MIP Tranny Info Please

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

carloco8

Re: MIP Tranny Info Please

Post by carloco8 »

shodog wrote:If it wasn't for SRB's there probably would not be an RC10 and this list would have been http://www.RC12talk.com
I know, just poking a little fun at something I so envy :mrgreen: Seriously though, your 4wd SRB is truely a work of art :wink:
Old school racing all the way!

MONSTER
Approved Member

VIVA LA DIFERANCE!! (I cant spell THAT, hehe)

Post by MONSTER »

I got the MIP in a couple days ago. Now tell me which vehicle Im working on (RC10, 10T) would be best suited to the Trannys I have (White Stealth, White MIP, pic below). The 10T is going to become my MAIN Stadium Truck, with No-Limit ESC and whatever Motor I have to run to keep up. So, if I understood carloco8 correctly, I should use the MIP (2:61:1) in the 10T, as to run hotter Motors and "keep up" with others. When I get so far "Out-Classed", theres no way I can keep up, I'll just get another T3. Then I can switch the MIP to the Buggy (or DS).
Does all that sounds reasonable? Feel free to tell me what you would do given what I have in front of me: White Stealth, White MIP, for RC10, RC10T?

Now heres a shot of the Difference carloco8 discribed.
By lvlonster, shot with V3345 at 2007-12-03
AAAaaand, one of the Other Side:
By lvlonster, shot with V3345 at 2007-12-04

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if it were me, i'd put that mip in a shelfer and not use. mainly because finding a new idler and diff gear, if something would happen to those, would be a challenge. you'd be better off buying one of the 2.65 rpm trans conversions and use that in the 10t. it uses all of the 2.25 stealth internal, except for the smaller topshaft that comes with the kit.

just my $.02. :wink:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i'm with scr8p, replacement parts for the mip would be hard to come by.

i'm interested to see how well the changebox holds up though. i have one that i've been considering using on a runner but that big plastic idler kinda freaks me out a little...

i did however, buy a couple of the changebox's from rcslot for insane cheap... i only got a couple before they sold out of them, but i'm almost sure there is somebody here who loaded up on them and would maybe hook you up on parts if you needed them.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I thought I told everyone all I wanted was some cool, solid parts for a RUNNER. I surely didnt want something that needs to be on a Shelfer. I cant believe this. I thought I was almost ready to wrap up TWO Rebuilds, but now Im moving backwards. I cant afford to Build a Vehicle for DECORATION!! So, now what do I do? I want RUNNER stuff!!!

I might as well just go to bed now. :cry:

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

If you really want to use the MIP tranny, then use it. We here just suggest that it might be really difficult to replace internal parts if something blows out in it (idler and diff gear). It all comes down to how confident you are in your driving and what motor you want to run when actually running/using vintage cars/parts. Mount it to the 10T tub, drill the new holes in the motor plate, get a 4-40 tap for the new holes and it'll be a done deal.
Old school racing all the way!

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Oh, I understood about the parts being hard to find, but who wants to have "hard to find parts" on theeir RUNNER. It wasnt that I "really want to use the MIP", it just the first Trans that came in a Trade. I was trying to get as much as I could by trading, to hold down cost.
I would just not really have any fun with the Truck if I was worried about it breaking, and having a hard time fixing it. So, now I have a Trans I have no use for. I guess I can always put it on eBay :cry: and WAIT some more to finish the Projects. CRAP!!! Unless someone on here wants to make me an Interesting Offer.

It had a small fuzzball of some kind in it when I got it (he said he just overhauled it), but when I removed that, it was REALLY smooth.

What to do...what to do.... :|

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Just my opinion, but if you are looking for parts for "runners," don't seek out rare and hard to find parts. Most people here will be of the same ilk, in that something rare, expensive and difficult to find should be left to collectors. There are a LOT of really good old school parts and pieces that aren't rare or hard to find, and even MORE new school kits that are perfectly cheap, plentiful and found on your hobby shop walls if you just want to bash around in the front yard or race at the local track.

Consider the guys racing vintage real cars. They know what they are playing with, and they know what they are risking to lose. It's their choice in those instances, but they are well aware of the risks of racing race vintage cars and parts. To some, that's something fun and entertaining, but for bashing and racing, there are a lot better parts to use that won't make your stomach turn if you break something.

On the other hand, I'd love to get involved in some sort of vintage racing. I think if you know what you're going into, it would certainly be very entertaining.

Sorry for the thread drift...

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Eau Rouge wrote:Just my opinion, but if you are looking for parts for "runners," don't seek out rare and hard to find parts. Most people here will be of the same ilk, in that something rare, expensive and difficult to find should be left to collectors. There are a LOT of really good old school parts and pieces that aren't rare or hard to find, and even MORE new school kits that are perfectly cheap, plentiful and found on your hobby shop walls if you just want to bash around in the front yard or race at the local track.

Consider the guys racing vintage real cars. They know what they are playing with, and they know what they are risking to lose. It's their choice in those instances, but they are well aware of the risks of racing race vintage cars and parts. To some, that's something fun and entertaining, but for bashing and racing, there are a lot better parts to use that won't make your stomach turn if you break something.

On the other hand, I'd love to get involved in some sort of vintage racing. I think if you know what you're going into, it would certainly be very entertaining.

Sorry for the thread drift...
I DIDNT "seek out" the MIP, like I posted, it was just the first Tranny that came in a Trade Offer. I hadnt even given one thought to a MIP. I was looking for Stealths or 6-Gears. It was just...there.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Well then, nice find. ;)

If you don't want it and are not interested in using it, do what the rest of us do and sell/auction it to parlay it into more or something that you can actually use. It has value, for sure.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

New Pic!! ^^^^^