Lazer ZX-S

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX-S

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Yes still do. Just did the Petit event, and was the first time indoors. It went rather well in the finals which was a bit late but still a lot better than I thought. I have spares to last me for another twenty years so game on. The alloy parts were made as the car has a shed load of weaknesses due to not much development by Kyosho. Still I have alloy rear shock tower mounts (the weakests part on this car) and then the gear box front as its original design is milled out and puzzles me as one crash and its broken as well, but not as weak as the shock tower mount on the rear. Great car though and thats why I still race it.

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

James,

How did you do at the Petit race? Lazer looks good - you've put a lot of time & effort into it. Did you get many people people ask you about the ZX-S when you were racing it? Was it competitive?

Cheers,

Ian

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Ian,

Well the first race it was diabolical. I have tried to set it up on a high grip carpet but had no luck in getting it right and Im no slouch on carpet setups so had no idea why I had no luck with this.

Richard Lowe helped me out a bit and by the finals I had got a half decent set up but had to get rid of the TRX1 shocks and go associated to get it close to where I want it. Still Richards ideas were good and pointed me in the direction I needed to go.

It still needs some more work but in the final I went from last to 2nd only for the undertray to come off and breakage on the front gearbox, but cant complain as it was rapid and yes very competitive. A lot of the guys in my heat were a bit shocked in the last qualifier as well as I was on a flier but I also had another breakage in that round and that cost me. But cant compain as I had a ball with driving it.

Yes a lot of people sat down and looked and Petit interviewed me and took pics as well as Racer and apparantly i am in the March edition so should be interesting.

2wd is now dialed and Richard set it up properly for me. Pity it was ready by the final but I went from last to 1st in two corners and was 3 quarters of a lap ahead by lap 2 only to roll and when I was marshalled as the sensor wire came out. Never mind but I now have a set up for the second event and hope to make the top 30 in 2wd. Ive also mastered the brushless ratios for 2wd.

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Sounds like it's coming together well. I find you need a big meeting like that to shake a car down, once you find the faults you know what to fix for next time. Enjoying yourself is what counts.

What's your 2WD weapon of choice? Are you going to do any of the 1/10th off-road National's this year?

Cheers,

Ian

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

Post by Team Best Performance »

James,the car looks great.The basic layout can be proved an excellent base for a stick lipo car. I am looking forward to the 09 Version of the car.For those who e-mailed me,you can contact me for special parts/projects through [email protected].

Greetings,
Manolis
Kyosho Triumph,Ultima Pro,Pro-X,Lazer ZXR MKII,Lazer ZX-S,Original Predator Woven C/F Chassis
Custom CNC Anodised Aluminium ,Carbon ,Fiberglass & Plastic parts for RC & full scale applications

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Manolis,

Well everyone here knows how good your machining skills are, as the works of art are screwed in place on my weapon of choice the ZX-S.

Now there is an idea that you have given me, thanks. Im now going to look at the prospects of using a one pack Lipo across the chassis, making the balancing of this buggy even better. Now to figure out what options there are to keep it in place.

Yes the Lipo saddle packs should fit in easily into the associated saddle pack holders already installed.

minichamps11 - Ian I am holding off the nats for a while, as I have other plans this year so no serious racing yet, well except for the Petit race in December.

Weapon of choice for 2wd is an RC10B4, I still feel more comfortable with an RC10B2 as it suits my agressive driving style but as the B4 is being sold now and spares are easily obtainable I have gone down this route. Still thanks to Richard Lowe I have a very good set up now, even though it all came together in the very last final.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Ive dyed the wheels and is starting to look the bees knees.
Attachments
DSC00471.JPG

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

Yup, there is a bit about you in Racer magazine in the Petit RC report section :)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

do you mind a couple questions?
(I hope not 'cause here they come anyway ;) )
-which rear axle carrier is that? Lazer ZX5 with how much offset?
- why do you use the upper hinge hole for that carrier? I'm doing something similar but had to use the lower hole as when using the upper hole, the cvd would glide into the outdrive to deep and bind under compression (I think yours does also looking at the scratched part near the ball end)
- which length cvd is that? 62.5 of the ultima rb5 is almost identic to the original 1st gen lazer dogbones, but does not allow more offset to compensate for the smaller offset of the 2.2 inch wheels. the ultima RB5 cvd's are also a lighter colour... are these 65.5 ZX5's?

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

-which rear axle carrier is that? Lazer ZX5 with how much offset?

Nope its from the 2wd RB Type R buggy and the standard kit off set, whatever it is.

- why do you use the upper hinge hole for that carrier? I'm doing something similar but had to use the lower hole as when using the upper hole, the cvd would glide into the outdrive to deep and bind under compression (I think yours does also looking at the scratched part near the ball end)

Im unsure what your talking about. Please emphasise more. Do you mean the upper bottom holes that link the hub to the wishbone, if that is the one you are talking about then the car seems to work better in that position on a high grip surface. However I have changed it again due to totally redoing the setup with help from a very helpful Richard Lowe, who picked up on a few things when I was trying to set it up at the Petit event. I had never raced it indoors before.

If you are using a ZX or ZXR the I would seriously advise in using the kit instruction hole as the car perfered that position. Also this car is not a ZX or ZXR its a totally different buggy altogether. My UJs dont hit the bottom of the diff units, its just that the UJs are 15 years old and have worn over the years of a lot of use. Mind you the pictures are showing flash reflection on the Petit site if thats what your on about and if you pay attention to the drive cups you will see no scratches or shiney bits on the edges.In fact there are no scratches on these as I look now, so it must be the reflection. I think your on about the ZXR and your issue may be due to having the longer UJs in the rear instead of the front hub where you can use the other holes on the castor block to widen the front end. Other than that your camber is a bit wrong from what you are saying or if you have gone and copied my ZXRS rear end then there could be the bearings that may be pushing the uj further in towards the diff. You may have the wrong hub, and may need to file away a section of the inside to resolve the issue.

- which length cvd is that? 62.5 of the ultima rb5 is almost identic to the original 1st gen lazer dogbones, but does not allow more offset to compensate for the smaller offset of the 2.2 inch wheels. the ultima RB5 cvd's are also a lighter colour... are these 65.5 ZX5's?

Nope they are prototype and even I am unsure of the true length. However I have done some homework and discovered that there are about six different size UJs for the ZX5, maybe a bit more and I understand that two of those sizes will fit, but I am unsure which ones at the moment. The ZXR UJS do fit but I think that the front there is an issue with the ujs popping out.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

IMG_0096.JPG

guys, ive now got redesigned gearbox sides that have strengthend the car big time. Also got lighter steering plastics and will be trialing a new LA11 plastic. Hope it lasts. Also ive narrowed the rear by 1mm on each side, and widend the front by 2cm on each side and makes this so much more drivable and turn in and out of corners are tight as tight at high speed. Also moved nimh batts saddles together at the centre very rear of the chassis where they sit against the top deck and motor plate plastic mount. This aides jumping and handling and is almost ready for the Petit invitational in January.

Next change i would like to do is fit a zx layshaft and third diff slipper ( the one with bearings in the spur gear). if any one has one and would be up for selling pm me and let me know.

Also the front wheels are protos and are basically ansman mad rat rears cut and shut into a front wheel. Im getting them made into a mold and will have these on the front. Its looking rather nice now.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

sounds cool, can we see detail pics?

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Sorry please see below
Attachments
photo.jpg

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

On the Petit event you can see a few more items, such as my new design idea on the chassis

http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/showthread.php?t=41763&highlight=lazer+zx-s