what I;lve read so far. Looking through everyone's builds has me spending a fortune in my head buying other kits that I wanted as a kid...man, I ran that Fox into the ground! Next time I'm back in the UK I'll check to see if it's my patent's cellar, rebuilding the old thing could be fun too.

Thanks again and hopefully I can get my knowledge up to speed enough to offer some advice rather than just seek it (I'm not sure anyone needs any mechanical speed controller set-up tips for a Hornet any more :lol: )

Cheers,

Paul
What is a fortune for a child is surprisingly only a bad idea for an adult. Welcome aboard. Tamiya kits are amazing since so many have stayed in production.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Patience is the key to not spending a fortune ! You can often find what you want straight away for an arm and a leg but if you just wait , look constantly then you find things at the right price , COVID has had a massive impact on prices as so many people wanted a project to occupy their time , now that's easing off I'm hoping the price comes down a bit on things :!:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

JosephS wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 pm
What is a fortune for a child is surprisingly only a bad idea for an adult. Welcome aboard. Tamiya kits are amazing since so many have stayed in production.
:lol: :lol:

Very true! I agree, looking at build videos brings back so many memories...my list of future potential builds is already a dozen cars long! ;-)

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

USAPaulo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:02 pm
JosephS wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 pm
:lol: :lol:

Very true! I agree, looking at build videos brings back so many memories...my list of future potential builds is already a dozen cars long! ;-)
I can't wait to see your build pics.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Dadio wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:44 am Patience is the key to not spending a fortune ! You can often find what you want straight away for an arm and a leg but if you just wait , look constantly then you find things at the right price , COVID has had a massive impact on prices as so many people wanted a project to occupy their time , now that's easing off I'm hoping the price comes down a bit on things :!:
I think it may be just as important to have a specific build thought out. It's easy to get parts that kind of fit the idea for a build,only to buy other ones for the 'real' build.

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

JosephS wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:13 am I can't wait to see your build pics.
I can't wait to have some time to build something!! Roll on Christmas! ;-)