The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Re: The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Post by UltraHIVE »

very cool...

are u going to SummerSlam next week in Vernon, NJ? should be awesome!

for those that dont know, check out this video... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYWjeY8lvE8&feature=channel_video_title

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

I picked up a couple of BMX's yesterday, but both need some TLC. (Like I need another project) One of them is a Haro Function F2, and the other is a bit more of a mystery. The only tag on it is on the frame under the seat, that says "AMS". It also says something about Vancouver... 'designed in Vancouver' I think.
I'm giving the AMS bike to a buddy at work to fix up, but my plan with the Haro is to make it rideable. However, I would like to one day have it look better than new.
BMXaug22-2011_ (3).jpg
BMXaug22-2011_ (22).jpg
I'm trying to find out a little more info on both, but I'll start with the Haro. From what I've found out so far, it's somewhat of an entry level bike, 'sold only in bike shops'. As for the year it was built, I'm getting conflicting years. Wikipedia says it was released in 2009, but I found a forum post from 2005, with a guy talking about buying an F2. (Maybe there is a difference between an 'F2' and a 'FUNCTION F2'?)

I did some work on it last night. I had to steal the handle bars from the AMS bike, because the Haro's were bent. I took he pegs off, and gave them to my Dad to polish for me. He turned them on a lathe, and using a fine grit sanding pad, managed to get them looking pretty sweet.
BMXaug22-2011_ (26).jpg
BMXaug22-2011_ (25).jpg
I don't know if I'll put them back on the Haro. It's already a fairly heavy bike, I don't know if I want to add a few more pounds to it. Not to mention they'd only be for looks. It's been well over a decade since I busted out any tricks, I don't plan on doing anything like that these days!

Does anyone have any tips to getting the rust out of things like goose neck hex screws? Maybe polish them with a dremel? Or is there a good cheater method, like soaking them in something?
BMXaug22-2011_ (8).jpg
BMXaug22-2011_ (9).jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

removing rust you can use either phosphoric acid, or electrolysis....either way will make the finish a dull gray or even darker, then you have to apply whatever coating you want before it rusts right in front of you again....

lots of different stuff around....search 'electrolysis for rust removal' on the 'net, or any of the rust converter/remover chemicals(all basically phosphoric acid) even coke works for the job, believe it or not, but it's slow.

naval jelly, rust-mort, etc etc.

more importantly, come up with a oxidation coating to preserve the finish. polishing will work if you wax, or you can use a black oxide, or just clear coating them.

eastwood makes lots of different coating kits, so you can restore that kind of stuff if you want.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

UltraHIVE wrote:very cool...

are u going to SummerSlam next week in Vernon, NJ? should be awesome!

for those that dont know, check out this video... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYWjeY8lvE8&feature=channel_video_title

I went to Summerslam once, back in 2008. Years ago I'd go to Steve Jain's shows down in south Jersey, and I went to a BMX BBQ show at Glenn's on Staten Island once. I'm not really into shows. It's fun to see everybody again and check out the bikes, but I'd much rather ride.

tsan, for rusty stem bolts I usually just hit them with the WD40. Get a Q-tip or a bunched up rag in the hex area. I rub the rust out, wipe the WD40 off and they're fine. They keep their original finish and any patina and don't rust again unless they're getting wet a lot. As for the rest of the bike, you can do a search on bmxmuseum or bmxsociety.com there are plenty of solutions for getting rust off of frames, bars and bigger parts.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Summerslam looks cool.
I think you're right Scott, riding is my kinda thing. I'm not building for show, just want to get out there and ride a nice bike.
:)
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Thanks for the info guys. :)
I got the bike back together tonight, and took it for it's first test-toast. It actually rides pretty nice. I think I did about 6 or 7 kms. The only thing I didn't have total confidence in was the crank. If I stood up to accelerate as hard as I could, I heard a little bit of a creaking sound. That'll probably be the first thing I upgrade. I'd like a 3 piece crank, but only if I can manage to find something that isn't worth more than the bike itself .Like Jason just said, I've decided I don't think I am going to bother putting too much money into making it a 'show' bike. As long as it cruises nice, I'll be happy.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Here's one I didn't expect to own, but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. It's a 2012 Mongoose KOS Kruiser. A limited edition retro tribute to the legendary early 80s KOS 26" BMX cruiser. Only 40 are being offered to the US, 20 in chrome and 20 in raw (I went with raw as you can see) the rest are being sold overseas. This is a pretty nice bike straight out of the box. It's full 4130 triple butted chromoly, it's got 3 piece cranks, sealed bearings throughout, Avid brakes, the hubs look similar to the old Son Lite hubs and the pedals are bear traps. It rides nice and feels comfy. It will make for a nice second commuter and loaner for friends of mine who want to ride with me but don't have their own bike. I'm thinking of getting some KOS style bars for it and maybe getting a taller sprocket. Other than that, it's pretty sweet as-is. 8)

Next to my Firemans Texas Cruzer:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

tsan wrote:Does anyone have any tips to getting the rust out of things like goose neck hex screws? Maybe polish them with a dremel? Or is there a good cheater method, like soaking them in something?
I'll share a trick for removing rust from chrome that many won't believe, I didn't myself when I found it while Googling rust removal, ironically I discovered it on a vintage bike restoration forum...don't ask why, just do it. You'll thank me for it's cheapness and effectiveness. It of course won't do anything about pits left behind by rust, but it'll remove any and all surface rust surprisingly quick.

Buy yourself 2 things: a roll of aluminum foil, and a 2-litre bottle of Coke. Roll up wads of foil and dab them in a bowl of Coke, then rub the chrome with it. Trust me, you'll be amazed at how quickly it comes off. I've restored some chrome snare drums from the 80's and you'd be blown away by the before/after pics.

As far as explanation goes, what I can say is that the foil is harder than the rust, but not as hard as the chrome, and there must be some form of galvanic reaction between the acids in the Coke & the rust; therefore it removes the rust quite effectively without scratching the chrome. One warning I can say, do NOT use any kind of steel wool to remove rust from chrome. You'll score and scratch it.

If you want to remove rust from something more difficult and small, soak it in the bowl of Coke for a few hours, then scrub it with foil. 8)
Attachments
TopHoop_BeforeAfter.jpg
Premier1005_Before1.jpg
Premier1005_After1A.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Wow :shock: neat trick thanks for sharing

SofaKing
Approved Member

Post by SofaKing »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Here's one I didn't expect to own, but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. It's a 2012 Mongoose KOS Kruiser. A limited edition retro tribute to the legendary early 80s KOS 26" BMX cruiser. Only 40 are being offered to the US, 20 in chrome and 20 in raw (I went with raw as you can see) the rest are being sold overseas. This is a pretty nice bike straight out of the box. It's full 4130 triple butted chromoly, it's got 3 piece cranks, sealed bearings throughout, Avid brakes, the hubs look similar to the old Son Lite hubs and the pedals are bear traps. It rides nice and feels comfy. It will make for a nice second commuter and loaner for friends of mine who want to ride with me but don't have their own bike. I'm thinking of getting some KOS style bars for it and maybe getting a taller sprocket. Other than that, it's pretty sweet as-is. 8)
Very cool, I was thinking about this bike just last week. I remember you saying that you had a line on one. I'm liking the look of it but I think you're right on the taller sprocket. As it is right now there's a lot of vacant space between the top tube and the bottom bracket.

You're lucky to have gotten one, it's a super cool looking bike sir 8)

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

melvinsarmy...i would fire them reflectors on pedals...nice bike:)

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

sweet cruiser! nice look to it, love the color scheme too..

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

dsmith wrote:melvinsarmy...i would fire them reflectors on pedals...nice bike:)
I was torn, didn't know if I should take them off or leave them on since I'll be commuting on this bike and it's good to be seen. I'm probably going to replace the pedals, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Already have the replica KOS bars on it and a new seat. Just waiting for the new chainwheel and I'll take some more pics. I'm really liking this bike, it's a joy to ride.

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

Has anyone read the story about Jeff Haney's bmx vintage collection in the October issue of RIDEbmx?
He's definitely hardcore. I recognized myself in everything he said and I know a few guys on this forum that just feel exactly the same. A great read.
You can see a bit of it here.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=354632

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

R-NO wrote:Has anyone read the story about Jeff Haney's bmx vintage collection in the October issue of RIDEbmx?
He's definitely hardcore. I recognized myself in everything he said and I know a few guys on this forum that just feel exactly the same. A great read.
You can see a bit of it here.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=354632
Haven't seen it and kind of surprised to see it. I don't know Jeff, but I've known of him for years. He easily has the most amazing bmx collection on Earth. Probably one of the best collections of anything ever put together. I believe he's a pretty good guy to boot.