93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - a YZ-10, 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Now I have to find the red ones :lol: , too bad because I have more pink! Ah well, better to know! And I did get this for my build............................NIP. And soon that "other thing"

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

nice work on the wheel dot's dan, any some pic's of the whole buggy brother, can't you find any photo's of the original racer's baliston wcs? putting her back to that would be very cool.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

GJW wrote:nice work on the wheel dot's dan, any some pic's of the whole buggy brother, can't you find any photo's of the original racer's baliston wcs? putting her back to that would be very cool.
Gary, yes the car is now in one peice.... but i'd like to finalise a couple of parts before 'unveiling' it so to speak - so watch this space :wink:

I'm afraid I have no idea what the car looked like or trim that it was running - i'm not even 100% sure the car ever raced at Basildon... How I recieved it is as far as I know how it was run, i.e with that box-art esque' shell (it did cross my mind that it may have been a promo car?) I know the name of the racer who had it since the 90s - but it is doubtfull he had it from new, but likely that he aquired it from someone who may have been of a World class standard. I love to obtain a full entry/car list.. it may narrow it down as to who may have driven it.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

The wheels that I dyed came out too dark :(

The ribbed ones on the car I dyed next too original Yoke ones for comparison

Hopefully got some more white ones coming to have a second go at getting them nearer. Going to have to have a play around with some different colours/ratios to try & get the colour correct.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

mate i think those original pink rims are very light/faded, the ribbed look closer to masami's surely dont they

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

GJW wrote:mate i think those original pink rims are very light/faded, the ribbed look closer to masami's surely dont they
Mmm - I'm not sure... the camera certainly lies when trying to judge the exact colour of these parts :| The original wheel where you can see the inside face, is one of the ribbed wheels with the wheel dots that i've stuck on the front face - the wheel behind is a 2.2" dish... so they are from different sets... but if they are faded then they have faded at the same rate & on all faces evenly.

The wheels on both Reggie's car & on your white 'armed' 870C (that you posted a picture in another thread) Look much brighter... but then the wheels on this car look the same as mine.....

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=32925&id=3019

Its difficult to judge the true colour of the wheels on Masami's car as the wheel dots cover most of them up..... but they do look more pink in the photo of JD Beckworth's car & on the photos of a 93 WCS I recieved from CML... but in both these last photos the colours in the photo seem over-bright??

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

The pink you need is inbetween those two colours, I agree your original set looks faded

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

YZ-10 wrote:The pink you need is inbetween those two colours, I agree your original set looks faded
I'd be inclined to agree with you Matt... but then in this picture from the RRC article the wheel appears fairly pale;

...... but maybe darker than my OG wheels? What I find odd, is that plastics normally fade when exposed to UV light, yet these wheels if they have faded have faded uniformly throughout the moulding... even where tyres have been mounted :?:

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

Its difficult to judge the true colour of the wheels on Masami's car as the wheel dots cover most of them up..... but they do look more pink in the photo of JD Beckworth's car & on the photos of a 93 WCS I recieved from CML... but in both these last photos the colours in the photo seem over-bright??
That is just impossible to use pictures for color reference. First, there is the camera. A nikon or a Canon can give you the same picture, but with different colors. And then the way your screen is setup will also plays into the render, and everyone has a different screen. Not to mention that excepted the picture I posted which was taken with a digital camera, all other pictures are scans of films/prints, or even mags. Huge color variations! So really, picture reference is impossible.

I confirm your wheel has not faded, otherwise you would see color variations on surface. Period.

Reggie had found a pretty close color match using a combination of Rit Fushia and Tangerine Orange but never posted the exact ratio in the rctech forum :(

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

Exposed to UV and faded before tyres were fitted? :wink: or maybe its just how the photo came out :wink:

Re the article, problem is its photo in a scanned article the colours aren't true, the wheels are darker than your faded set but lighter than the ones you dyed, I guess only way for 'exact' colour is to have a set of new originals in your hands to compare and dye to that colour otherwise you're going from images.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

R-NO wrote: I confirm your wheel has not faded, otherwise you would see color variations on surface. Period.
I'm inclined to agree with you here R-No.... I un-glued the tyres that had been fitted to the original ribbed pink wheels & I would guess they had been on there for a good many years... even if fading had occured before the tyres had been fitted surely the areas still exposed would fade further still.

At the end of the day I have a set of original pink wheels - they seem to match R-NO's digital image of Masami's car (albeit a photo of his car in an 'aged' condition).... so these should be the wheels I use as a guide for my dyeing of the new white wheels.

And finally - proof that you can trick a camera into showing incorrect colouring, here is a picture of my WCS as is currently stands.... there's still quite a bit that needs to be done... but here it is..... drum roll! :mrgreen:

Check out how bright those wheels are when in direct sunlight!! 8)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

R-NO wrote: Reggie had found a pretty close color match using a combination of Rit Fushia and Tangerine Orange but never posted the exact ratio in the rctech forum :(
I am sorry Dan and R-N0, I had run like 15-20 different ratio's that day to "dial in" the color, and had all the test rims and parts in a ziploc bag with that ratio and dye time written on the parts- but I can only find the "wrong" parts bag, not the correct one :x I remember it was something close to ( Imperial ) 2 quarts water, 1/8 tsp of fushia and a pinch of the tangerine. Very very light color to the dye bath was the key as all the other amounts of dye in the water produced a very very very bold color on the rims. And it was a very quick soak at light boil, like 30 sec- any more and they 8 spokes came out too dark- I am still looking for the bag with the "right" test parts though!

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
R-NO wrote: Reggie had found a pretty close color match using a combination of Rit Fushia and Tangerine Orange but never posted the exact ratio in the rctech forum :(
I am sorry Dan and R-N0, I had run like 15-20 different ratio's that day to "dial in" the color, and had all the test rims and parts in a ziploc bag with that ratio and dye time written on the parts- but I can only find the "wrong" parts bag, not the correct one :x I remember it was something close to ( Imperial ) 2 quarts water, 1/8 tsp of fushia and a pinch of the tangerine. Very very light color to the dye bath was the key as all the other amounts of dye in the water produced a very very very bold color on the rims. And it was a very quick soak at light boil, like 30 sec- any more and they 8 spokes came out too dark- I am still looking for the bag with the "right" test parts though!
Many thanks Reggie. Very much appreciated. I'll give it a try.

To Dan, take great care of your wing. The moulded yokomo wings tend to fade pretty quick under UV.
I have a white one in bag, that turned yellowish and a used orange one with stickers on. Once I removed a sticker and the difference of color was stricking. On a picture I posted earlier, you can also notice Masami's wing also turned very pale.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

the rebuild is a credit to you dan, much respect mate! to see this original very nicely restored is just superb 8) 8) 8)

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

mate what part number's did ya use??

pullies f/r
belt's
outdrive's