"Just a Slash" No Prep Drag Car

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

"Just a Slash" No Prep Drag Car

Post by Basher67 »

With No Prep rc drag racing growing rapidly here in southern Oregon, I decided to build my second attempt at a drag car build. I wanted sort of a "sleeper". Anyone looking to see what I'm running will, at first glance, see it's just another Traxxas Slash. I tried to add a few go-fast goodies to help motivate it down the track without looking like a $1500 carbon fiber custom. The transmission has all steel gears, sealed diff, and an Exotec slipper eliminator. Motor is currently a 6.5t to get the car dialed in, but will soon be getting a 4.5t. Esc is a Hobbywing XR10 Pro G2 Elite with a wifi programming module. All wiring is 10 gauge with a flashpack. Lundsford titanium turnbuckles, stainless hex head screws everywhere and Hot Racing steering rack are just a few other items that I upgraded to. Big thanks to Jeff at Factory Works (aka GoMachV) for getting the wheelie bar to me lightning fast and also designing this battery strap for me. Jeff's products are second to none and his customer service is fantastic. Body for this one will be another '66 Nova (my favorite, i can't help myself) that is in the paint booth as I type this. Hopefully it turns out good. I'll post more pics when it's done. I will be attending my first organized NPRC race this Sunday and I'm hoping to at least be competitive. 8)
Attachments
DSC01629.JPG
DSC01630.JPG
DSC01631.JPG
DSC01632.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: "Just a Slash" No Prep Drag Car

Post by GoMachV »

We had a friendly cash days race last Friday, a cash days down south (with the 503 crew) last Sunday, and a big one coming up next weekend. This series is a blast. Get in with the group and I guarantee you will have a great time. Our 360 group up here is a tight knit bunch that are like brothers. This no prep stuff has been just what the hobby needed.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I'd like to travel around and do a little racing once I get the car setup a bit. I heard it has become pretty big up there.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 pm I'd like to travel around and do a little racing once I get the car setup a bit. I heard it has become pretty big up there.
Get that thing dialed in come race in Las Vegas February 2021 8000$ pot

Just for reference to be competitive your car needs to be in the low 2's @ around 67-73mph
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Here's a pic of the paint job. Not my best work, but it will do. I've been trying my hand with liquid masking, but there is a learning curve. I loved the Rc10 gold pan paint color so much on my recent buggy build, that I decided to try it on the Nova body.
Attachments
DSC01643.JPG

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Wow that looks great
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

First actual organized NPRC race today. The car ran straight and consistent all day with no mishaps. I definitely saw the limits of a cheapo 6.5t motor in a 4 lb., 13 oz. car. After a gear change and playing with the timing, 2.7 seconds @ 51mph was all she was going to do. Launched well, didn't ride the wheelie bar and was rock solid stable on the top end. A new 4.5t motor will be installed before the next race, which should turn up the horsepower quite a bit. As it was, I went undefeated in the first round of eliminations and moved into the list racing. Ended the day undefeated in the #8 position on the top ten list. Most fun I've had with rc racing in a long time.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

That’s awesome. We went down to Salem Friday night for a cash days, our team took home the win which was nice plus Casey at NW Hobbies threw in $100 to the winner. My car didn’t make it out of the first round this time. We lunched the Maclan 5t right before the race started while we were testing and had to swap to a 4t revtech which had a lot more power, but we didn’t have time to do any tuning. Ugh. This is the second Maclan I have had to resolder. Kinda done with em.
Attachments
E1F3DB14-65D6-409E-9DE2-6D98D15AD258.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Wow. That thing really came apart on you. I'm looking at a couple different motors right now. Trinity and fantom are at the top of my list right now. Still need to do a little research on it. I wish reedy made a 4.5t.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I hate trinity not from a company standpoint but from a moral standpoint. Ernie is scum. The revtech is trinity and I feel dirty even running it lol. I hear great things about fantom and will probably pick one up. Also, Brood may be releasing a brushless lineup soon and I’ll hop right on em when they do.
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I hear you. I was also looking at an R1 Wurks motor. Over the last couple years they've proven to be good motors in the 17.5 class, but I haven't heard much about their low turn mod motors. The fantom would be my first choice i think, but availability could be an issue. The last trinity motors I bought were the monster mash forwad/reverse matched set for my clodbuster. :lol:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The guys around here like the r1 speed controls but I haven’t seen them run the motors. Lots of Rotor Ron modified motors, But honestly when you have a company like Fantom that practically taught Ron what he knows (or so they claim) it makes you wonder what he knows that the people making the motor don’t. We have a lot of diversity in motors- some castle 7700’s even and they run right with the others.

The new rules are out for next year and everyone has their panties in a wad over weight, tire sauce, and bodies. Ugh. The whole idea was to keep it simple- rubber tires, 2s, and make it to the finish line.
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Yeah, I hear about a different rule change coming about every week. Looks like the rules have been decided for the 2021 season. I agree, it needs to be kept simple. I was very careful when building my car to stay far inside the parameters of whats "acceptable". Heavy car, short wheelie bar, no big wing, no tire sauce, etc. When I drag somebody's ass, I don't want to hear any excuses or crying. :cry: :lol:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Oh see I enjoy the crying. As Smokey said “it didn’t say you couldn’t” :lol:
Attachments
B3BA886D-A705-4719-8267-71F6DF83F44F.jpeg
C4903F48-789B-4122-8C18-C97286F6DAF7.jpeg
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

lolol. nice