AYK RX3000

The place for all things AYK.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bakauata
Approved Member

AYK RX3000

Post by Bakauata »

Hi All.

I've come across this car for sale but I know nothing about it. I like the looks and simplicity of the 1/12 on-roaders, and I've been passing on an R/C12e which looks heavily used, and/or aged, and has a horribly painted body, all red, including all windows.

The car I've found now is a NIB AYK RX3000 Basic Kit which looks very nice. See photos below. And it's priced at two thirds of what they're asking for the RC12e.

It comes with a battery and motor.

I'm not sure how those tires have held up. I can't tell from the photos if they are rubber or foam (Actually, I've never had an on-road before).

I've searched around to see if there is any value in this car, or if I should save my money for something else, but there is very little information out there. All I've found is that it's likely from 1982, and a few descriptions of the components.

Well, if anyone can give a yea or nay on this I'd appreciate it.

AYK RX3000 Basic Kit.jpg
Chris

coxbros1

Re: AYK RX3000

Post by coxbros1 »

I think its cool
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It looks very nice , price wise its worth whatever your willing to pay I'm afraid .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

I'm afraid someone snatched it up...
Chris

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Got it! Or, got one, I should say.

The seller had mentioned in his original listing, that he had four kits and was willing to sell the lot for a discount. So I hung around hoping the first buyer didn't want them all, and sure enough, a couple of days later, a similar listing to the previous one showed up. This time I jumped on it!

C4142834_web.jpg

But there were surprises: The car body is not the same Porsche from the original listing, but a Ford Zakspeed Capri. I clicked on "buy now" so quickly I never noticed this was another model. Even though I would have preferred the Porsche, I'm fine with this one.

C4142851_web.jpg

Also, instead of the AYK GZ1200 motor that came with the first car, this one came with a Tamiya RS540SD Black motor + bracket. Again, I would have preferred the AYK, but this one is nice too (especially for the price).

C4142845_web.jpg

Here's some photos of the actual car:

C4142841_web.jpg
C4142850_web.jpg
C4142844_web.jpg
C4142838_web.jpg
C4142837_web.jpg

So, where are the other two cars? Apparently they're at the seller's son's ex-girlfriend's house, with little chance of being retrieved. Of course I offered to talk to her myself, but he didn't think it such a good idea. I was pretty emphatic I'd like to be first in line if the other cars do become available (and if he decides to sell his Tamiya Countach too).
Chris

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Without knowing what the actual price was, that still looks like an awesome pickup. Nothing like brand new.... :mrgreen:

If you have no real connection to it, I'd be listing that Tamiya motor and speed control on eBay as-is, new in box.... it's a new item, and should get a nice price on it's own! Good way to get $$$ back on the purchase price as well, for something that could be used, but would be out of place - a bit like wood screws in an RC kit, but not as drastic :wink: :roll:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

I’ve thought about it. If I go by similar sold items on eBay, I’d be making money on the deal. Even though I haven’t seen this exact model, the closest ones, NIB have been sold for $99.99. That’s more than I payed for the car and motor together ($70). Oh, the speed controler is part of the car kit btw.
Still, never sold a thing on eBay, and would need to figure out shipping costs, etc.

Thanks for tempting me though.
Chris

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Bakauata wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm ...Even though I haven’t seen this exact model, the closest ones, NIB have been sold for $99.99. That’s more than I payed for the car and motor together ($70)....
Well, if you only paid $70 for the kit, including the Tamiya boxed motor / motor mount and battery, then you did extremely well, considering one of these , seemingly unused but painted and with the upgrade rear axle, sold in Europe recently for over 200 Euros.... which is a fair chunk of change in any real currency.... 8)

Bakauata wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm ...Oh, the speed controler is part of the car kit btw...
Sorry, my mistake in wording.... mixed up the boxed motor and mount with some others that were sold back in the day that came with the mechanical speedie.... certainly, don't split the speed control from the chassis!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:53 pm with the upgrade rear axle
The axle upgrade is coincidentally for sale locally here, NIB, for around US$40. I had actually noticed it before this kit became available. No one seems interested. But it's over half what I payed for the car and I have been splurging on RC stuff lately. And what I really need is an engine (or two) for my Stinger and newly acquired Rampage...and a battery charger and some decent batteries. Oh! And two RC10 bodies. Did I mention bearings and tires? But I have a feeling that diff is going to be mine...sigh...
Chris

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Nice RX3000. Actually all AYK cars are nice. :D
There were two versions. Your car is the Basic version what seems without diff.
Then there was the RX3000 Expert which came with the typical AYK crown gear diff.
Really good buy, super cheap.

I personal could buy a RX3000 maybe two years ago but finally went with a EXL480 which is more or less the lightweight version of the RX3000.
But my favorite for the early AYK cars is the RX2000, love that red black golden look https://classicrc.wordpress.com/1-12/ayk/ayk-rx2000/

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Thanks. Yes I’ve been researching the 1/12 AYKs lately, and the RX2000 is definitely also my favorite. But the chances of coming across one are pretty slim.
The axle diff is available for sale locally also, but I haven’t gone for it yet.
I did, however, get my hands on the RX3000 Porsche 953 which I lost the first time it was up for sale. It seems the buyer changed his mind and listed it for sale again (with a price hike!). This one came with the AYK GZ1200R motor.

4639A918-D1B2-4897-815E-68618A958582.jpeg
8B9E04D3-BE8A-4BAA-B321-14376AFAD09F.jpeg
C51EACEA-9148-4DD7-8BF0-DD27E037B62A.jpeg

So now I have both models NIB: the Kremer Porsche 953 K3 and the Zakspeed Ford Capri Turbo.
I’ve been reading a little on the history of these cars and came across this great poster which I’d love to get a higher res version of. It would make a great backdrop for a shelf exhibit.
67463DBA-18BF-4200-8B4C-4F24C1CBFD25.jpeg
Chris
Chris

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

GZ1200R motor is very nice also :D
Love those early AYK motors.

mirrorman
Approved Member

Post by mirrorman »

Nice find.

I have the body and the motor , but not a matching chassis.

Nice to know at last what the Porsche body is from.