Thinking about dyno's for brushed motors

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Thinking about dyno's for brushed motors

Post by Dadio »

When I was a lad I never had the money to spend on a Dyno and probably never saw the need at my level but now I find myself curious about them , I guess I'm trying to work out how curious in relation to cost !
I have an inductive loop digital amp clamp and a simple laser rpm meter is only about £10 and other than a power supply that's about all I need isn't it ?
Or do I need to spend £70- £100 on a purpose made one ?
Thoughts ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

coxbros1

Re: Thinking about dyno's for brushed motors

Post by coxbros1 »

following...also, Dadio are from?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I live in the sunny south of England :lol: near Guildford , 30 miles south of London .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Dadio wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:41 am I live in the sunny south of England :lol: near Guildford , 30 miles south of London .
Damn! so 007 your favorite movies?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Movies ? James lives next door ! Lovely chap just a pity about all the gunfire and cars screeching around at all times of the day and night , HRH Harry across the road is always complaining at the neighbourhood watch meetings but what can you do ?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Found my amp clamp today so I set up a test rig , volt meter , amp meter , ESC , servo tester and a battery .
The amp meter works to two decimal places and I forgot to zero it so its got a small reading at no throttle .
And this is at full throttle .
It seems to work , I need to make a jumper for the volt meter as the leads kept coming off as I adjusted the motor timing but otherwise I'm pretty pleased , I could add a rev meter and tidy it all up but so far this cost me zilch ! my favourite price :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I just bought this unit after seeing a bunch of YouTube vids, some of guys using them for RC motor RPM testing. It uses a laser to measure reflections from a piece of reflective tape you stick on whatever is rotating, and counts the revolutions. Looks pretty easy to use; I just got it yesterday so it'll be some time before I do some testing. I plan to epoxy something onto a spare motor pinion gear and attach a piece of the included reflective tape to it. I can then install that pinion gear on any motor to test the RPM.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QS13JLN

This of course only measures RPM, not amp draw or anything else, but all else being equal, if you feed different motors the same voltage from a charged battery, you'll know how they compare.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

That's the same one I was lookin at , let me know how it works .

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 am I just bought this unit after seeing a bunch of YouTube vids, some of guys using them for RC motor RPM testing. It uses a laser to measure reflections from a piece of reflective tape you stick on whatever is rotating, and counts the revolutions. Looks pretty easy to use; I just got it yesterday so it'll be some time before I do some testing. I plan to epoxy something onto a spare motor pinion gear and attach a piece of the included reflective tape to it. I can then install that pinion gear on any motor to test the RPM.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QS13JLN

This of course only measures RPM, not amp draw or anything else, but all else being equal, if you feed different motors the same voltage from a charged battery, you'll know how they compare.
Exactly what I've been looking for. Just ordered one myself.
-Jerry-

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

I have been using that rpm meter on my Le mans motors for awhile now. It works good but reads some odd #s sometimes as it jumps around...eventually showing actual rpm
Resized_Screenshot_20210218-081814_Chrome.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20210218-081840_Chrome.jpeg

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

coxbros1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 am I have been using that rpm meter on my Le mans motors for awhile now. It works good but reads some odd #s sometimes as it jumps around...eventually showing actual rpm
So I ordered that same rpm meter and also have a nice multimeter. What do I need to supply a specific voltage going to the motor being tested? I have a Hitec x2 charger, but I don't think that's what I'm needing.
-Jerry-

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Derek, I think you might consider adding something to your pinion gear to make the reflective spot separation a bit wider. That's my plan, anyway...like adding a big servo horn or piece of plastic or something to increase the diameter of rotation. The closer to the middle you get, the more likely the readings could become inaccurate. I saw one video where a guy used a spare RC car wheel, attaching the reflective spot to a spoke or the outside of the rim...that was also a good idea.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

I concur👍....my surface area is too small

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:03 pm
coxbros1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 am I have been using that rpm meter on my Le mans motors for awhile now. It works good but reads some odd #s sometimes as it jumps around...eventually showing actual rpm
So I ordered that same rpm meter and also have a nice multimeter. What do I need to supply a specific voltage going to the motor being tested? I have a Hitec x2 charger, but I don't think that's what I'm needing.
If u have a 12v power supply or 3s battery this item will work perfect to adjust precise voltage to the motor and voltmeter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-48V-2000W-10-50V-40A-DC-Brush-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/111851538617?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Dadio wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:11 am Found my amp clamp today so I set up a test rig , volt meter , amp meter , ESC , servo tester and a battery .
The amp meter works to two decimal places and I forgot to zero it so its got a small reading at no throttle .
I have a couple of these servo testers, the blue device shown in Dadio's pics. So, do you just connect the ESC receiver connector into this, turn on the ESC, and that lets you adjust the motor speed/voltage up to max? One YouTube vid had the guy showing this same blue servo tester while doing a dyno test. They're about $6 USD on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SIKAF-MALL-Digital-Consistency-Controler/dp/B06WVM46KB

I'm only really interested in knowing the RPM at max voltage, but don't want to simply direct-connect the motor to the battery...I'd prefer to ramp up the RPM gradually.