Lazer ZX-S

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Lazer ZX-S

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Here is my prototype, and as its a proto it is still being developed. As you can see I have redesigned the chassis and now gives me four positions for the cells on either side, as well as further in the chassis for stabability and slightly further out, for more body roll when required.

Im carbon fibring a few more items so not on the car yet, but a few ideas are being made to update this. Top deck (designed like my ZXR-S version at fibrelyte with tie wrap slots to tidy up the chassis), a new front and rear shock tower, pivot pins plates front and rear - zero, one and two degree options.

The rear shock tower and rear top deck alloy one off mounts / holder, have been done specially for me by my friend Manolis of Greece, who has done a fantastic job and with pin point accuracy. Im also going to alloy the pivot block holders on the inner of the chassis, as well as the gearbox casings on the rear and front for strength (also you would be surprised how light they are as well) and i am also getting several LA11 layshaft gears made up for the hell of it.

Also a shell I have had done, and will post a couple more when they have been painted, and fitted on my completed car.

I am also working on a few more inprovements, and will keep updating everything I have done.

Comments and any advice is more tha welcome. Also is there anyone out there with LA11 part number (layshaft gears) that would be willing to let go to me? PM me and let me know.
Attachments
5.JPG
5.JPG (44.45 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (44.45 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (41.17 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (41.17 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (40.37 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (40.37 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (38.06 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (38.06 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (49.26 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (49.26 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX-S

Post by Mr. ED »

Wow, that's one very serious race minded project!
Nice different paintscheme aswell, your own work?

in 3.jpg it looks like you have made a separate front-section: can you show us some details of this?
I t appears to have some kick-up inthere and I'm always on the look-out for a good solution on that subject

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

Mr. ED wrote:in 3.jpg it looks like you have made a separate front-section: can you show us some details of this?
I t appears to have some kick-up inthere and I'm always on the look-out for a good solution on that subject
That looks like a piece of lexan to me?

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

The front section is a one off piece of carbon fibre, and most probably the only one of its kind. The chassis is a three piece chassis, a front plate with kick up, a second triangular plate holding the two chassis pieces together on the top of the chassis, and bolted together with seven bolts.

I cut up a one piece chassis for the original ZX-S and used it for this. All ZX-S Evolutions have an alloy plate, but its actually weak (the ZXS never really got the full development plan Kyosho normally give their designs, so a lot of items that were weak never got redeveloped) and bends, hence why I did it.

The plastic lexan is the cover on the front and rear diffs over the gearboxes, and are easily made from leftovers on a bodyshell or wings.

The shell was done by one company that did Mark Pavidis' shells in the US, however they went bust so is a pity as they were well good. However I will have a couple more by someone else sometime soon.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

any chance for close-up pics on theat frontend?

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Hope this helps.
Attachments
DSC00421.JPG

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

ok, I got it now: the 7 bolts you mention are the 3 in triangle on the nose section and 4 around them in the front section of the chassis, right?

I may use that idea if I find a broken kicked up chassis with sufficient front end left. I' think I'd extend it further down to the back though...

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Yup, as you can see in the picture, the four bolts are in front of the triangle, and the three other ones are in the triangle. It works fine, and does make it a bit more manouverable than the ZXR.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

How many degrees kickup in the nose and how many on the inner hingepins? oh, and how many degrees leanback (?) on the axle of thesteering knuckle?

Where did you get the knicked carbon part off?
sorry for the many questions, Not being able to add Kick-up is something that bugged me for a long time on several builds.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

I have 7% castor camber at the front. Im unsure of the angle of the pivot poles, but is standard kit item angle.

Angle is simple to do, if you want more angle on the rear just put a spacer under the pivot block mount (I did this on the 501X) on the front of the wishbones and also you can turn the rear block upside down (I did this with the ZXR, and so did all the UK team Kyosho drivers as well as it gave more feeling and grip). The front on the ZXR didnt have any on the chassis but I used the top holes on the front gear box casing and this gave more than enough kick up.

The carbon fibre kick up plate I cut from a Lazer ZXS (the other version) one piece chassis that has seen a lot of racing and decided to cut it up and chuck the rest. I have the same design of cell layout with Fibre lyte, and a few other alterations but they could not do me any kick up plates, as it is hard work to do it. I have a great relationship with these guys and they would try and do it if they could.

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

yes fibrelyte said the same to me re kickup on a chassis

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Well here are my new shells, and took forever to get finished. However very soon these will be attached to both my shelf car (the unused prototype) and my racing one.
Attachments
Welsh Dragon Shells.jpg

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Well Kyosho have done me a big favour and sorted me out with twenty five rear belts. They searched the Kyosho warehouse, then the belt manufactuer looked as well and found 40.

Now I know if anyone out there is interested in parts for the Lazer ZX-S, I know that Kyosho Japan have only got 15 left.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Well I have also managed to locate 10 front belts as well, so my spares are quite impressive for this car. I will be testing some parts soon for the ZX models and eventually will have molds made up for me for the plastic bits on the ZX-S and I can have them in Blue so game on.

Anyway my friend Manolis has made me an alloy front gearbox for the ZX-S. Instead of a five piece gearbox (two side pieces on the bottom, two side pieces on the top, and one directly over the top two) he has made a three piece (two bottom and a one pieces solid section on the top. He also made me a pivot block as well for the front and is a work of art, and the only one just like the rear alloy block. When I can be bothered I will have it anodised as well
Attachments
BBY al front bulkheads and plastic upper deck-tower mts[1].JPG
DSC00470.JPG
DSC00468.JPG
DSC00468.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
DSC00468.JPG
DSC00468.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
DSC00469.JPG
DSC00467.JPG

Dieseler
Approved Member