RC10 B4 vs RB10

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10CE75
Approved Member

RC10 B4 vs RB10

Post by RC10CE75 »

I was just looking at Associated press release for the RB10. Is it me or does this look like a rehash of the RC10 B4 with updated electronics and a new body?

https://img2.associatedelectrics.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RB10/PressRelease_042921_90031-90032-RB10-RTR.pdf

jwscab

Re: RC10 B4 vs RB10

Post by jwscab »

yeah, pretty much a thunder-tigerized B4.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

Yep, it basically is an entry-level RTR 'B5 series' parts bin car with pieces pulled from various series, DR10, SR10, B/T/SC5[m], etc.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Am I thinking about this wrong? That actually sounds pretty good.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JosephS wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 pm Am I thinking about this wrong? That actually sounds pretty good.
I was thinking the same thing.

A modern buggy that will still fit my stick packs, without having to buy a beginner type car. That has been one of my biggest hang ups on modern stuff, having to buy batteries specifically for them.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

JosephS wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 pm Am I thinking about this wrong? That actually sounds pretty good.

No, not at all, I didn't mean it to come across that way if it did 8)

If you are not looking for the 'latest and greatest' to run on a modern high grip track then this is a great option. Plus there is plenty of part support for it.

juicedcoupe brings up a good point about stick packs as well, no need to buy shorty packs if you don't want to.

jwscab is right though, the B5 series drew a lot from the B4 platform, which is why it looks so similar.

One big item to note is that beginning with the B5 up through the current B6 series (even the RB10, SR10, DR10, SC10), these cars are metric M3 hardware, not 4-40 based imperial.

You will need metric tools to work on this, 1.5mm and 2.0mm drivers are a must have IMHO. It is a pain building with the cheap kit allen keys :lol: 5.5 and 7.0mm nut drivers are handy too, but not as necessary.

->Mark

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

double post :oops:

RC10CE75
Approved Member

Post by RC10CE75 »

It does sound good. That is what made me wonder about it. It could be an old school type car with tons of parts. Like somebody else said, a parts bin car will have parts for a while. I am wondering if the old B4 bodies will fit. Would be fun to have a somewhat modern car with and older look. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that something like this would be offered with all the other stuff Associated puts out now. I don't understand the NanoSport cars. Seem like something made by New Bright.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

duckhead wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:10 pm

No, not at all, I didn't mean it to come across that way if it did 8)

If you are not looking for the 'latest and greatest' to run on a modern high grip track then this is a great option. Plus there is plenty of part support for it.

juicedcoupe brings up a good point about stick packs as well, no need to buy shorty packs if you don't want to.

jwscab is right though, the B5 series drew a lot from the B4 platform, which is why it looks so similar.

One big item to note is that beginning with the B5 up through the current B6 series (even the RB10, SR10, DR10, SC10), these cars are metric M3 hardware, not 4-40 based imperial.

You will need metric tools to work on this, 1.5mm and 2.0mm drivers are a must have IMHO. It is a pain building with the cheap kit allen keys :lol: 5.5 and 7.0mm nut drivers are handy too, but not as necessary.

->Mark
So how much of the b4 wound up in the b5? One thing I was wondering and never proper asked. Did the switch from imperial to metric include gear pitch? So would a b5 top-shaft fit a b4 with new seats for bearings, or did they switch to the metric mod pitch? Are the axles 3/16 or 4.5/5 mm?

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RC10CE75 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:43 pm I don't understand the NanoSport cars. Seem like something made by New Bright.
Remember that Associated is just a sticker on a Thunder Tiger box. The Associated line is just another opportunity to add sales channels to their existing brands. Now the advantage of that could be for when an Associated designed car hits a mass market distribution. That makes spare parts plentiful places like Walmart order in truckloads.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

JosephS wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:25 pm So how much of the b4 wound up in the b5? One thing I was wondering and never proper asked. Did the switch from imperial to metric include gear pitch? So would a b5 top-shaft fit a b4 with new seats for bearings, or did they switch to the metric mod pitch? Are the axles 3/16 or 4.5/5 mm?
Hardly any parts carried over from the B4.2 to the B5, shocks and some transmission parts but if you look at the cars side by side you really see the similarities between the two.

Molds had to be remade to accommodate the transition from imperial to metric hardware and bearing sizes. The chassis was remade to accommodate the transition to LiPo packs which were mostly square, not stick or shorty (those came later).

I know the transmissions are the same ratio and tooth count but I cannot say for sure on the tooth pitch. However the shafts and outdrives are cut to fit metrics bearings. Interestingly enough some items like diff balls and thrust balls were imperial, 3/32 and 5/64 respectively.

It was a weird transition time for buggies in general as track compositions were changing as well. The B4.2 was rear motor, while the B4.2 Worlds used a +8 chassis, then later the B4.2 Centro kits came out which made the car mid motor to give it a slight advantage on blue groove and sugared high bite tracks. Then the B5 came out as a rear motor, soon to be follow by the B5M mid motor. Personally, I don't think the B5 really gave us much, it more enabled Team Associated to cut a bit of cost moving to metric hardware and bearings that could be readily sourced using their Chinese supply chain through Thunder Tiger.

RC10CE75
Approved Member

Post by RC10CE75 »

Remember that Associated is just a sticker on a Thunder Tiger box. The Associated line is just another opportunity to add sales channels to their existing brands. Now the advantage of that could be for when an Associated designed car hits a mass market distribution. That makes spare parts plentiful places like Walmart order in truckloads.
[/quote]

Good point, I just thought Thunder Tiger would try and keep the brand quality going and not cheapen it. Enduro is a good example. Market through Associated buy don't pollute the brand image. I don't understand some of the other vehicles they brought out under AE but the Nano are another level. I looked at them at the LHS and they are cheap plastic. I guess the way I look at it is you have/had a brand recognized for quality and you now have the cheaper Chinese brands imitating or straight up counterfeiting ( Tamiya Bruiser). Why not stick to what you are good at, provide quality replacement parts and keep you niche. Not put out cheap garbage that people are paying money for only to have them break and leave a bad taste in the buyer's mouth. The guy in the hobby store said it was a mistake to order them.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

JosephS wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:25 pm So how much of the b4 wound up in the b5? One thing I was wondering and never proper asked. Did the switch from imperial to metric include gear pitch? So would a b5 top-shaft fit a b4 with new seats for bearings, or did they switch to the metric mod pitch? Are the axles 3/16 or 4.5/5 mm?
Searching for a trans top shaft for the FT T4 build (transmission case # 9826). So I came across this post while doing a search on the SC10 / B4 / T4 transmission top shaft (part # 9601) and RB10 / DR10 / ProSC10 top shaft V2 (part # 91606). Can the #9601 top shaft be replaced with the V2 top shaft, obviously using 5x10x4mm bearings in lieu of the 3/16" x 3/8" x 1/8" bearings??? I looked at many blown-up pictures of both shafts and they appear to be nearly identical, besides the metric sized shaft vs imperial size shaft and of course the little ring molded into the V2 shaft that replaces the shaft spacer.
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:32 pm
Searching for a trans top shaft for the FT T4 build (transmission case # 9826). So I came across this post while doing a search on the SC10 / B4 / T4 transmission top shaft (part # 9601) and RB10 / DR10 / ProSC10 top shaft V2 (part # 91606). Can the #9601 top shaft be replaced with the V2 top shaft, obviously using 5x10x4mm bearings in lieu of the 3/16" x 3/8" x 1/8" bearings??? I looked at many blown-up pictures of both shafts and they appear to be nearly identical, besides the metric sized shaft vs imperial size shaft and of course the little ring molded into the V2 shaft that replaces the shaft spacer.
I'd probably use this instead.

https://www.avidrc.com/product/5/accessories/3506/Associated-Aluminum-Topshaft-B4-Stealth-AV10062-accessories.html
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I concur, thanks.
-Jerry-