Restoring an onroad conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

killswitch

Restoring an onroad conversion

Post by killswitch »

I'm new to this forum, and it's been a great reference for figuring out exactly what this is... A big thanks for all of the info you guys have collected! I'm a 25 year+ RC vet basher/racer/crawler that's been around the block a few times. I had a huge collection of vintage early 80s through 90s kits, cars, bodies and hop ups that all burned up in a fire in an out building about 3 years ago. This is my first rescue/restore since then.

The back story on this car:
I stopped by one of my LHS looking for some crawler parts and see this car sitting behind the counter. Didn't pay much attention to it because I thought it was an old 10L with a Camaro body and Bolink chrome wheels on it. Guy working the counter has no idea where it came from or what the shop owner wants for it. No big deal I thought. Later that night I'm checking out my local Facebook RC group and see pictures of it again, but with the body off. Worst part was that it was in the hands of a 12 year old kid that has a reputation for being EXTREMELY rough on everything RC he touches. Realizing my mistake by not checking it out at the shop, I instantly shoot the kid a cash offer on the car but I'm unable to get it. I cringe and move on. 3 months later it pops back up in the hands of another local. Needless to say, I didn't let it get away again.

I know it's running the McCallister onroad converison, but I'm unsure on the foam core chassis. I believe it's a Raceco because of the phenolic inserts but I know that Composite Craft and others made similar chassis. The shocks are all bottom load, 3 have no slots on the spring retainers. Andy's arms in the rear also. I wish it had a 6 gear trans to go with the rest of the old parts, but a stealth it is... On to the pics

I've already torn it down and started cleaning everything up. I managed to remove most of the blue RTV gasket crap that some one used as shoe goo. Some of the nylon parts were dyed red, then spray painted red at some point in time. Not sure if I can use some brake fluid to remove the paint or not. Going to have to test something I can replace easily. Hopefully I can remove the paint and re-dye the parts black.

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Restoring an onroad conversion

Post by Phin »

Nice car and welcome.

Brake fluid will remove the paint and won't damage the nylon. I'd be more concerned about what you use to clean the chassis since there's probably a lot more stuff that can damage the foam core than the nylon.

Digging the body. :mrgreen:

killswitch

Post by killswitch »

I actually used dawn dish soap and water to clean the chassis :lol: I just didn't submerge it in any way. As for the blue RTV, I taped off the area surrounding it and carefully used a hobby blade to remove most of it, similar to removing a sticker from glass. I'm hoping a shot of brake cleaner will remove the last little bits, even if it's just enough to not notice once the electronics are in it. Thanks for the info on the brake fluid. I didn't think it would affect the nylon, but I wasn't sure.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

That is a really cool find! Welcome to the site, and thank you for sharing the story and pictures with us. 8)
Something clever goes here...

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Wow. I want. Lol. I'm big on dirt oval and I'm digging this chassis. A Ford guy but that body looks sharp. You could almost make a street stock oval or keep it as a street car. Really cool build.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Johnboy72 wrote: A Ford guy but that body looks sharp.
x2 8)

I've always liked the '83 IROC when they came out. Thats one of the best looking camaro bodies I've seen. Whole car is a great find :D

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!