LXT Tire help needed

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldblue

LXT Tire help needed

Post by oldblue »

OK so I asked the guy (on phone as we are still on lockdown here in California) at my LHS- he said that the wheels I have are no longer made and tires are no longer avail- BUT if I wanted I should buy a new Traxxass or such- I said I believe that tires should be sold? NOPE was his response. I am sure that 2.2 tires ( 2.00 x 2.00) are available (proline trenchers?) will these fit? since my LHS is closed and is of no help I have to be sure so I don't have to pay a "restocking fee" if I have to return my "net" bought tires- I hope to get this old boy back on the road , it's been parked for 28 years and is just about ready to go - Thanks in Advance - Vic in So
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: LXT Tire help needed

Post by Lonestar »

Hey Vic,

that's a cool LXT you have here :) That paint job looks pretty awesome!

There's a reason why LHS have closed down: they are clueless... (don't get me starteed on the "buy traxxas instead")

Having said that, those exact Losi tires have long been unavailable, but 2.2 Truck tires are still available, of course (for instance here)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=2.2+truck+tires

Modern rims for the LXT are a bit of a tougher cookie to crack but it can be done. See here:
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=41686&p=469795

What i recommend is you buy a quart of Acetone, find a big glass jar, throw in a old rim (or a stone or anything else for that matter), pour the acetone in so that it doesn't fully submerge the thing at the bottom. Then delicately put your current LXT wheels (tires and all) so they rest on that thing at the bottom and don't touch the acetone. The acetone fumes will dissolve the glue after few days, you just pull out the tires and set them apart (they are still rare beasts, I'm sure they can sell on ebay or here for a few bucks) and you can reuse the rims for your newly purchased tires.

the LXT rocks. And your LHS sucks :lol:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

oldblue

Post by oldblue »

Thanks a bunch thats the tip I'm looking for- and you are so right about the LHS- I guess I shouldn't expect a kid to know about a truck that was around before he was born - but holy cow - even the old guy tried to sellme a "new" traxxas- I didn't want that- I have a TRX4 Sport for crawling- but yeah I better climb off my soap box- Thanks again for the help- Vic in So Cal

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

If you get stuck, we (Factory Works) still sell our own white replacement rear wheels. Sadly matching fronts are long gone, however the associated white fronts are also compatible and likely also easier to locate than the Losi's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303124684374
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

oldblue

Post by oldblue »

GoMach will either of these tires fit your wheels? if so I'll order some tonight and thanks AND they will fit my old losi? thanks again

https://www.activepowersports.com/duratrax-sidearm-st-2-2-tire-2-c5116/

https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline-trencher-t-2.2-all-terrain-truck-tires-2-m2-pro10121-00/p478941?v=469028

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

First off, don’t ever use active power sports :wink: . They are a drop shipper and most of the time they cannot get the items you want- then you are stuck trying to get a refund. Amain is awesome.

But yes, those are conventional 2.2 truck tires so they will fit your wheels- or ours. The problem you run into is that there are 2.2 crawler tires now too so make sure the tires you are looking at say 2.2 truck and if they list specs you want them right at 2” wide.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

therigliveson
Approved Member

Post by therigliveson »

I have an LXT on the way, not in front of me. For running sake, is there a off the shelf way to add 12mm hexes to update or is the wheel offset the main issue?
RC10, FX10, JRX2 PRO, Blackfoot, Bolink Eliminator...much more, probably too much. :lol:

oldblue

Post by oldblue »

Thanks for the quick reply I'm gonna order your wheels tonight - thanks

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

therigliveson wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:45 pm I have an LXT on the way, not in front of me. For running sake, is there a off the shelf way to add 12mm hexes to update or is the wheel offset the main issue?
anything can be done with axle and bearing swaps but 'going there' on an old vintage isnt the way to go imo, but offhand, losi axles are a different diameter than most .. theres plenty of losi rims out there .. i never personally owned an lxt but almost sure as rain xxt rims fit, and i didnt have much problems locating them ... parma and rpm made rims for them also ... and on an even less informed level because i have nothing to point you to exactly, various aftermarket suppliers made all sorts of wheel adapters from everything from foam 4 screw mounts to aluminum hexes im pretty sure .. locating them would likely be daunting ...

therigliveson
Approved Member

Post by therigliveson »

So my LXT showed up with wheels that were better than expected 3 out of 4 have the lexan covers. Also 2 new HPI Star wheels for the fronts unmounted so I followed the advice given here and picked up some new Factory Works rears. Great advice as always!
RC10, FX10, JRX2 PRO, Blackfoot, Bolink Eliminator...much more, probably too much. :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

mcdze wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 pm
therigliveson wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:45 pm I have an LXT on the way, not in front of me. For running sake, is there a off the shelf way to add 12mm hexes to update or is the wheel offset the main issue?
anything can be done with axle and bearing swaps but 'going there' on an old vintage isnt the way to go imo, but offhand, losi axles are a different diameter than most .. theres plenty of losi rims out there .. i never personally owned an lxt but almost sure as rain xxt rims fit, and i didnt have much problems locating them ... parma and rpm made rims for them also ... and on an even less informed level because i have nothing to point you to exactly, various aftermarket suppliers made all sorts of wheel adapters from everything from foam 4 screw mounts to aluminum hexes im pretty sure .. locating them would likely be daunting ...
yes. XXT and LXT both fit the same. Not that super easy to locate in super-good shape though. And most will be yellow, which can look funny on some paint schemes (hence why I was looking for white ones for mine...).
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

tuna.Rc
Approved Member

Post by tuna.Rc »

I have a LXT as well. I believe I have some extra good , original wheels and tires. I may even have new .