Lazer ZX-S

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Re: Lazer ZX-S

Post by minimini »

Kyosho Fan2 wrote:The front section is a one off piece of carbon fibre, and most probably the only one of its kind. The chassis is a three piece chassis, a front plate with kick up, a second triangular plate holding the two chassis pieces together on the top of the chassis, and bolted together with seven bolts.

I cut up a one piece chassis for the original ZX-S and used it for this. All ZX-S Evolutions have an alloy plate, but its actually weak (the ZXS never really got the full development plan Kyosho normally give their designs, so a lot of items that were weak never got redeveloped) and bends, hence why I did it.

The plastic lexan is the cover on the front and rear diffs over the gearboxes, and are easily made from leftovers on a bodyshell or wings.

The shell was done by one company that did Mark Pavidis' shells in the US, however they went bust so is a pity as they were well good. However I will have a couple more by someone else sometime soon.
I had a chat with the Team Atlas Hong Kong sole agent before.......he said actually the ZXS/ZXS-Evo were designed/produced by Team Atlas Japan........so that's why you can see they got some shadows of the TF2 Team Atlas version..........& that may explain why ZXS never got full development by Kyosho lateron.........(own son vs adopted son......... :( .....)........also........ the total number they produced were small.........not worth to put further resources in the development......... :(
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Team atlas did a lot of development and the diff design is what really made the difference. The numbers were small but they couldnt get it to be an all rounder and was only superb on clay but carpet and grass its rubbish without major development. I can see why they ended up using it for a test bed for the ZX-5. Still it was an engineering masterpiece and ive almost redone the car and is much better than it was in the original design. This prototype is carrying on its life as one. Im also carrying on developing the diffs. Its fun and when its ready Shin will see it go, if not next year the following one. Heck he was in my 2wd race two weeks ago and should have brought it.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

What do you run in 2WD?

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Welshy is running an B2

mvh Isobarik

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Yup a B2 that still needs a lot of work. In a straight line shin was slower but i lacked a lot with the slipper being unable to handle the motor and the balance on the jumps and on the corners. Still plenty of time to sort it out before the next race. ZXS wont be run then, but my design ZXR-S will be and ive a few ideas already on where the extra 220 grsms will be going to balance it out. Also trying to get my tub chassis made again, with a few changes for Lipo and my repositioning of the servo.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Can I ask if anyone has re-made the front gearbox housing yet? I know these are weak (see-shock tower mounts) and I thought I saw someone was tackling the issue by redesigning this part somewhere.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Someone ought to recreate the '90's MMS upgraded part - machined nylon gearbox front and tower with a roll-over "hoop" to strengthen it / avoid digging in and snapping.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Fiberlyte has the file to make a very similar shock tower, but I agree with the nylon front gearbox. I think a guy in the o0ple forums was working on a delrin one though, not sure how far along he is though.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Yes i asked my mate Dyna on oople to make me a mold without brass belt tensioner lump. However if you buy the same tower like the mms above from fibre lyte you wont need a new gearbox casing. The towers strength is what saves the gearbox however you may need to file away your lump on the standard gearbox casing to get a flush fit.

An example on how strong it is, with of course alloy pivot blocks. I was going flat out with my 10d corally down the straight when a YZ10 lost control and jumped the track and hit me head on and only a scratch on the wishbone and the yokomo had a broken wishbone, shock tower, shocks, tie rod and bent ujs and i rexkon the tower helped big time in saving my car.

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

I just a newer of kyosho buggy,but it is so hard to find lazer zx-s/zx-s evo,so rare they are.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Rare yes and ive got two prototype ZX--S Evo's. One was built as backup and never ran so is brand new built and is up for grabs for 750 pounds. Pm me if you want.