ASC9253 (B3/T4) Slipper Disk in a Stealth Slipper????

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CBR240
Approved Member

ASC9253 (B3/T4) Slipper Disk in a Stealth Slipper????

Post by CBR240 »

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but it probably is. :) Feel like I am missing the obvious here.

After 23 years of RC10 ownership, I just bought my first stealth trans a few months ago. Really, I'm kind of late to the game here. I like the stealth, well now thanks to Rouge I like them both :D , ...

Because I could not find the Slipper Pad (ASC6585) I converted to a B4.2 slipper to share parts with the slipper on my son's RC10B4.2. No regrets there, it works great.

But that's all on my "daily driver" RC10. I also would like to put a Stealth in the RC10 I've had all these years (it is very, very, light use now), but would prefer to keep the old stealth slipper, so I can use the stock cover, ... I had given up on finding a stealth slipper pad until .....

... recently I saw a B3/T3 Slipper Pad (ASC9253) that looked very similar to ASC6585, so I ordered one. The RC10 stealth "Pad" ASC6585 is tan rulon, the B3/T3 ""Disk" that I received is blue. Sitting on top of one another they look identical to me. Well the new one is much thicker, but the only Stealth Pad I have is shot so I don't have a good base line to compare to. It does all fit together well with this "new" (ASC9253) pad.

So I have to ask:
Has anyone ever tried a B3/T4 Slipper Disk (ASC9253) in a stealth slipper?
I'd pop it on and try it, but the only stuffed and mounted Stealth Trans I have, has a B4 Top shaft in it now.
I have to believe if this worked I would have found a thread here (I looked and could not).

BTW - by Stealth slipper, I am referring to parts such as ASC9251 Torq Contr Hub Inner, ... IDK if there were multiple.

scr8p
Administrator

Re: ASC9253 (B3/T4) Slipper Disk in a Stealth Slipper????

Post by scr8p »

if you bought a slipper pad designed for a b3/t3 and it's the same as the one on your stealth trans other than color, then someone changed the original slipper out for a b3/t3 unit. the one from a 2.25 stealth and the b2 and t2 are smaller in diameter than a b3/t3 slipper.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

Thanks for the quick info scr8p.
And your correct, the one Pad I have, I don't know where it came from. I picked up the whole slipper on eBay rather cheap about 2 months ago. The pad itself is worn (I think ???), so it's hard to say exactly how big it was to start with. The diameter now matches the b3/t3 pad exactly.

The new blue disk (pad) seems to fit my slipper assembly.
Here's the new blue one on the left, and what came in the "eBay slipper" on the right:

They measure the same size.

I really don't know what I have, but next time I have a std top shaft in a stealth, I'm going to try the blue pad just for fun.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

That's the b3/t3 setup. The ridge on the outside of the inner hub is a dead giveaway, the original setup didn't have that ridge. The blue disc is a new one to me, they must have switched material.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

justinspeed79 wrote:That's the b3/t3 setup. The ridge on the outside of the inner hub is a dead giveaway, the original setup didn't have that ridge. The blue disc is a new one to me, they must have switched material.
That would explain everything. So the "RC10 Stealth Slipper" I bought is a b3/t3 setup.
That's great as all is explained. It should not surprise me that B3/T3 disks work in it. :D
And I have another slipper I can get pads for. :mrgreen:

Thanks for clearing up everything for me guys. Sorry for the useless thread.

upforit365
Approved Member

Post by upforit365 »

I think that might be a slipper pad from a thunder tiger phoenix bxII.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

upforit365 wrote:I think that might be a slipper pad from a thunder tiger phoenix bxII.
The tan one? If so you may be correct. I really have no idea what it is. I bought the whole assembly of eBay as a "RC10 Slipper". Turns out it was a B3 slipper (again thanks for the help guys), which it turns out is a nice thing to have :D .

I'm sure the blue one is an Associated ASC9253, as I ordered it from Tower as such, and took it out of a new Associated package labeled 9253 yesterday.

I am also glad that in all my searching I didn't find a "stealth slipper pad" (ASC6585), as I would have been very disappointed (and even more confused) when it did not fit in my "eBay stealth slipper".

upforit365
Approved Member

Post by upforit365 »

The blue one is what I thought was a Thunder Tiger part, check the link:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/thunder-tiger-clutch-disc-phoenix-/rc-car-products/37582

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

Interesting. Doesn't Thunder Tiger own Associated now (the things that happen when you leave an industry for 2 decades! Wow), so I guess this should not be too surprising. Thanks for the info. I now know one more way I can order slipper pads for my "eBay Stealth Slipper" :D

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

If you convert to the B4 top shaft you can use all new parts including slipper pads and spur gears.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

RC104ever wrote:If you convert to the B4 top shaft you can use all new parts including slipper pads and spur gears.
Thanks!
Actually I already did that including the VTS slipper (and use B4 cover) on my new "daily driver" RC10:

It works great and I share all parts with my sons RC10B4.2. I just ordered all the slipper parts from his parts manual + the top shaft as I had read doing that worked on this site. And it does work great.

But, on my old original RC10 CE I bought new 23 years ago, I want to keep more of the stock look, and stock cover. So I think a stealth trans + this B3 slipper will be just what I want there. I only run this old car once in a great while, for memories. The new one has newer faster ESC+motor, so it is even more fun for normal use. I have now talked myself into upgrading this car to a stealth, rationalizing it as, it wanted a stealth trans >20 years ago, and I am finally getting it one. :D It deserves it.

The old one that I want to keep closer to stock:

Yes, I know, I need to learn a 2nd paint job :D . I have just never been good at painting these, and the above came out so good (by far the best I've ever done), I painted the Viper body the same (but did not do as good of a job).

Hey, I figured since I created a useless thread :oops: , I'd try to redeem myself some by posting :D pictures.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Why are your shocks mounted to the backside of the tower?

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

scr8p wrote:Why are your shocks mounted to the backside of the tower?
Wait what??? Oh my, :D :D :D

On my new car it does look like that in the picture, but on both cars shocks are mounted the front of the rear towers (I just double checked :D :D ).
On the "new" car, they are carbon fiber (Carbon works) towers with shocks mounted to the front. Somehow the driveway showing through looks like a shock tower is in front. The body is sitting a bit above the shock tower in the picture.

Different pic, same car:

Still can't really see the tower, but can see there is nothing in front of the shock. :D It is true that I don't (didn't) know the difference between a B3 slipper and a original stealth slipper. :D I still wouldn't recognize an original stealth slipper pad. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Ahh, ok. On my phone it looks like they're on the backside.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

No worries, in the picture it really does look like they are mounted on the back of a white tower, when they are actually on the front of a black tower. I had a "What!!!???" instant myself when I looked back at that picture. :D