HPI Super F1

The place for all things HPI.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Re: HPI Super F1

Post by ChisaiKuso »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:HPI also made chassis parts from graphite without the CF pattern, which this looks like. Their FRP parts all are white on the edges.
That is interesting. I have never seen graphite F1 parts like you describe. Over the years I collected a bunch of NIP parts for these cars. The graphite parts all have a weave pattern in them. On the FRP parts I can see what you mean about the edges appearing to be somewhat white in color.
Something clever goes here...

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

So here is a fun one for you guys. I have discovered some rather unusual things about one of my F1 cars.
  • most of the graphite parts are thicker
  • there are four extra holes in the chassis that appear to be factory drilled
    • tiny hole at the very front of the nose
    • tiny hole in front of the shock mount holes
    • countersunk hole in front of the shock mount holes
    • countersunk hole to the right of where the antenna mount would normally be (possibly because there is no antenna mount on this car)
  • the servo mount holes are positioned farther forward (too far forward, in my opinion)
  • the rear wing mount holes are not centered (they are too far to the left and make the wing visibly closer to the left rear tire)
What craziness did I stumble upon now? An early production car? A pre-production car? A test mule? A mistake?

It is fun to speculate. What do you guys think?
Something clever goes here...

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

ChisaiKuso wrote:
EvolutionRevolution wrote:HPI also made chassis parts from graphite without the CF pattern, which this looks like. Their FRP parts all are white on the edges.
That is interesting. I have never seen graphite F1 parts like you describe. Over the years I collected a bunch of NIP parts for these cars. The graphite parts all have a weave pattern in them. On the FRP parts I can see what you mean about the edges appearing to be somewhat white in color.
They exist for the HPI RS-10. You have the FRP parts (white edges), regular CF chassis (pattern), and graphite (flat black/dark gray, like on a Trinity EV10; more expensive than regular CF). Then for the RS-4 they also have glittery graphite parts.

HPI also made a Tamiya F-103 chassis (that I have): 3.5 mm thick graphite (no weave pattern), milled to lighten it :shock:

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

ChisaiKuso wrote:
HPI sourced at least some of the chassis material for their cars from DA Graphite and it was flat black/Uni graphite. Do an eBay search for HPI DA and you'll see a couple of pieces in packages labeled DA Graphite on the header card.

Most of the F1 cars I've seen are weave-type carbon fiber but the RS10GO and RS12G pics you can find on the web are graphite.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Here's the HPI graphite F103 chassis in all its milled glory next to some other vintage F103 parts.
f1-parts.jpg

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

ChisaiKuso wrote:
terry.sc wrote:I've got one.
I cannot tell for sure, but the picture makes it look like that is one of the fiberglass cars. If it is an "FRP" car and not a "graphite" car, I would love to see some additional pictures of it. It always seemed to me that the graphite kits were far more common, and the limited number of available pictures on the Internet seems to support that as well.
It's a carbon car, you can't see the carbon weave because the photo was taken in the UK, where we rarely get bright enough sun to show details.
ChisaiKuso wrote:Speaking of bodies, were can I find some suitable replacement bodies for my two cars? I have been looking on eBay, but the vintage Tamiya body kits all seem to be going for over $100. There are several significantly cheaper bodies listed from a seller in Hong Kong, but something tells me that they are cheaper for a reason. I am also assuming that finding any HPI bodies will be almost impossible.
If you want parts that look familiar :wink: then take a look at the TRG 91M body with the TRG Advance front wing and Advance rear wing, which are also available in white.

Any body and wings designed for the Tamiya F103 will fit straight on, they even use the same body post locations. I'll take some photos later in the week when I get the chance to give you a comparison with Tamiyas F1s.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Well a little later than planned, but I have taken some photos of my three HPI Super F1s 8)
The left and middle ones have the standard HPI body, with the left one using Cross wings while the middle one uses the standard HPI wings. The one on the right has Tamiya Ferrari 412T1 body and front and rear wings.

Left is the HPI with Ferrari body set, next is the HPI with a Tamiya Williams FW14 body and Cross wings, the car with the white wings is my F103 as a size comparison. and on the right the standard HPI body.

A size comparison. Left is a Corally F1 with Corally body, Tamiya F103, HPI Super F1 and Tamiya F104v2. You can see how much longer the F104 is so you can't use F104 bodies, while any body for the F103 will work.

HPI Super F1 with the body from my F103 mounted on it.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »