Project Dead Pool

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Project Dead Pool

Post by littleVETTE »

well, i've been wondering if anyone would start one. i've seen a few people pondering the idea, but no threads to follow them.

i would of done this a long time ago, but there still is a stolen car out there. i don't want to take that away from gene husting. he deserves the car back, and in his museum. seeing a bunch of replicas here and there, and later ending up on ebay would dilute the chances of finding his car. the dead pool cars are going to be one of those deals where they'll be hard to see first hand and replicate. but visually you could come close, and it won't hurt to make one from that aspect.

i've built more than 10 replicas for family and friends. they were just dyed, painted, and put together. nothing close to the originals. but visually they looked identical. this will be another easy build for me. it's been about a year and change since i put one together. the guy i had making me the wheels and knock-offs retired. so now i'm stuck searching around for a cnc guy, or a well experienced lathe guy/gal. the wheels for this project will probably be the only part i'll be looking for.

i'm going to do something a little different for this project. i'm going to build a "what if they showed rook's work table" dead pool car. i've always wondered what it would be like if they would of shot harlan rook's work table in his apartment and he had one of his dead pool cars on the table. the car ready to go with all the bomb gear mounted. that would of been pretty cool! for a later project i'll build a gasser version with bomb gear.

i bought a couple of period correct rc10's, took them apart, cleaned the parts, and got them ready for dye. i'm taking pictures right now and i'll post them up.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Project Dead Pool

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

About time! Can't wait to see it. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

i've built more than 10 replicas for friends and family.
now i gotta ask.. your avatar always made me wonder, do you have some kind of connection to the dead pool car or are you just a fan?? i really want a a dead pool car for my collection but im very lazy and i dont like painting so im waiting to buy a body painted.. [youtube]TTLXJcW3NYo&feature[/youtube]

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

ok, i got 2 donor cars from ebay. both were in great shape with the exception of one the chassis sets. one of them had one too many holes drilled in the chassis.

so i took the cleanest chassis set and painted it. both cars had the solid spring cups, non perched clamps, bottom loaded shocks, shock towers, ball cups, and bulkhead. all period correct. so i picked the cleanest parts and started cleaning the lot. i also trimmed and reamed anything that needed it. i opened up the rear arms for clearance issues with the stub axles.

i then dyed all the parts with black rit dye. i also added a spoonful of salt. the shock towers were in the pot with the other parts. i just had to leave them a little longer for the dye to take to them, while the the rest of the parts dried off. anyone with a careful eye will notice that there isn't a battery cup and strap in the lot. i forgot them and had to do a later dye job on them.

assembly was next. all the shock shafts and hinge pins got the scotch brite treatment. including the ball ends. i then grabbed some kydex stock and cut out the side and front nose body mounts.

next the tranny, shocks, forming the kydex body mounts, and body....

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

tranny built, and turnbuckles mounted.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

the plastic shock cap gaskets weren't doing crap to keep the oil from leaking. since then i have changed over to the rubber o-rings.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

here's the body. it's been scratched from being stored for quite a while. but it is intact and straight. a good little body for the project. i have trimmed the body and wheel wells since then.

i'm on the fence about the color that i want to use for the body, rather than the standard black. going by the pictured cars that rook had on his wall, like the white 959 porsche, i'm thinking all white with blacked out windows and chromed accessories. i'll leave it up to you guys to find the little gold nugget in this shot...

i found some excellent mini mags for the project. all i got to do is narrow down the front foams, turn all of them on the lathe, and then groove them.

next i'll add the electronics, form the body mounts, and mount the wheels.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I love the all black even before the Dead Pool treatment. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

I have been tryin to build one also,as you know the vette body I got on EB was JUNK....your project is realy lookin good...keep up the great work....JohnnySr

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

This is wonderful to see how that car went together! Thank you for showing us! I wonder if AE liked the black Deadpool car so much, that it influenced them to go black on the chassis of the Team Car and later to black plastic? I know that the black plastic was mostly because of the fiber impregnation and plastic type though, I still like the look!

I can go down to "Brown Town" and see if I can rustle up some C4 for ya! :lol:

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

rc10johnny wrote:I have been tryin to build one also,as you know the vette body I got on EB was JUNK....your project is realy lookin good...keep up the great work....JohnnySr

thanks johnnysr. don't give up on the body. you'll be surprised how a body painted on the outside would turn out.

i went and got some clay for the fake bomb. i'm getting some excellent ideas on how to build it. the only challenge i'm looking to have is the bombers switch. more than likely i'll probably have to have one fab'd up from a single piece of sheet metal and paint it. i ran into an exact copy of 'harlan rook's' bomb switch a while back. but for the life of me i can't remember where i saw it. at least i'll have two color choices to pick from. black or tan...

WebSteve
Approved Member

Post by WebSteve »

I've taken the liberty of uploading all the Dead Pool pictures I have. I hope they help you with your project! I shot the pictures with the car on carpet. I'm not sure who shot the ones on the white background.
Attachments
DeadPool6.700.jpg
DeadPool5.700.jpg
DeadPool4.700.jpg
DeadPool3.700.jpg
DeadPool2.700.jpg
DeadPool1.700.jpg

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

thank you so much steve. much appreciated.

i think those white back ground pictures were shot by mike ogle. i remember talking to him about it. he never got around to showing them to me.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

talk about a cool build, love the movie and the mighty mr eastwood. got to find a body myself :P