Brand-Spankin New YZ-10

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

coralguy1

Brand-Spankin New YZ-10

Post by coralguy1 »

Hello all! This is my first post. I just got a hold of a brand-spankin new, never touched the ground, YZ-10! It is the model that was released immediately following the 870 C. I believe that would make it 1988-1990 production. I purchased one of the first ones brought into the states way back in 88 and raced it in Colorado. Absolutely loved it! I have regretted parting with it for years. Now I have kids getting into the hobby and I am very excited to find the exact same model that I used to run! It also has two brand new vintage SCR battery packs with it and I was able to find a brand new Peak Performance stock motor from 88-90 to go with it!
I have a couple of questions for you collectors out there. Is it a total crime to put this "never touched the ground" YZ-10 on the dirt and play with it? Just how collectible and rare might this find be?
Second question. Am I right about the 88-90 production date?
Third question. The front suspension arms have two sets of holes to mount the hub assemblies. As I recall, I used to run mine with the wider front wheelbase. That would require a set of longer front drive shafts. Anybody know where I can find a set?
Fourth question. Would love to find some 2.2 rims all the way round to run some modern rubber on it (I know, some of you are probably groaning at that, thinking I should keep it all original). Also, I have two extra sets of original front tires and would love to find someone with an extra set of rears to swap a pair with. I would also need to find some more rims to mount em. Any ideas on rims and tires would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by but I'll stop here for now.
Thanks, guys!
P.S. I attempted to attach photo's for you but I'm not sure I figured it out!

coralguy1

Re: Brand-Spankin New YZ-10

Post by coralguy1 »

OK, so the pictures did not work! Can anybody help me figure out how to post a picture?
Thanks!

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

first off, welcome aboard! All Yoke fans are welcome on my book!

As for your brandy new YZ10 ... I wouldn't run it only because perfect ones are so hard to find. Really nice used ones show up all the time and are perfect for runnin' and racin'. You'll get lots of opini0ons from other members here on that one ... some say it was meant to be run, so do it, others will say to preserve it. It's really up to you! Heck, I might just have one to offer you in the next week or so! Your prdouction date sounds about right.

The long front universals are around and would be required to use the outer mounting holes. To run 2.2s, there are a few different ways. Do a little searching on here as others have posted their solutions. I have one in the works but requires a bit more research by me.

As for posting pics, I'm going to guess that the file is too big. The attachment method this site uses is pretty easy to use. When you attach a pic, is there an error message given once the page refreshes?

Brian
Classics rule, moderns drool

coralguy1

Post by coralguy1 »

Hey Brian, Looks like my files are too big. I will reshoot with a smaller picture size tomorrow and try posting them again.
Thanks,
Doug

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

coralguy1 wrote:Hey Brian, Looks like my files are too big. I will reshoot with a smaller picture size tomorrow and try posting them again.
Thanks,
Doug
Why don't you use some free tool to reduce the size? I used faststone something on my laptop before I had to hand the thing in :roll:

Or use a flickr account: you upload the image there and automatically get 3different sizes which you can link to from this forum and others you perhaps frequent.

coralguy1

Post by coralguy1 »

Here goes one more attempt to add pictures! Sorry, I'm computer impaired! :lol: Think I've got it figured out this time. So there should be plenty of details here for you guys to help me decide if I've got my timeline right.
Thanks,
Doug
Attachments
Todd 016.jpg
Todd 014.jpg
Todd 013.jpg
Todd 010.jpg
Todd 006.jpg
Todd 004.jpg
Todd 002.jpg

coralguy1

Post by coralguy1 »

I have to add one final picture for you...because this is the view you'll be seeing if we ever get to race together!! lol! :lol:
Attachments
Todd 026.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Those original shocks are some of the most beautifull even uptill today; but frankly, the way they work they'd be a better fit for a crawler :wink:
Make sure you find a better way to route that wire between the saddle packs or it'll rub the belt and spur.

coralguy1

Post by coralguy1 »

Thanks Mr. Ed.
Yeah, Rerouting that wire is on my to do list. For the life of me, I can't remember what I used to do with it back in the day. Right now it is set up how the previous owner built it. He's made a few other mistakes as well. For starters, he cross threaded the screw that goes up into the steering servo post so that it can't be tightened. I already located a new servo saver kit to take care of that. He also did not tighten the differentials. I am very glad of that, however! :D It is the reason that the car was never run! He set it on the carpet and gave it some throttle. It sat still! So he threw it in the box and put it on the shelf for the next 20 years! Lucky me!
As for the shocks. Really? Mine (from 20 years ago) used to leak like a sieve! I replaced mine with associated within two weeks of getting the car! It was standard procedure here in Denver to pull the anti sway bar and replace the shocks before you raced it for the first time. Maybe I should at least give them a chance if you like them. Can I get some other opinions on the shocks from my fellow "Yoke-heads"?
Thanks!
Doug

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I think you misunderstood my compliment on the shocks: they LOOK very nice but they are really no good; hence their immediate replacement.

coralguy1

Post by coralguy1 »

Ahh. Now that I can agree with. I'm still trying to decide if I dare put this bad boy on the track, or just leave it on the shelf. Of course, that will dictate my shock choice.
Doug

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Well sure you should run it at least once!
And if you're worried about light damage; just put some extra protection on the belly pan, use a mild moter and some hotshot re-re tires. Maybe a used pair of rims too... and go easy on the jumps :wink:
It will give you more pleasure looking at it in the know you've run it.
At least, that's how i feel about this.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Like bscotti said nice used ones are pretty easy to find for a good price. I would buy one of these to use/race and keep this one perfect!

hairy-ogre

Post by hairy-ogre »

Mr. ED wrote:Those original shocks are some of the most beautifull even uptill today; but frankly, the way they work they'd be a better fit for a crawler :wink:
your damn right. they're so beautifull with their old school look (like the red anodized kyosho on optima, javelin...) and blue/grey anodization. but they're quickly unusable, they leak, the rod is jammed :evil: the o ring inner system has been designed by a dressmaker :lol:

I so much love this car that i got three of them :mrgreen:

thanks to jason, who helped me to customize the white one with Andy's wide arms and narrow front wheels

coralguy1

Post by coralguy1 »

thanks to jason, who helped me to customize the white one with Andy's wide arms and narrow front wheels
I would be very interested in hearing more about that modification. Did you use rear arms and rear driveshafts? Or did you use the Andy's fronts with the YZ10 wide front end option driveshafts? Are the rims 2.2?